Thread: can't reinstall WordWeb

Default can't reinstall WordWeb

Hi, I had a 'false positive' (?) with Win32.Agent.Bbzv, and SBSD would not allow me to reinstall WordWeb.

Today, I have carried out the lastest update, which I understood would correct the situation. However, when I try to reinstall, I just get a flash of the command screen (if that's what it's called?) with Tea Timer, and then nothing. It is not allowing WordWeb to install. I have rebooted after the update.

I have Windows XP Pro SP3, Internet Explorer 8, AVG Anti-Virus free, Spybot-S&D, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, SpywareBlaster. All updates up-to-date.

Can someone tell me how I can have Spybot-S&D allow me to reinstall WordWeb please?

Thank you!
    katri

hello,

please try the following:
    1)
    • right click the Resident tray icon
    • select "Reset lists"

if this did not resolve the issue, try the following:
    2)
    • start Spybot S&D
    • switch to advanced mode
    • navigate to Tools - Resident
    • disable the checkbox for Resident TeaTimer
    • in Windows Explorer navigate to C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy
    • rename the ProcCache.sbc to old_ProcCache.sbc_old
    • in Spybot S&D reenable the checkbox for Resident TeaTimer

if this also did not resolve the issue, you need to disable the TeaTimer
    3)
    • within Spybot S&D navigate to Tools - Resident like in 2)
    • disable the checkbox for Resident TeaTimer to permanently disable the TeaTimer
    born in the shadow to die in the shadow, that is the fate of the shinobi

Spybot S&D Downloads

Please help us improve Spybot and download our distributed testing client.

Hi, I have lodged a request for help for this, but now am unable to reply to the response by Yodama. This has occured earlier too, when I tried to reply to a current thread but had to start a new one to put my question.

I'm not skilled with these things and do not know how else to work around it, so I hope that to put my reply here will be ok.

My reply to Yodama is:
    ```````````````````
    Yodama, thank you for your reply.

"Reset lists" did not facilitate installation of WordWeb.

I have unchecked Resident TeaTimer in advanced mode, however I was unable to find ProcCache.sbc

The list of folders displayed in my Windows Explorer:
    C:/Documents and Settings
    >Administrator
    >All Users
    >Desktop
    >Favorites
    >Shared Documents
    >(contains 3 folders - music, pictures & video)
    >Start Menu
    >(contains program folders)

Spybot - S&D is not listed among those folders.

I did find
    C:Program Files
    >Spybot - Search & Destroy
    >Dummies
    >Help
    >Includes
    >Languages
    >Plugins
    >Skins
    >Updates

However, none of these folders contain the file ProcCache.sbc

I'm sorry, that I am most unskilled with computer, and I don't know where else to look. Could you suggest please, and then I will complete the procedure?

I am concerned to turn off Tea Timer permanently. I understand it is preferable for higher security that Tea Timer is always enabled. Am I misunderstanding this?

Thank you,
    katri
    Last edited by tashi; 2009-07-02 at 18:13. Reason: Merged two topics ;-)

Hello,

if you cannot find this folder: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy

You will need to change the Windows Explorer settings to display hidden files and folders, please do the following:
    • open an Explorer window
    • click on Tools, then select Folder options
    • switch to the view tab
    • activate display contents of system folders
    • activate show hidden files and folders
    • deactivate hide extensions for known file types
    • click on apply to all folders
    • click on yes, then on ok
    • close the Explorer window
    • now open a new Explorer window and look for C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy

Spybot S&D Downloads

-1-
    Hello Tashi -- thank you for moving my post to the right place in this topic. And I guess you also have fixed the reply option, because now it works for me! I appreciate your help.

-2-
    Hello Yodama, thank you for the extra instructions... it opened a whole lot more of my computer that I could not see. It's good when you know what you're doing <g>.

Well, I followed all your instructions, and after every stage, I then tried to reinstall WordWeb, but it still does not work. Even after, at the end, I left Tea Timer disabled.

Do you have any other suggestions?

If not, then I am thinking maybe I have to uninstall Spybot-S&D, and reinstall fresh. If that is my only option left, can you tell me please -- are there any special instructions for uninstall, to be sure there is no interference with the new install from the left over old files?

Thank you for your help!
    katri

Hello Katri,

with TeaTimer disabled Spybot S&D has no more means of stopping the installation of WordWeb. So uninstalling Spybot S&D will most likely make no difference. On the other hand going for a fresh install won't hurt.
    Please also consider downloading a fresh installer for WordWeb.

If you have other security software installed, it can also interfere with the installation of WordWeb, so temporarily disabling these during the installation of WordWeb may help.

Spybot S&D Downloads

My apologies, but again for some reason, I'm unable to "reply" within my thread -- it just keeps going back to tell me that I'm not logged in. I can only write by starting a new thread. So maybe someone can move this for me, like someone very kindly did before when it happened. Thank you for your help!

My reply to Yodama is as follows:
    ````````````````````````````

Yodama, thank you very much for your help.

I'm sorry it's taken me a little while to get back to you, but I had trouble downloading the new versions of Spybot-S&D and WordWeb due to my (super!) slow dial-up connection and had to organize some help with that.

However, they have now been downloaded, the old programs have been uninstalled and new installations done, and working without any problems. It's such a relief! and I much appreciate your help.

Kudos to you! and best wishes,

katri.
    Have a great weekend!
    PS. As a point of interest, I did a search for the wordweb5.exe file and it was not to be found anywhere in my computer, hidden files included. I am guessing that the file was wiped out when I selected "automatically kill this process" after SBSD found the false positive (so ofcourse, that's why it would not re-install). A lesson for me to read more carefully before taking action next time
    Last edited by tashi; 2009-07-11 at 19:14. Reason: merged 2 topics :-)