Thread: Can't update

Default Can't update

I recently posted this on a PC Tech Support forum, under the title, "Application cannot be executed..."

"The file so-and-so.exe is infected. Do you want to activate antivirus software now?

This message keeps popping up on the screen of my laptop, not only when I try to run programs but also randomly. The computer is a Sony Vaio laptop that my grandfather gave my family, so it is probably a couple of years old.

Any attempt to use the computer's built-in virus detection either fails, brings up internet explorer, or prompts me to buy software."

I followed the advice I received, downloading both Spybot Search and Destroy and AVG free antivirus software. I had tried AVG first, and after having it scan the computer, it had located two threats. The problem, however, did not cease.

So I am attempting to now use Spybot, but before my first scan, I need to update (is this correct?). When I select update, however, it reads of an error, and so I cannot get started.

I apologize now for being quite nearly hopeless when it comes to computer knowledge, but I greatly appreciate any help anyone can offer! Thank you very much for your time.

Hello,

So which error message do you get exactly when you try to update Spybot?

Best regards
    Sandra
    Team Spybot

It says, "Error retrieving update info file!" This message appears before any progress is made.

However, as I tested it right now for this post, it pulled up Firefox on a page about spybot-info or something along those lines. This hasn't happened before; is this what should happen? It didn't connect, however, because I have the internet cable plugged into the Mac I am currently using to type this.

Thank you for your help!

Hello,

1. The error message \"Error retrieving update info file\" usually appears when Spybot-S&D has accidently imported bad Internet Explorer proxy settings. In this case, it helps just to disable the proxy option in Spybot-S&D:
    Open the Settings section and go to the Settings page. Locate the Use proxy entry in the Automation - Web update category, and disable it.
    If you cannot see the Settings section, start Spybot-S&D in advanced mode (see your Start menu group for Spybot-S&D).

This information is also available in our How-To section (including a screenshot).

2. Please check your firewall. Most people who do not have problem #1 do have Spybot-S&D accidentally blocked in their firewall.

3. If nothing else works, you can still use the manual updater, which is available on the website: the Detection Update.
    (Notice: if the Info page does not show the correct update date after installing the updates with the manual updater, please ignore that - this will be fixed with the next release)

Best regards
    Sandra
    Team Spybot

I am trying the manual updates, but all pages with it and the mirrors seem to be down.

I had the same messages up as you earlier, "The file whatever.exe is infected Do you want to activate antivirus software now?" I tried to get it to stop, but it even said my task manager is infected! I finally restarted my computer and it seems to be gone, for now...

I'm trying to update Spybot now, and I have setup up right now, but I keep getting "Error Sending Request. A connection with the server cannot be established." is the server down, or is the problem at my end?

Hello,

During the installation Spybot tries to download the updates.
    You can disable this function in the wizard itself.
    Just untick the checkbox in front of "download updates during installation" or "Download Updates immediately".
    The updates can be downloaded later on.

For more information on updating please have a look at this link on our website.
    You can also download the updates manually.
    Here is the direct download link.
    Just download and run that file - it is self-installing.

Best regards
    Sandra
    Team Spybot

Thank you so much! That worked perfectly. Spybot almost immediately located and solved the problem (at least as it seems so far!), and I thank you for your detailed help.

Spybot has my support all the way!