Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Immunization Settings for Firefox Lost Every Time Browser Opened

Exclamation Immunization Settings for Firefox Lost Every Time Browser Opened

Upgrading to Firefox 3.5 has introduced an issue with Spybot Search & Destroy that didn't exist before. I notified them of this (modified version follows) but they refer me to you (very Microsoft-ian of them, isn't it?). Just FYI, this issue also affects the latest release of SpywareBlaster.

In any case, you might want to look into this...

//BEGIN
    Leaving "Site Preferences" checkbox checked in either of these places in Firefox 3.5:

1) Tools | Options... | Privacy | Settings...
    2) Tools | Clear Recent History...

results in the Firefox immunization protection offered by Spybot Search &
    Destroy 1.6.2 (cookies, images, installations, and popups) being wiped out. In the case of 1) above, the problem occurs simply by opening the Firefox 3.5 browser. In the case of 2) above the problem occurs when choosing to clear recent history (Ctrl+Shift+Del) in Firefox 3.5.

Unchecking the Firefox 3.5 "Site Preferences" checkbox in the places listed above resolves these issues -- but at the expense of me having to accept the possibility of site preference data being preserved within Firefox.

This problem did NOT exist until the installation of Firefox 3.5. I have the latest version of Spybot Search & Destroy with the latest definition files
    applied, and both were in place and functioning perfectly with the version of Firefox (3.0.11) I had in place prior to upgrading to FF 3.5. In fact, Spybot S&D has worked fine with all versions of Firefox prior to 3.5! The problem started immediately upon upgrading to Firefox 3.5. The result is a potential compromise to Firefox security.

Reproducible: Always

Steps to Reproduce:
    1. Verify that all Firefox immunization/protection offered by Spybot Search &
    Destroy 1.6.2 is in effect; close this program.
    2. Open Firefox 3.5
    3. Verify that the "Site Preferences" checkbox is checked in Tools | Options...
    | Privacy | Settings... (if not, check it and restart Firefox).
    4. Close Firefox.
    5. Repeat Step 1, which will show that all previously enabled Firefox
    protection is now disabled.

OR

1. Verify that all Firefox immunization/protection offered by Spybot Search &
    Destroy 1.6.2 is in effect; close this program.
    2. Open Firefox 3.5
    3. Either select Tools | Clear Recent History... OR press Ctrl+Shift+Del
    4. Verify that the "Site Preferences" checkbox is checked (if not, check it).
    5. Click the "Clear Now" command button.
    6. Repeat Step 1, which will show that all previously enabled Firefox
    protection is now disabled.

Actual Results:
    In both methods described above, the result is that the previously enabled
    Firefox protection offered by Spybot Search and Destroy is then disabled.

Expected Results:
    The previously enabled Firefox protection offered by Spybot Search and Destroy should remain enabled.
    //END

Wow, thanks for this very detailed report!

Will have to think about this - Firefox isn't doing anything "wrong", just offers a new feature that makes another feature less persistent...
    Just remember, love is life, and hate is living death.
    Treat your life for what it's worth, and live for every breath
    (Black Sabbath: A National Acrobat)

Quote Originally Posted by CindyS View Post
    I notified them of this (modified version follows) but they refer me to you (very Microsoft-ian of them, isn't it?). Just FYI, this issue also affects the latest release of SpywareBlaster.
    Was this in some public place?

It's really a concept question with no easy workaround; right now, the best current option I could think of would be a flag in permissions.sqlite, table moz_hosts that would control whether entries are programatically or manually created, and when applying the privacy cleanup, only remove those manually added (entries created by external software would not be a privacy concern history probably anyway).

Adding a timestamp to that table might be nice as well, since the UI offers time range to clean, but Site Preferences do not seem to be compatible to this (probably resulting in preferences always been cleared).

That would all be on Mozillas side though. I though about what we could do (next to a warning shown during immunization), but the only other way (FF plugin doing the same) is not really what immunization is any more (will be available in FF 2.0, which has a central URL processor to allow easier browser plugins).
    Just remember, love is life, and hate is living death.
    Treat your life for what it's worth, and live for every breath
    (Black Sabbath: A National Acrobat)

@CindyS,

Quote "Unchecking the Firefox 3.5 "Site Preferences" checkbox in the places listed above resolves these issues -- but at the expense of me having to accept the possibility of site preference data being preserved within Firefox."

I tried your method of unchecking 'Site Prferences' (Options>Privacy>Settings), but after a reboot, the Firefox 3.5 immunization is cleared anyway.
    Last edited by Al K. Hall; 2009-07-12 at 05:13.

@CindyS,

I have found that you must uncheck 'Site Preferences' in both areas you mentioned. I was unclear on that point, I understood you to say either/or.

After unchecking 'Site Preferences' in both areas, the immunization appears to stay.

Hello,

We have added this issue to our bugtracker: http://forums.spybot.info/project.php?issueid=384

Best regards
    Sandra
    Team Spybot

Default same issue

I'm having the same problem since I updated firefox to 3.5.1.
    Are we waiting on an update to resolve this?

Default why do you log me out when I'm typing

I just found this out as I only recently updated to Firefox 3.5.3

this is still an issue:
    and it's a Firefox problem:

Firefox 3.5.3
    Spybot S&D: updated to newest def. 18/Sep./2009

in Firefox:
    Tools > Options > "Security" tab
    Clear History when Firefox closes check box checked
    in "Settings" if "site preferences" is checked it wipes out the immunizations at the browser close not at browser open, as soon as Firefox is closed the immunizations vanish

same with the site preferences check box in:
    Tools > Clear Recent History

if executing the in browser clear history and the site preferences check box is checked it will immediately wipe out the immunizations

and as noted above; both methods of clearing private data / history cannot have the site preferences check box checked they both must be left blank, or immunization info will be deleted.

Hello,

The issue should be fixed in a new version, I do not think that there will be an update for this.

Best reagards
    Sandra
    Team Spybot

Still the same problem with FF 3.55 now. Any action yet to resolve this bug??

And a functional question: if I immunize before browsing, am I at least immunized until I close and reopen FF? I.e., are the immunizations actually working at least temporarily, or is Spybot erroneously reporting that immunization has been successful??

Quote Originally Posted by spybotsandra View Post
    Hello,

The issue should be fixed in a new version, I do not think that there will be an update for this.

Best reagards
    Sandra
    Team Spybot