Thread: Can't INSTALL Spybot :(

Unhappy Can't INSTALL Spybot :(

I had spybot installed before on my computer, but then had to install it to reinstall my NOD32 Antivirus. After I had that all settled, I tried to reinstall spybot, and every time I get to the very last step of install (files are downloaded and the green status bar thingy is almost full) my computer blue screens on me. This happens EVERY single time :(. I've even tried installing it in safemode, and it always bluescreens on me. I'm not sure if I have bad memory, or if there's some sort of malware that doesn't want me to install spybot.. This is a new direction in computers (spyware/malware) that I'm venturing into, so I'm afraid that I don't know too terribly much about it.

I used to run my NOD32 AV, Adaware, and Spybot to protect my computer.. Now I need to reinstall Adaware because something went wrong and it wasn't working, and spybot wont install. :-\ On top of all of this, I have that google search virus thing where it redirects you to ads every time you click on a google search result. So I'm doing my best to resolve these things, but I'm pretty sure that the bluescreen is caused by a separate issue. Just wondering if you guys had any advice for me, or if I should try any different versions of spybot to see if the problem persists. Thanks for ALL of the help in advance!! I'm desperate.

Hi paintba11er89,

do you think you are infected?

Please don't install updates during the install, does this help you ?
    Best regards - Beste Grüße,

Matt

I feel retarded Installing it without the updates during installation worked just splendidly . I know I am infected though, and I'm going to do my best to remove those infections. Thank you very much for the help!

Quote Originally Posted by paintba11er89 View Post
    I feel retarded Installing it without the updates during installation worked just splendidly . I know I am infected though, and I'm going to do my best to remove those infections. Thank you very much for the help!
    I'm glad I could help. If there are infection that you can't remove, let us know.

Matt

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    I'm glad I could help. If there are infection that you can't remove, let us know.
    Ok.. now this sucks :-\

I have it installed, but I cannot run the program. I also installed Malwarebytes earlier today and I had a similar problem. After I renamed the executable file in malwarebytes though, I was able to successfully run it. I think I may have some sort of malware on my computer that is stopping spybot from actually running now.. Do you know of any solutions to this problem? I've tried renaming the files in Spybot's program files, but still no dice..

EDIT: The resident is running, but not the actual program.
    Last edited by paintba11er89; 2009-07-09 at 01:15.

Ok.. now this sucks :-\

I have it installed, but I cannot run the program. I also installed Malwarebytes earlier today and I had a similar problem. After I renamed the executable file in malwarebytes though, I was able to successfully run it. I think I may have some sort of malware on my computer that is stopping spybot from actually running now.. Do you know of any solutions to this problem? I've tried renaming the files in Spybot's program files, but still no dice..

EDIT: The resident is running, but not the actual program.
    Did you rename Spybot's *.exe into paintba11er89.exe for example?

What you can try as well

Let me know if that helps.

Matt

Did you rename Spybot's *.exe into paintba11er89.exe for example?

What you can try as well

Let me know if that helps.
    Spybot's executable file is SpybotSD.exe I guess.. but I do not see it in the program files. I went to folder options and selected show all hidden files and it is still not there.. the thing that I tried renaming was "SDMain" and I renamed it "ohyeah". Any other suggestions?

Spybot's executable file is SpybotSD.exe I guess.. but I do not see it in the program files. I went to folder options and selected show all hidden files and it is still not there.. the thing that I tried renaming was "SDMain" and I renamed it "ohyeah". Any other suggestions?
    What you can try:

1)
    You can try to run a *.scr file in your Spybot folder

2)
    Try to rename Spybot Desktop icon

Your SpybotSD.exe file should be visible when you show all hidden files.

3)
    You can try to do all this in safe mode.

4)
    If all that doesn't help you, I would like you to do that

Let me know it.

Matt

What you can try:

1)
    You can try to run a *.scr file in your Spybot folder

2)
    Try to rename Spybot Desktop icon

Your SpybotSD.exe file should be visible when you show all hidden files.

3)
    You can try to do all this in safe mode.

4)
    If all that doesn't help you, I would like you to do that

Let me know it.
    I tried running the *.src file, and still nothing happened.

I not only had to show hidden files, but also show protected files.. After I found the SpybotSD.exe file I renamed it to ohyeah.exe and it now works. It kind of sucks that I have to rename all of my malware software in order for it to work :P Because of this, I definitely KNOW that I'm infected with something. Not only do I have that Google search virus, but I also have whatever is blocking all of this. I have already ran a hijackthis and a malwarebytes scan and have log files for both of them, and will open up a new thread there, because I need to get these things resolved. Thank you SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO much for the help Matt! You really are awesome

I not only had to show hidden files, but also show protected files..
    Yes, you are right... my mistake, sorry.
    Don't forget to disable these folder options.

I have already ran a hijackthis and a malwarebytes scan and have log files for both of them, and will open up a new thread there, because I need to get these things resolved.
    Great!

Thank you SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO much for the help Matt! You really are awesome
    You're welcome. I'm glad that I could help you a little bit.

I can't help you in Malware Removal, because I'm still in training and learning... it will take some time until I've finished.

Take care and happy safe surfing for the future. For me it's time to go to bed now...

Please be patient and wait in the Malware Removal Forum. It may take some time until an analyst will answer.
    Last edited by Matt; 2009-07-09 at 02:14.

Matt