Thread: SDHelper.dll crashing IE6 in Win XP Pro SP2

Default SDHelper.dll crashing IE6 in Win XP Pro SP2

SDHelper.dll has crashed my multiple IE6 browser windows sessions one too many times.
    Why is this happening and what can be done to mitigate?
    Thanks

It is possible that you have other conflicting browser add ons installed.
    Try disabling the them one by one to determine which one is conflicting with the SDHelper.
    Once the conflict is determined you need to decide which add on is more important to you, then you should disable one of them.

If you want to disable the SDHelper within Spybot S&D do the following:
    • start Spybot S&D
    • switch to advanced mode
    • navigate to tools - resident
    • disable the checkbox for Resident SDHelper
    born in the shadow to die in the shadow, that is the fate of the shinobi

Spybot S&D Downloads

Please help us improve Spybot and download our distributed testing client.

Hey Yodama ... thanks for the help ...

As this issue is intermittent and difficult to replicate on demand, I wonder if you'd mind looking at a screen shot of my current inventory of IE6 BHO's and BE's to see if you spot any likely culprits ... in the way of conflicting Add-ons.

Thanks, FFF
    In every corporate organization, there will be an individual who knows everything that goes on at any given moment - this person MUST be fired immediately!

Thats are a lot of add ons and extensions, since the screen shot does not appear to show the complete list please create a Spybot S&D report file, this will be listing all entries and we can go through them.

In the past there were issues with Google add-ons, try deactivating these to see if there are any improvements.

To create the Spybot S&D report file do the following:
    • start Spybot S&D
    • switch Spybot S&D into advanced mode
    • navigate to tools - view report
    • make sure that the following entries are activated: ActiveX list, BHO list
    • click on the green view report button
    • then click on export and save the report file to your desktop
    • you can attach the report file to your next post or send it to detections@spybot.info with a reference to this thread

Spybot S&D Downloads

Hey Yodama ... yeah, Microsoft didn't make the Manage Add-ons GUI window re-sizable, so, if you'll notice, I resized the columns and re-sorted by Type ... all BHO's and Browser Extensions are visible, however, I will also create the S&D report file and send it to detections with a ref to this thread.
    In the meantime, I will de-activate the Google Toolbar Notifier BHO to test IE6 stability with that particular BHO de-activated.
    Thanks again for the help. FFF
    In every corporate organization, there will be an individual who knows everything that goes on at any given moment - this person MUST be fired immediately!

Lightbulb

Get rid of the Google Toolbar, Upgrade to IE 8 and Service Pack 3.

I used to use the Google Toolbar But it gave me nothing but trouble so I got rid of it and I haven't used it since.
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

Hey Terminator ... thanks for helping out ...

I did disable the Google Toolbar Notifier BHO. We'll see what happens in terms of IE stability from here forward.
    I quite honestly don't know how I got that Google BHO as I scrupulously avoid taking Google's Toolbar whenever it is foisted on me ... as part of some other s/w update or install.

I will not upgrade IE from 6 to 7, or, 8, for that matter ... nor will I take the Windows XP SP3 ... I have found that those upgrades / updates (on a couple of other guinea pig PCs I keep for the purpose) are resource hogs and pretty much render otherwise perfectly good h/w too slow to be any longer useful.

Thanks just the same ... FFF

@Frankenstien

we received your report file and checked the listed add-ons for incompatibility with the SDHelper with a system set up to be comparable to yours.
    However we were not able to provoke a crash of the SDHelper.

Please make screen shot of the error message when the crash reoccurs.
    The error message may tell us more about the nature of this error.
    Also make sure that you have the most recent version of Spybot S&D installed.

Does the error occur on certain sites only or by random?

Please also consider upgrading your system as Terminator suggested.
    The upgrades contain various fixes and improvements which affect security and stability. The Internet Explorer 6 will also have more trouble with websites in the future since the "IE Hacks" will be less common due to more standard compliance by the newer versions of the Internet Explorer.

Spybot S&D Downloads

Lightbulb

Another thing you can try is completely removing Java from your computer as thats what I did when I had a lot of unexplained crashes and freeze ups and the problem has mostly disappeared. Using the "Reset Internet Explorer" option as a last resort can also help in some cases.
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it!