Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cleaning inside computer

Default Cleaning inside computer

Im just wondering the best procedure for cleaning the inside of PC aand what tools should be used (damp cloth, cotton bud, small paintbrush,etc) and on what material (tiles, carpet, concrete, etc). Is there anything else I need to know? I already know how to unscrew the tower. Is there something with time delay of disconnect from power socket?
    Thanks for your assistance

Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2018-
    Windows Insider MVP 2016-2018
    Microsoft Consumer Security MVP 2006-2016

Quote Originally Posted by tashi
    Just wanting to clarify some points, cause it seems to be written in USA English.

1 can of compressed air? What exactly is it & how is it different to compressor air?

1 window/glass cleaner?: Isnt this bad for PC's? This means stuff like windex & AJAX?

Insulating tape?: Does it mean sticky tape or electrician's tape? (The picture looks like sticky tape)

Vacuum cleaner: Wouldnt this be too powerful?

Battery: How do we know if it needs replacing?

Also I have attempted cleaning it b4 & didnt use insulting tape or static mats, etc. I have also cleaned blades without preventing movement & have exhaled air onto parts (Does it cause damage? If so how long before damage occurs?)

The article also fails to mention if it is better to clean PC on carpet, tiles or concrete. OR does it need to be on a table?

Hello Musikmn.

Google can be your friend.

http://www.informationweek.com/showA...cleID=60403472

http://www.microsoft.com/athome/more...ncomputer.mspx

There are many more, find the method that makes sense and works for you.

For instance I do not use a vacuum cleaner, I prefer 'canned' air which comes in a container like this:
    http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProdu...oduct_Id=22589

Good luck.

i clean my comp regularly, cause it collects so much dust. i simply use compressed air, and the hover to collect the dust that comes out. i don't use the hover over any components just to be ont he safe side, but the compressed air gets it out fine... i get a layer of dust on the fans whihc prob should be cleaned off, but i'm too lazt . i find that the ports on the back need the most cleanign cause all the fan s pull the dust in through the openings in the ports so i can't plug anythign in.

and apart from the benefits of cleaning one learns the inside of one's computer.

If I see a component up close instead of in pictures, I do a search on it to learn more.

Years ago that gave me the confidence to upgrade my own PC's. :D

Regards the compressed air cans, are they all the same thing with only the size differentiating them, thus no real difference between the cheapest & most expensive? & what size is best too get? Or is the useful life of the product very long? Additionally, how much would be used in a clean?

Thumbs up Good Topic

I Like this Topic, becasue people need to know how to clean their computer.

I clean my Once every few months this is to make it run like a charm People really need help with this. I have heard some stories of people have found mice in them

The natural long bristles paintbrush is it essential that they are natural long bristled?

& how long do the CR2032 batteries last?

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

Musikmn:

From the article:

One small paintbrush with long natural bristles. 1/2inch(12mm) size is ideal.
    Natural-bristle brushes are made from animal hair (hog, camel, etc.) as opposed to synthetic-bristle brushes which are made from man-made fibers (nylon, polyester, etc.).

I can't be sure, but I assume that the recommendation was made because natural bristle brushes are usually softer.

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.