Thread: Spybot Resident alerts on install of Advanced System Care

Default Spybot Resident alerts on install of Advanced System Care

(Please place this post in the appropriate sub forum.)

The following message was sent to Iobit ASC, this direct quote from Resident log:

"7/10/2009 1:37:21 PM Encountered and terminated 2Search in C:\Program Files\IObit\Advanced SystemCare 3\Wizard.exe!
    I do not know if the download contained the active unwanted or is mentioned by reference in your databases, but Spybot Search and Destroy Resident halted the install and recommended not to allow this item to run, since it was perceived as a threat.

[[edit, insert: I was able to complete the install and run a Care scan successfully, after following Resident's recommendation to disallow (the item in question.]]

I first encountered information on ASC while browsing Spybot's Forums.
    I intend to inform that forum also.

(You may notice I am sending this from a different computer than the one with the listed email address. I hope that I can complete this post, based on this fact.)"

hello,

thank you for reporting this issue.
    It appears to be a false positive, however our testing did not show any false positive with the C:\Program Files\IObit\Advanced SystemCare 3\Wizard.exe.

It is possible that this false positive occurs with a certain version of the file named above. Please send a copy of the Wizard.exe to detections@spybot.info referencing this thread.
    born in the shadow to die in the shadow, that is the fate of the shinobi

Spybot S&D Downloads

Please help us improve Spybot and download our distributed testing client.

Default reply to yodama

Thanks for your response.
    I will attempt to send the file if it still exists on this machine. But since this is a fairly rare(first time) occurrence for me, I may need some instruction. Where should I look for the "wizard" file? Or do you wish for me to send the setup exe?

Advanced System Care is mentioned in the Pacman subforum. Does this program integrate, cooperate, or co-exist with SpybotSD?

I believe the source of the download is a CNET server. They claim the download to be spyware and virus free.

Thank you again for your interest in this matter.
    mitcorb

Hello there mitcorb.
    To find "Wizard.exe", you'll have to navigate to the path:
    "C:\Program Files\IObit\Advanced SystemCare 3\" (no quotes).
    You can begin by going to Start>My Computer>C:\ (DRIVE)...

Advanced System Care should have no problems when it is installed with Spybot-Search&Destroy.

Default reply to drragostea

Thank you.
    I will proceed to do that, but I will zip the file, as a hopeful precaution.

Default followup on submit to detection center

I have zipped and submitted to detection center. I referenced this thread by simple copy /paste the title (not the link) due to my inexperience with this process. Hopefully, they will be able to locate the thread.

I am still checking the Iobit forum for any reply.

Thanks,
    mitcorb

Default update on iobit reply

A forum mediator at Iobit forum has responded requesting a clarification of my issue, which I provided.

hello mitcorb,

thank you for providing info to the Iobit forums.
    I have been waiting for your email however it does not appear to have been delivered to us yet. It is possible that the mail was filtered out by a mail server on the way because of the attached zip file containing an exe file. Please resend your email, it could be helpful to rar the file instead of zipping it.
    born in the shadow to die in the shadow, that is the fate of the shinobi

Spybot S&D Downloads

Please help us improve Spybot and download our distributed testing client.

Default reply to Yodama re: zip, rar

I will try the "rar" method--I have an app that will do this, but I was hoping that my masking technique was only good enough to get an alert and that you might have a server set up to get hammered by whatever people intentionally or unintentionally fling at you.

Since you did not see the file or the message, I altered the file extension by not using the dot and altered the name enough that it would not run until you corrected it.

Give me a couple of days on this, even though it is fairly simple to send.