Thread: Internal Speaker

Default Internal Speaker

When I connect to the internet (dial-up) my internal speaker is very loud and annoying. Is there a volume control for that or could I just disable the noise from the dial-up?
    I don't want to disable the speaker because I use it for other notifications. But if there is a way to disable the speaker and that is the only thing that I can do then I would like to know.

Emeritus

poke around in: start>settings>control panel look for anything like modem, phone or network connections. Check the settings/options in any of those.
    How Can I Reduce My Risk?

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

Bithpq:

You may or may not be able to control the volume of the internal speaker depending on the system, OS, drivers, etc. (none of which you shared).

If the internal speaker can be controlled, it is possible that it can be controlled by Volume Control. To see:
    • Double click on the Volume icon in the System Tray (System Notification Area) of the task bar.
    • Mute all the devices and see of any this stops the problem.
      1. If it does, through the process of elimination determine the device and lower the sound volume.
      2. If not, add other sound devices as follows and replete the process:
        • To display other sound devices, in the Options menu, click Properties.
        • In the Properties dialog box, click Playback and select the check box next to the device you want to display (it can be Internal Speaker, Front, etc. or you may not be able to control the volume of the internal speaker via the Volume Control dialog.

Note: You must click OK after checking a device

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

Quote Originally Posted by shelf life View Post
    poke around in: start>settings>control panel look for anything like modem, phone or network connections. Check the settings/options in any of those.
    That solved my problem.
    I went into network connections. Went to properties on the internet connection and in the "general" tab i clicked on configure. Then unchecked "use modem speaker"