Thread: Internet Options & SPYBOT

Default Internet Options & SPYBOT

Hi
    I am not sure where to post this:
    I have recently, not been able to access 'Internet Options' since installing Spybot S&D latest version, so i uninstalled it. I still cannot access 'internet options' and believe it to be because of SpyBot settings still in registry? Please help. Thank you.

Sounds like you used Spybot to alter some optional IE security settings.
    These registry tweaks are not part of Spybot itself and are not reversed when you uninstall Spybot.

You could reinstall Spybot and reverse any settings you made - such as Immunisation - plus any other tweaks you made.
    The IE Internet Options lockout in Spybot is located here:
    Mode->Advanced Mode->IE Tweaks->Lock IE control panel against opening from within IE - set by tickbox

Alternatively to reverse the IE Internet Options lockout in the registry:
    Check the following registry key - which blocks access to the Internet Options panel from inside IE
    HKEY_Current_User\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Restrictions\NoBrowserOptions
    No restriction REG_DWORD = 0
    Restricted access REG_DWORD = 1

Hi
    Thanks for your reply. I am going along with your alternative to 'reverse IE lockout in registry' but i am having problems locating RESTRICTIONS!
    in this instruction list:
    HKEY_Current_User\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Restrictions\NoBrowserOptions

Please help

P.S. i have made no modifications to registry as i don't know how to and believe it to be dangerous!

thanks

The registry key that Spybot can set is called NoBrowserOptions - the values are 0 or 1
    The NoBrowserOptions key would show in the righthand panel of Regedit.
    If this key doesn't exist then either Spybot didn't cause your issue or you are looking in the wrong location.

The "No restrictions" "Restricted access" were just my descriptions as to the meaning of the 0 or 1 values

In Windows XP this key is located at:
    HKEY_Current_User\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Restrictions\
    Not sure if this location is the same in Vista.

It may be safer to reinstall Spybot and use its interface to check and change the setting.

There are also infections that can disable Internet Options - but not sure what method they use.
    Scan your system for infections just to check this is not the cause of your issue.
    Last edited by DougCuk; 2009-07-25 at 13:40.