Thread: Possible Bug: Explorer hangs on start for a few seconds

WorkSafe

Default Possible Bug: Explorer hangs on start for a few seconds

Hello there.

I just reinstalled my Windows Vista Business 32bit yesterday because everytime I open an explorer window (and no other explorer is open, so a new process instance is created) the window hangs for about 4-5 seconds, that's very annoying. I should mention that I enabled the setting "Launch folder windows in a separate process" in the folder options.

After reinstallation of Windows (and all updates), I began reinstalling all my standard programs, including Spybot. After every program-installation I checked if the explorer hangs to find out which program is causing this.

And just after installation of Spybot, the problem occurs. I have chosen to install everything but TeaTimer, and disabled the integration in the windows security center. Even after uninstallation of Spybot (and a restart), the problem stays. Fortunately, I created a system restore point before the installation, so I could roll everything back. After resetting the system to this restore point, the system works fine again.

So, what settings or files stay in the system even after uninstalling of Spybot? I don't want to miss this great program, but waiting that long for just opening an explorer window annoying. The installed version is Spybot 1.6.2 and I dare to say, that this did not happen in previous versions, I would have noticed that.

Comments and suggestions are very appreciated, thank you all!
    Last edited by WorkSafe; 2009-05-11 at 12:33.

If you IMMUNIZE with SpyBot, and uninstall it, the immunization entries remain in the Windows registry. In order to remove these, you need to UNDO all immunizations.

There have been several reports of SpyBot's IMMUNIZATION slowing down systems that have upgraded to IE8. And it seems that other non-related programs, such as opening Windows Explorer, have been impacted as well.

So try installing SpyBot again, but do NOT immunize. See if that makes the difference for you.

Note: You can choose which aspects of immunization you wish to apply. For example, if "complete" immunization is the culprit for you, see what happens if you check and immunize only the last entry: Global(HOSTS). That can still offer you much protection, and hopefully, without slowing down your system. If Global/HOSTS is also/still a problem, then undo all immunization.
    Last edited by ky331; 2009-05-11 at 14:02. Reason: proof read: removed extaneous word

WorkSafe

Yes, in fact I'm using IE8.

I had to disable all IE section in the immunization section, now it's almost as fast as without Spybot (and it's immunization).

Hopefully, there will be a better solution somewhen.

Thank you for you help.
    Last edited by WorkSafe; 2009-05-11 at 14:42.

Thumbs up

Ok, here's a fix that definitely works for internet explorer 8 on WinXP and Windows Vista. I have a computer repair shop and have applied it about 20 times now and it works every time.

1. Open regedit
    2. Go to this key: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\ZoneMap
    3. Delete the following sub-folders: Domains, EscDomains, Ranges
    4. Go to this key: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\P3P
    5. Delete the sub-folder History
    6. Repeat steps 2-5, but in HKLM.

Note that not all the folders may be present. Just skip them.

techs,

yes, the fix you suggest will work... because it removes all immunization (IE restricted sites) as well as all trusted sites --- because Microsoft, in its infinite wisdom, decided to store both the bad/restricted and the good/trusted in the same ZoneMap registry location.

Most people are not comfortable editing the registry. UNDOing immunization within Spybot (and within SpywareBlaster, for those who use it), is safer for the average user. It gets the job done, but without removing one's trusted sites.

Alternatively, there is a "hybrid" approach available: a tiny file called DelDomains.inf which can be downloaded from http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/restricted.htm
    Right-clicking on the downloaded file, and selecting install, will automatically remove the domains, escdomains, and ranges entries you've cited above (but not the P3P history). Again, this approach removes the trusted sites as well the restricted sites.

Quote Originally Posted by ky331 View Post
    techs,

yes, the fix you suggest will work... because it removes all immunization (IE restricted sites) as well as all trusted sites --- because Microsoft, in its infinite wisdom, decided to store both the bad/restricted and the good/trusted in the same ZoneMap registry location.

Most people are not comfortable editing the registry. UNDOing immunization within Spybot (and within SpywareBlaster, for those who use it), is safer for the average user. It gets the job done, but without removing one's trusted sites.

Alternatively, there is a "hybrid" approach available: a tiny file called DelDomains.inf which can be downloaded from http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/restricted.htm
    Right-clicking on the downloaded file, and selecting install, will automatically remove the domains, escdomains, and ranges entries you've cited above (but not the P3P history). Again, this approach removes the trusted sites as well the restricted sites.
    Yes, the DelDomains.inf is pretty good. I am considering using it instead of the .reg I have written that deletes the keys.
    I actually like removing of the trusted sites and letting my user re-set them up since they usually have just upgraded to ie8 and many have not checked their trusted sites for some time.
    I am glad other people are aware of this kind of fix.
    However, the idea to just remove immunization was not always working, which is why I have been going with the editing the registry.