Thread: Hosts File Problem??

Question Hosts File Problem??

Have SS&D installed and have not had any problems using it (apart from some immunisation issues). Also have Spyware Doctor and following a scan, it picked up a Spyware.Possible_Website_Hijack detection within the Hosts file which it was unable to remove (127.0.0.1, w*w.spywareinfo.com and 127.0.0.1 spywareinfo.com). Contacted the Spyware Doctor help desk and this is their reply:

About Spyware.Possible_Website_Hijack detection, we have received an update from our Research Center about the issue.

The Spyware.possible_website_hijack detections you are experiencing is caused by Spybot.
    Spybot appears to be detecting spywareinfo.com as malicious therefore it is utilizing the host file to prevent access to this site, however on Spyware Doctor's side this site contains no malicious entries therefore it is removing host file entries that are trying block access to legitimate sites, in this case spywareinfo.com.

I wonder if anyone else has had similar potential conflict issues and whether this is something I should be concerned about.

Thanks

Redkola

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

Redkola:

The detection of spywareinfo.com in the Spybot's HOSTS file is most likely a Spyware Doctor false positive (detection). Spybot added spywareinfo.com to the HOSTS file intentionally because the site was sold by the original owner and started advertizing rouge software. Please review the following:
    Last edited by md usa spybot fan; 2009-06-15 at 23:59.

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

Hi

Thanks for the quick response.

I had my suspicions that it was a false detection by Spyware Doctor - they must be a bit slow in updating their database etc.

Cheers

Redkola
    Last edited by Redkola; 2009-06-16 at 00:37.

i nearly got caught out on this one,WOT alerted me before i entered.

that site should spybots hosts file off stopped me from trying to enter before WOT alerted me or not?

i have a issiue with webroots commication shield not passing through my firewall unless i boot into safe mode and immmunise from there,then reboot,not 100% sure if its a incompatibly issue with webroot and zone alarm.
    last time i asked they pushed there firewall on me instead off telling me,and i dont like there firewall.

so i am not sure if i could go to a bad site that has been added to the hosts file,unless i try,i dont think i will know unless i did try to (not inc useing WOT),or do you have any suggestions?

(i have dissabled tea timmer btw if this has any impact)
    edit tyops
    Last edited by kinos; 2009-06-16 at 01:22.