Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Host file 1 Entry Un-Immunized

Exclamation Host file 1 Entry Un-Immunized

For some reason as of yesterdays updates I have 1 entry in the Global Hosts ghat won't Immunize. The Only security Software I have are: AVAST, Commodo Firewall, Spyware Blaster and Malware Bytes On-demand Scanner and I always turn Commodo Of as that slows down the Immunization process.

Any Ideas?
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

Hello,

Do you have Spybot - Search & Destroy 1.6.2 or an older version?

Some users have reported that they use SpySweeper or SpywareBlaster and shutting them down solves the problem. ZoneAlarm might also block the global hosts. If you go to Firewall in ZoneAlarm on the left and then the main tab in the upper right then go down to the advance button and click on it you will see under General setting "Lock Hosts file".

Further please try the following:
    Open Spybot > Immunize > under Windows uncheck Global (Hosts). Go into Spybot > Mode > Advanced Mode > Tools > Hosts file > and then click on the "Add Spybot S&D hosts list" button. Go back into Spybot > Immunize

The problem that not all global host entries have been immunized has also been discussed in our forum:
    Can't immunize some items
    Immunize won't do all - Global (Hosts) not complete
    Cannot immunize 6370 Global (Hosts)

Best regards
    Sandra
    Team Spybot

Question

I am using Spybot 1.6.3.51 and I've tried the advice given and it still won't immunize 1 item in the (Global) Hosts So I'm thinking it's a bug with the Updates file.

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

Terminator:

I am getting all 10558 items in Spybot's HOSTS file entries added to the HOSTS file correctly, so I don't think "it's a bug with the Updates file".

Have you attempted to "Undo" the HOSTS file immunization and then "Immunize" the HOSTS file again?
    • Go into Spybot > Immunize.
    • Right click on the right hand pane and select "Deselect all".
    • Scroll down to the bottom of the right hand pane and under Windows check "Global (Hosts)".
    • Click the "Undo" button at the top of the right pane.
    • Click the "Immunize" button at the top of the right pane.

If that does not work, you could attempt to restore your HOSTS file to the default and then attempt to immunize it again.

Restore your default HOSTS file:
    • Download HostsXpert from the following site:

The page for HostsXpert is:

The direct download URL for HostsXpert.zip is:
    • After downloading HostsXpert.zip, unzip (extract) the content of the file into a known location.
    • Execute HostsXpert.
    • If the first button in the left hand pane is "Make Writeable?", click on the button.
    • Click on the "Restore MS Hosts File" button.
    • When you receive the following confirmation dialog click "OK".
      • Confirm
        Press OK to Restore Microsofts original Hosts File
        [OK] [Cancel]

Add Spybot's Hosts file as follows:
    • Scroll down to the bottom of the right hand pane and under Windows check "Global (Hosts)".
    • Click the "Immunize" button at the top of the right pane (the button with large green plus sign)?

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by md usa spybot fan View Post
    Terminator:

I am getting all 10558 items in Spybot's HOSTS file entries added to the HOSTS file correctly, so I don't think "it's a bug with the Updates file".

Have you attempted to "Undo" the HOSTS file immunization and then "Immunize" the HOSTS file again?
    • Click the "Undo" button at the top of the right pane.
    • Click the "Immunize" button at the top of the right pane.
    If that does not work, you could attempt to restore your HOSTS file to the default and then attempt to immunize it again.

Restore your default HOSTS file:
    • Download HostsXpert from the following site:
      The page for HostsXpert is:
      The direct download URL for HostsXpert.zip is:
    • After downloading HostsXpert.zip, unzip (extract) the content of the file into a known location.
    • Execute HostsXpert.
    • If the first button in the left hand pane is "Make Writeable?", click on the button.
    • Click on the "Restore MS Hosts File" button.
    • When you receive the following confirmation dialog click "OK".
      • Confirm
        Press OK to Restore Microsofts original Hosts File
        [OK] [Cancel]
    Add Spybot's Hosts file as follows:
    • Click the "Immunize" button at the top of the right pane (the button with large green plus sign)?
    I have repeatedly tried that and all the other methods mentioned in the 2nd post and I still have this 1 entry that simply refuses to Immunize.

Unhappy

I have no idea what could be causing this as I have not installed any new security software or updates that could possibly conflict with Spybot.

Lightbulb

BTW I'm using Vista Home Premium SP1 (and yes I have set spybot to run as the administrator) with Internet Explorer 7.

Exclamation

Quick update:

I've just tried to immunize in Safe Mode and it didn't work so theres either something wrong with my copy of spybot or there is somthing within Windows its self thats interfering with the Immunization proccess

Question

What strikes me as strange is that somewhere between last weeks updates (which worked fine) and this weeks updates somthing has gone wrongand I'm 99% sure it's nothing my end as all I've installed are a Security Update for Excel 2003 and the WinRar 3.90 Beta 1.

I don't have any of the usual programs that are known to cause problems (e.g. ZoneAlarm etc) so I'm at a loss to explain whats going on.

Bitman once said before that he doubts that any user will visit a handful of those sites (in the HOSTS file) during their lifetime. One site I doubt will make a difference. If you have not upgraded to Microsoft Internet Explorer 8 it might be a good idea.

Don't lose sleep over one site Terminator.