Thread: Spybot prevents opening PDF files

Default Spybot prevents opening PDF files

SpyBot 1.6.2 is running on my Windows 2000 system, and I've encountered a new problem since the update from 1.6.0.

Sometimes, I download a PDF file and save it to my desktop for easy access. When I click on the file icon to open it in the Adobe Viewer (version 8), the SpyBot checker opens. It lists the file name twice, checks both iterations, does not find any problem, and that's it. I can't open the file without closing SpyBot, but when I click on the file icon again, SPyBot reopens and the same thing happens. An endless loop and hangup.

Instead, if I open the Viewer, I can readily open the downloaded file without SpyBot getting involved.

Is there a setting to tell SpyBot to let me open downloaded files that are saved on my Desktop? Am I missing some other really simple feature?

Hope some of you experts can help me solve this irritating situation.

Hello,

To disable the single files scan please open the registry editor by:
    (a)
    press windowskey + r then enter "regedit" (without quotation marks)
    or
    (b)
    click on "start" , then "run" and enter "regedit" (without quotation marks)

(a+b)
    and then browse to the following path.

Please delete the following registry keys:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shell\sdfiles
    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder\shell\sdfiles

For more information, please take a look into our forums: http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=30678

Best regards
    Sandra
    Team Spybot

Default Single file scanning

Thank you, Sandra, for the instructions to stop SpyBot from scanning single PDF files. Your advice worked. I would never have found this item in the FAQs or knowledge base because I didn't know what to call it in a search, so was getting no appropriate returns.

My apology to the other responder for violating the purpose of the forum. I'll do my best to avoid such a situation again.

Lightbulb you did not violate anything...

Quote Originally Posted by BFrick View Post
    Thank you, Sandra, for the instructions to stop SpyBot from scanning single PDF files. Your advice worked. I would never have found this item in the FAQs or knowledge base because I didn't know what to call it in a search, so was getting no appropriate returns.

My apology to the other responder for violating the purpose of the forum. I'll do my best to avoid such a situation again.
    Thats just a signature the team member has to let members know not to Pm us. Pm is private messaging. You did use the forums. So you did nothing wrong