Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Please help. Unable to remove Trojan (Resolved)

Sorry, but what do you mean by "( Make sure you include :Processes )" ?

Security Expert-Emeritus

Sorry, I missed that part out.
    Refresh the page and look at the code box now.
    Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2009 -2010
    If we have helped, please consider a donation
    THESE INSTRUCTIONS ARE FOR THIS USER ONLY

Oh. So I already did it without :processes

Sorry for being impatient. Below is the report I obtained:

All processes killed
    ========== FILES ==========
    D:\$RECYCLE.BIN\S-1-5-21-1171192100-3469164339-847101491-1000\desktop.ini moved successfully.
    ========== COMMANDS ==========

[EMPTYTEMP]

User: Administrator

User: All Users

User: Default
    ->Temp folder emptied: 0 bytes
    File delete failed. C:\Users\Default\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\SR4PIAG2\desktop.ini scheduled to be deleted on reboot.
    File delete failed. C:\Users\Default\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\OYUA34UW\desktop.ini scheduled to be deleted on reboot.
    File delete failed. C:\Users\Default\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\NHJNGCI9\desktop.ini scheduled to be deleted on reboot.
    File delete failed. C:\Users\Default\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\8AY0OR80\desktop.ini scheduled to be deleted on reboot.
    File delete failed. C:\Users\Default\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\desktop.ini scheduled to be deleted on reboot.
    File delete failed. C:\Users\Default\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\index.dat scheduled to be deleted on reboot.
    File delete failed. C:\Users\Default\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\desktop.ini scheduled to be deleted on reboot.
    ->Temporary Internet Files folder emptied: 33170 bytes

User: Default User
    File delete failed. C:\Users\Default User\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\SR4PIAG2\desktop.ini scheduled to be deleted on reboot.
    File delete failed. C:\Users\Default User\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\OYUA34UW\desktop.ini scheduled to be deleted on reboot.
    File delete failed. C:\Users\Default User\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\NHJNGCI9\desktop.ini scheduled to be deleted on reboot.
    File delete failed. C:\Users\Default User\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\8AY0OR80\desktop.ini scheduled to be deleted on reboot.
    File delete failed. C:\Users\Default User\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\desktop.ini scheduled to be deleted on reboot.
    File delete failed. C:\Users\Default User\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\index.dat scheduled to be deleted on reboot.
    File delete failed. C:\Users\Default User\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\desktop.ini scheduled to be deleted on reboot.
    ->Temporary Internet Files folder emptied: 33170 bytes

User: James
    ->Temp folder emptied: 76293068 bytes
    File delete failed. C:\Users\James\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\index.dat scheduled to be deleted on reboot.
    ->Temporary Internet Files folder emptied: 24524431 bytes
    ->Java cache emptied: 57055012 bytes
    ->FireFox cache emptied: 48553921 bytes
    ->Google Chrome cache emptied: 35510766 bytes

User: Public

User: Sabina

%systemdrive% .tmp files removed: 0 bytes
    File delete failed. C:\Windows\DUMP4440.tmp scheduled to be deleted on reboot.
    %systemroot% .tmp files removed: 137319958 bytes
    %systemroot%\System32 .tmp files removed: 3334776 bytes
    Windows Temp folder emptied: 6771209 bytes
    RecycleBin emptied: 0 bytes

Total Files Cleaned = 371.39 mb

OTM by OldTimer - Version 3.0.0.5 log created on 07302009_231419

Files moved on Reboot...
    File move failed. C:\Users\Default\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\SR4PIAG2\desktop.ini scheduled to be moved on reboot.
    File move failed. C:\Users\Default\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\OYUA34UW\desktop.ini scheduled to be moved on reboot.
    File move failed. C:\Users\Default\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\NHJNGCI9\desktop.ini scheduled to be moved on reboot.
    File move failed. C:\Users\Default\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\8AY0OR80\desktop.ini scheduled to be moved on reboot.
    File move failed. C:\Users\Default\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\desktop.ini scheduled to be moved on reboot.
    File move failed. C:\Users\Default\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\desktop.ini scheduled to be moved on reboot.
    File move failed. C:\Users\Default User\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\SR4PIAG2\desktop.ini scheduled to be moved on reboot.
    File move failed. C:\Users\Default User\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\OYUA34UW\desktop.ini scheduled to be moved on reboot.
    File move failed. C:\Users\Default User\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\NHJNGCI9\desktop.ini scheduled to be moved on reboot.
    File move failed. C:\Users\Default User\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\8AY0OR80\desktop.ini scheduled to be moved on reboot.
    File move failed. C:\Users\Default User\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\desktop.ini scheduled to be moved on reboot.
    File move failed. C:\Users\Default User\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\desktop.ini scheduled to be moved on reboot.
    File move failed. C:\Windows\DUMP4440.tmp scheduled to be moved on reboot.

Registry entries deleted on Reboot...

Spybot still finds Win32.Buzus.amit .

Should I follow the instructions above again but including :Processes ?

Security Expert-Emeritus

Where does Spybot find it now ?

Uninstall Combofix
    • This will clear your System Volume Information restore points and remove all the infected files that were quarantined
    • Click START, type RUN into the search box, then click Enter
    • Now type Combofix /u in the runbox and click OK. Note the space between the X and the /U, it needs to be there.

Uninstall OTMoveIt (OTM.exe)
    • Open OTMoveIt Click Cleanup,
    • When a box pops up click YES.

Spybot detects it when I right click on the recycle bin file inside the in D:\ .

I am running a full Spybot scan now to see if it picks it up that way too. I first scanned the recycle bin with Spybot because Avira kept freezing when it reached it and was unable to complete a full scan. When I ran Kaspersky (on your advice) it also froze at this same file. However, Avira and Kaspersky now detect nthing AND complete their scans.

I will follow the instructions you have just posted and will post the results of the full Spybot scan - though I'm not even sure if it is configured to scan the $RECYCLE.BIN folder under the basic 'scan for problems' option.

After I uninstalled Combofix, hidden files disappeared. I re-selected 'show hidden files and folders.'

Right-clicking the recycle bin file inside inside the $RECYCLE.BIN folder with Spybot still finds:

Spybot Search & Destroy (Malware)
    desktop.ini nothing found

Spybot Search & Destroy (Heuristic)
    desktop.ini Win32.Buzus.amit

The 'full' Spybot scan found nothing.

OTM.exe does not appear to have uninstalled. Also, on restarting the computer I get error messages (x7) from ERUNT.

Security Expert-Emeritus

What error message do you get from Erunt ?
    ( I suspect it's due to UAC )

Navigate to D:\ Right click on $RECYCLE.BIN and select Delete.
    Click yes to any warnings.
    Now delete something from the D: drive so that it gets recreated. (doesn't matter what, you can just create a new text document and delete that)
    You may get a couple of error warnings, just click OK/Yes.

Reboot and see if spybot still finds a problem with the folder.

Cool

I didn't get an eror report this time from Erunt. I was getting something along the lines of 'unable to save, will have to restore manually'

I think I followed your instructions correctly. After re-start, $RECYCLE.BIN reappeared. Right-clicking and scanning with Spybot now looks different, but still finding Trojan:

$I5WWNIV.doc Nothing found
    $R5WWNIV.doc Nothing found
    desktop.ini Nothing found

desktop.ini Win32.Buzus.ini

There are 2 desktop.ini icons on my desktop.

I scanned both with Spybot.

Results from the first one:

desktop.ini Win32.Buzus.ini

The second one:

A scan of both 5 minutes later and they are both clean. !?

The recycle bin in D still shows as infected though.