Thread: TeaTimer fails to launch on system startup

Default TeaTimer fails to launch on system startup

I recently built a new system and have installed Spybot S&D 1.6.2. I have been using Spybot-SD for many years now and have never encountered this problem before (even after reinstalling windows several times). I have been running Resident-TeaTimer continuously on my other system (which is configured almost identically) for quite some time and have never noticed any problems or "conflicts" with my other security programs. I like the added layer of protection that TeaTimer affords, and I really want it to work properly. My problem is this:

After configuring Spybot Settings and Tools (and activating Resident "TeaTimer"), I noticed that TeaTimer sometimes fails to launch on reboot. When it fails to launch, it's startup command is also missing from the System Startup Configuration and when I open Spybot, Resident "TeaTimer" has been deactivated. Furthermore, when it does launch at startup, TeaTimer almost immediately informs me that a registry change has been detected - TeaTimer.exe system startup value deleted (which I of course deny).
    I have tried reinstalling Spybot and have downloaded the most current updates. I have also thoroughly compared my security configuration with that of my other system. I have even scoured the Registry looking for the command that may be disabling TeaTimer (by searching all instances of the word "TeaTimer" in the registry editor) - but, as far as I can tell, everything looks normal.
    I have installed and configured all the other programs on my new system and everything else is working normally. I am about to begin the system backup process, but I would really like everything to be running properly before I do so. PLEASE HELP!!!

*I am running Windows XP Pro (SP2)
    *My other security programs include Avira AV & Ad-Aware (both current) - I also use Advanced SystemCare Tools (occasionallly).

-Thank you for your patience and for any help that you can offer

Hello,

Is this an admin account or an user account?
    Do you have activated the TeaTimer manually on all accounts?

- Go into Spybot - Mode - Advanced Mode - Tools - Resident.
    - Check the following: Resident "TeaTimer" (Protection of over-all system settings) Active.

Best regards
    Sandra
    Team Spybot

Quote Originally Posted by spybotsandra View Post
    Hello,

Is this an admin account or an user account?
    Do you have activated the TeaTimer manually on all accounts?

- Go into Spybot - Mode - Advanced Mode - Tools - Resident.
    - Check the following: Resident "TeaTimer" (Protection of over-all system settings) Active.

Best regards
    Sandra
    Team Spybot
    I am the only user on this system (administrator), there are no other active accounts. Resident "TeaTimer" is active for this account.

Hello,

Maybe this is due to an infection.

Please send us a complete bug report. In order to do so, please run Spybot - Search & Destroy and switch to Advanced Mode via the menu item Mode, let it scan, try to fix the problems (!) and then go to "Tools" --> "View Report". Tick all the 10 checkboxes (leave "Do not report disabled or known legitimate items" unchecked) you can find there and click on "View Report". Now choose "Export" and save the file to your desktop. Please attach this file to your email and send it again to detections(at)spybot.info.
    Please also download RootAlyzer.

Here is also the direct download link.

Please set your computer to show all files.

* Double-click My Computer.

* Click the Tools menu, and then click Folder Options.

* Click the View tab.

* Clear "Hide file extensions for known file types."

* Under the "Hidden files" folder, select "Show hidden files and folders."

* Clear "Hide protected operating system files."

* Click Apply, and then click OK.

Please select the tab 'deep scan' and let it fully scan your Pc. The scan will take a moment, please be patient. After the scan is done please click on 'pack suspicious files' which is located right at the bottom. This will create a .cab file on your desktop which contains the log and the suspicious files the scan has found. Please attach this .cab file to your next mail.

Please also download gmer: www.gmer.net and let it do a full scan on your Pc. Subsequent you will be allowed to save the log created during the scan. Please also send us this log.

Thanks!

Best regards
    Sandra
    Team Spybot