Thread: The Clock

Default The Clock

I not sure but I think that the clock on the forums is off by about a hour. I checked my settings and it is set to GMT -6 which is correct but the time is off by an hour.

(hmm... maybe I'm living somewhere else? hmm... I wonder...)

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

Bithpq:

In the your Control Panel > Edit Options > Date & Time Options > Time Zone, how do you have the "DST (Daylight Savings Time) Correction Option" set?

Try "Automatically detect DST settings".

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

Quote Originally Posted by md usa spybot fan View Post
    Try "Automatically detect DST settings".
    It was already set to that. But I turned it to "always on" and the time is now right but now at the bottom it says "All times are GMT-5." and I have it set to GMT-6.
    Last edited by Bithpq; 2009-06-06 at 23:10. Reason: Unfinnished

Bithpq:

You may or may not be able to control the volume of the internal speaker depending on the system, OS, drivers, etc. (none of which you shared).

If the internal speaker can be controlled, it is possible that it can be controlled by Volume Control. To see:
    • Double click on the Volume icon in the System Tray (System Notification Area) of the task bar.
    • Mute all the devices and see of any this stops the problem.
      1. If it does, through the process of elimination determine the device and lower the sound volume.
      2. If not, add other sound devices as follows and replete the process:
        • To display other sound devices, in the Options menu, click Properties.
        • In the Properties dialog box, click Playback and select the check box next to the device you want to display (it can be Internal Speaker, Front, etc. or you may not be able to control the volume of the internal speaker via the Volume Control dialog.

Note: You must click OK after checking a device

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

Bithpq:

Please ignore my previous reply. I was working on an answer to two (2) of your questions at the same time and got interrupted. The above reply should be in response to this query:

_____

What OS are you running and is it up-to-date?

What do your OS setting say for date and time:
    • Go into Control Panel.
    • If you are in Category View click on Date, Time, Language, and Regional Options.
    • Date and Time.
    • In the Date and Time Properties dialog select the Time Zone tab.
      • Is the proper time zone selected?
      • Automatically adjust clock for daylight saving changes?

Quote Originally Posted by md usa spybot fan View Post
    What OS are you running and is it up-to-date?
    Windows XP SP3 up-to-date
    I check and all properties are right.

Bithpq:

The forum times appear correct to me (when I am logged on to the forum). My time currently says "All times are GMT -4" which is correct for EDT (Eastern Daylight Time).

In addition, when I access the forum when not logged on the forum indicates "All times are GMT +2" which is consistent with CEST (Central European Summer Time) where the forum is hosted.

In the past I have also noted that the forum times appear to be correct even when the seasonal time changes in the USA/Canada (EST to EDT) and Europe (CET to CEST) are out of synchronization (see Note #1):
    • EST (Eastern Standard Time) - First Sunday in November to second Sunday in
    • EDT (Eastern Daylight Time) – Second Sunday in March to the first Sunday in November.
    • CET (Central European Time) - Last Sunday in October to the last Sunday in March.
    • CEST (Central European Summer Time) - Last Sunday in March to the last Sunday in October.

I'm also running Windows XP SP3 and had originally applied the Update for Windows XP (KB931836) which dealt with "… revised Daylight Saving Time laws in many countries" on Tuesday, February 13, 2007, although I believe that that patch is now incorporated in regular Windows/Windows Office updates.

If your system has the proper UTC/GMT (Universal Time Clock/Greenwich Mean Time) set and the offsets in the various software components (Windows and the Safer Networking Forum) are set properly, I'm sorry but I don't what could be causing the problem..

Note #1: Periods when seasonal time changes between USA/Canada (EST to EDT) and Europe (CET to CEST) are out of synchronization:
    1. Second Sunday in March to the Last Sunday in March.
    2. Last Sunday in October to the first Sunday in November.
    Last edited by md usa spybot fan; 2009-06-08 at 17:38.

Esteemed Member

From what I've read above, I'd bet this is actually a simple misunderstanding of how the daylight savings time shift displays. Though you might be located in the Central Time zone, which is GMT-6, during Daylight Savings this will display instead as GMT-5.

This doesn't seem correct I know, but rather than display as GMT-6 with a +1 hour offset, it displays as if you have shifted one hour east instead. This gives the same result, it's just not clear when you're focused on the offset as it normally relates to a location.

Bitman

Bitman:

Quote Originally Posted by bitman View Post
    .... Though you might be located in the Central Time zone, which is GMT-6, during Daylight Savings this will display instead as GMT-5. ...
    As usual you may have hit the nail on the head.

Bithpq:

If you select:
    • "Post Reply" to this thread.
    • Page to the bottom of the entry screen.
    • Highlight the forum time stamp (All times are GMT -h. The time now is hh:mm).
    • Copy that data (Ctrl+C).
    • Then paste (Ctrl+V) those results to the new post in this thread.

If that paste includes the GMT offset as well as the actual time it may help determine your problem.

It would also be helpful if you indicated where you are located (I hope it isn't Indiana because I still haven't figured out day light time shifts yet).
    Last edited by md usa spybot fan; 2009-06-08 at 23:01.