Thread: c:\windows\win.ini is interfering with spybot

Default c:\windows\win.ini is interfering with spybot

Dear Forum folks:

I've just this minute joined in this forum because of the following situation. For the last couple of months, when I check for problems with spybot, I've got the same message - Error during check! Mailbot (Datei C:\WINDOWS\win.ini kann nicht geöffnet werden. The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process) This despite the fact that I am not running Windows XP in German. Spybot then says that no immediate threats have been found. Has anyone else encountered this? I'm worried that something is hiding behind win.ini, which seems to contain system configurations. Any advice appreciated,
    Doug MacNaughton

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

The following error is usually caused by running Spybot-S&D with and old advcheck.dll library:
    • … kann nicht geöffnet werden. The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process) ()

Go into Spybot > Help > About.

Are you running Spybot - Search & Destroy 1.3 as opposed to Spybot - Search & Destroy 1.4?

If you are running Spybot 1.3, you should consider upgrading to Spybot 1.4 to fix the error.

There are four (4) download sites for Spybot-S&D 1.4 here:
    Uninstall Spybot-S&D 1.3:Install Spybot-S&D 1.4:
    • Execute spybotsd14.exe download above.
    • Do not change the default installation path of:
      • C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy
    • Make sure that you update Sptbot-S&D 1.4 before running a scan.

Note: If you upgrade and use TeaTimer be aware of the following:
    There is currently a bug in TeaTimer 1.4. Portions of TeaTimer's popup dialog overlay the "Allow change" and "Deny change" buttons. On my system the very top edges of the "Allow change" button (on the left) and "Deny change" button (on the right) are showing and I am still able to select the options. I also can check "Remember this decision" since it is visible. If no portion of the "Allow change" and "Deny change" buttons are showing, you can answer TeaTimer's popup dialog (English language version) by pressing "A" on your keyboard for "Allow change" or "D" for "Deny change". Note: If you close the dialog without answering "Allow change" or "Deny change" the registry change is denied.

If you can't deal with the problem that way until it is fixed, you can:
    1. Apply one of the workarounds found in the following pinned (Sticky) thread that fixes the pop-up dialog so the buttons are visible:
      Solution to fix the pop-ups in TeaTimer
      http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=122

There are three (3) fixes published in that thread. They are:

1. The ResHacker fix published by ElPiedra here:
      2. The murdo patch published here:

Also republished by RuggeR29 (which I have never tried) here:
      3. The patch originally by SyreneD that I published here:

Also republished by SyreneD himself here:

2. Disable TeaTimer as follows:
      • Go into Spybot > Mode > Advanced Mode > Tools > Resident.
      • Uncheck the following:
        • Resident "TeaTimer" (Protection of over-all system settings) Active.

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

Esteemed Member

To add: Spybot error messages do occasionally appear in German, nothing to do with your language or XP language, it's just that PepiMek is german (he writes it). A small eccentricity, easily forgiven :-).

Dear Forum:

That got it, many thanks. I really like the new immunize feature. Best wishes to all,
    Doug MacNaughton

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Doug MacNaughton
    Dear Forum folks:

I've just this minute joined in this forum because of the following situation. For the last couple of months, when I check for problems with spybot, I've got the same message - Error during check! Mailbot (Datei C:\WINDOWS\win.ini kann nicht geöffnet werden. The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process) This despite the fact that I am not running Windows XP in German. Spybot then says that no immediate threats have been found. Has anyone else encountered this? I'm worried that something is hiding behind win.ini, which seems to contain system configurations. Any advice appreciated,
    Doug MacNaughton

That happened to me a very long time ago(about two years back).

It is a definite bug within the Win XP's main app. file.
    Run Microsoft update to get all of the hotfixes necessary to eliminate this file crosslinkage bug.

Make sure to install SP1 then SP2 in this very proper order. Or, buy the upgrade disk of a Media Center Edition of the latest kind(I strongly suggest:MCE2005). Then reinstall Spypot S&D ver. 1.4.1 onto this totally new O.S.'s installation.

Make sure to have Microsoft's Security Center's Firewall up and enabled. Then get any of those two to increase even further your security grid: Symantec's Internet Security 2006 or Etrust ISS 2006 from Computer Associates(CA). Those two Security suites will only compliment the overall Internet protection needed for todays ever demanding protection against viruses, spyware, malware and, even the rookie hacker.

After all that is done, enjoy a renewewed PC.
    Last edited by tashi; 2006-06-10 at 20:51. Reason: Reduced font

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lukie
    It is a definite bug within the Win XP's main app. File.
    Not in my opinion.

For the following errors:
    • "Error during check!: ***Various *** (Datei C:\WINDOWS\wininit.ini kann nicht geöffnet werden. The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process) ()"
    • "Error during check!: ***Various *** (Datei C:\WINDOWS\win.ini kann nicht geöffnet werden. The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process) ()"
    • "Error during check!: ***Various *** (Datei C:\WINDOWS\system.ini kann nicht geöffnet werden. The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process) ()"
    • And possibly others of a similar format.

The following applies:
    • German to English translations:
      • Datei = File.
      • kann nicht geöffnet werden = cannot be opened.
    • Therefore error message translated from German to English is:
      • Error during check!: **various** (File C:\WINDOWS\***.ini cannot be opened. The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process) ()
    • The error terminates the scan.
    • Probable cause:
      • Running Spybot with an old advcheck.dll (dated prior to 2004-10-04) in combination with detection updates from 2004-10-26 or later.
    • Solution:
      • Since that combination of files normally could only occur running Spybot 1.3, upgrading to Spybot 1.4 solves the problem (unless you are running Window 95).
      • Since Spybot 1.4 will not run on Windows 95, Windows 95 users must download a copy of an updated advcheck.dll which is covered here:

Since the problem occurs on operating systems other than Windows XP and is corrected by running a proper combination of Spybot's detection updates and advcheck.dll library, in my opinion the following statement is not correct:

Quote Originally Posted by Lukie
    It is a definite bug within the Win XP's main app. File.
    Last edited by md usa spybot fan; 2006-06-10 at 21:27.

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.