Thread: SpybotSD.exe shows in Task Manager but won't open

Default SpybotSD.exe shows in Task Manager but won't open

I'm having this weird issue with SpybotSD.exe where I try to open it and nothing happens. I'm running Windows Vista 64-bit SP2. When I try to open it, I get the Windows UAC prompt and then once I click to allow it, it never opens. However, it shows up under Task Manager. There is SpybotSD.exe*32 in the processes tab and I cannot shut it off. If I try to end the process, nothing happens. If I try opening Spybot again, it just shows up as a second process in the Task Manager and the actual program never opens. But for some reason I can end that second process but the original one will never go away.

I can't figure out what it could possibly be. It's driving me crazy! Please help!!

You could try this:
    http://forums.spybot.info/showpost.p...82&postcount=3

If that doesn't work,please post back.

Thanks for your help! I removed a spyware software that I haven't been using and restarted and so far I haven't seen the problem come back. I tried your suggestions just so I know where they are for future use and I do have 3 files that have the .scr extension. They open the Spybot Resident in my taskbar. It seems to work for now so thanks for your help and I'll be sure to come back if I run into any other problems!

Ok,glad Spybot is working now.

Well so much for that theory. The same thing is happening again. SpybotSD.exe*32 will not leave my processes, and so therefore I cannot get Spybot S & D to open. I tried several of those .scr files and all they did was just add to the list of processes but no programs ever physically opened. I even resorted to trying Pskill, which I found here. But SpybotSD.exe*32 is still there. Nothing works. And I'm starting to think this random system lag that I get for a short second when using the internet is related to TeaTimer. It's the highest memory consuming process on my computer, ranking in at 85,652 K. I've about had it with Spybot, seeing as how I didn't have any of these problems until I installed it. Is there any reason why I should keep trying to find a solution? Is it worth all this? Sorry to be so frustrated.

Sorry to be so frustrated.
    np,I understand what its like to think something is fixed,then discover it isn't.

I removed a spyware software that I haven't been using and restarted and so far I haven't seen the problem come back.
    Which spyware software did you remove before?
    Could you try booting into safe mode,and starting Spybot?
    http://www.computerhope.com/issues/chsafe.htm#03
    Let me know how that goes,please.