Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help with determining results

Default Help with determining results

Sorry if this has been asked before, but could someone tell me what these results mean (i think they are spyware, but wanna make sure) also what is the best way of dealing with them?

Avenue A, Inc
    BFast
    CasaleMedia
    CoreMetrics
    DoubleClick
    Download Accelerator Plus Ads
    DyFuCA.InternetOptimizer
    FastClick
    ISearchTech.ISTactiveX
    ISearchTech.ISTbar
    ISearchTech.YSB
    LinkSynergy
    SexTracker
    SurfAccuracy
    TargetNet
    Unknown
    ValueClick
    Web3000
    WebInstall
    WebTrends live
    Windows Security Centre.AntivirusDisableNotify
    Windows Security Centre.AntivirusOverride
    Windows Security Centre.FirewallDisableNotify

Thanks for any assistance that the experts can provide

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

Musikmn:

What anti-virus and/or internet security software are you running?

re: Windows Security Center.AntiVirusOverride

• Go into Start > Control Panel > Security Center > look at the right hand side of the window and check the settings under "Virus Protection" (expand if necessary). I believe that you have overridden the protections and that you will find a button labeled "Recommendations". If you click on the "Recommendations" button I believe that you will get a window that indicates something like:
      • I have an antivirus program that I'll monitor myself.
        Note: Windows won't monitor your virus protection status and won't send you alerts if it is off or out of date.

If you are running an anti-virus program, I suggest that you un-check this statement, back out and see what happens (warning, alerts, Spybot scan detections, etc.).

re: Windows Security Center.FirewallDisableNotify
    Windows Security Center.AntiVirusDisableNotify

• If you go into Start > Control Panel > Security Center > Resources (on the left hand side of the window – expand if necessary) > click "Change the way Security Center alerts me". This brings up an "Alert Setting" window.

There are three possible alerts:
      • Firewall
        Alert me if my computer might be at risk because of my firewall settings
      • Automatic Updates
        Alert me if my computer might be at risk because of my Automatic Updates settings
      • Virus Protection
        Alert me if my computer might be at risk because of my virus protection software settings

I believe that you will find that the first and third items are unchecked. These alerts could have been turned off manually, by some security solution (see Note #1) or by malware. Spybot-S&D is alerting that there is an abnormal setting in the Windows Security Center that requires your attention.

For more information see:
      Spybot & Windows Security Centre.....warning
      http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=75

Note #1: Some security solutions such as McAfee SecurityCenter (if you set it as your default Security Center) or Norton Internet Security turn off these alerts and handle alerts themselves.

re: Tracking cookies
    • The following are tracking cookies:
      • Avenue A, Inc.
      • BFast
      • CoreMetrics
      • DoubleClick
      • FastClick
      • LinkSynergy
      • SexTracker
      • TargetNet
      • ValueClick
      • WebTrends live

Tracking Cookies are cookies stored on your computer by a 3rd party not directly related to the web site you're currently viewing. The intention of this cookie is to track your movement as you surf between sites.

Tracking cookie – blocking

If you are running Internet Explorer the storing of these particular Tracking Cookies can be prevented by enabling Spybot's Browser Helper Object (BHO). To do this go into Spybot-S&D > Immunize. Look in the last section labeled "Permanently running bad download blocker for Internet Explorer". Check the following:
      • "Enable permanent blocking of bad addresses in Internet Explorer"

There is another way to prevent the storing of Tracking Cookies in Internet Explorer (even those not blocked by Spybot's resident BHO) as well as the storing of Tracking Cookies in other WEB browsers. See:

re: the other items on your list.
    • These items are various forms of malware and should be fixed. If spybot fails to fix any of the problems, there are two things that you can try to get rid of the things that Spybot-S&D is having difficulty removing:
      1. Try to run it the next time you reboot.
        • Go into Spybot > Mode > Advanced mode > Settings > Settings > look for "System start" (located half way down the page).
        • Check the option: "Run program once at next system startup".
        • Reboot the system.
      2. Run it in Safe mode.
        • Reboot your system in Safe mode (See Note #2) and run Spybot-S&D.

If Spybot-S&D still fails to remove the problems you can request assistance in the Malware Removal forum and have someone take a look at your system. Follow the instructions here:

Then post in the following forum:

Note #2: To reboot your system in Safe mode see:

Prevention:

Good luck.

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

I'm running AVG, Norton's Internet Security, Microsoft Defender, HiJack This, CWshredder & Spybot S&D

Sorry about the double post, but i dont seem to be able to edit posts.
    My browser that I use is Mozilla Firefox and also Internet Explorer (for some websites that dont work uising Mozilla)

In regards to the Trackers, are there any that are best to be left unfixed? Which ones?

Thanks for all help
    Thanks for your assistance

Musikmn

Please follow md usa spybot fan's instructions so someone can assist you.

If Spybot-S&D still fails to remove the problems you can request assistance in the Malware Removal forum and have someone take a look at your system. Follow the instructions here:

Then post in the following forum:

Please read the sticky in the malware removal forum before posting.
    I moved this topic:
    http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=5017 to the Spybot-S&D forum.

Cheers.
    Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2018-
    Windows Insider MVP 2016-2018
    Microsoft Consumer Security MVP 2006-2016

Default Reply

You should also not have two AntiVirus programs running at the same time

To tashi: The malware got fixed, just the trackers are left, thanks

To SpySentinel: Which one do you recommend? AVG7 Free Edn OR Norton's Anti-virus 2003 (Expired) (could be part of my Internet security)

Why only 1 Antivirus? I thought multiple would ensure that AVG wasnt virused, say its infected and nortons picks it up & vice versa

Musikmn started a topic in the malware removal forum:
    http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=5026

So how did I get infected in the first place? By Tony Klein
    *It is important to note that all of the above programs/files can be run simultaneously on your system. They will work together in layers, so to speak, to help protect your computer. However, the following suggestions are designed to only run one of each. It is not a good idea to run more than one firewall, and one anti-virus program. Running more than one of these at a time can cause system crashes, high system usage and/or conflicts with each other.*
    At the least, more than one resident anti virus application can prevent each program from doing it's job as intended.

Quote Originally Posted by Musikmn
    OR Norton's Anti-virus 2003 (Expired) (could be part of my Internet security)
    Not that I personally would recommend Norton to anyone but if it has expired of what use is it at all.
    Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2018-
    Windows Insider MVP 2016-2018
    Microsoft Consumer Security MVP 2006-2016

How would I uninstall then? Is there a specific way, seeing that there are viruses quarantiened?

& you would trust AVG over Nortons? Cause I get a heating problem when I run AVG, it goes into the 50s