Quote Originally Posted by David12846 View Post
...I removed SpyBot entirely. I then shut down my PC, and re-downloaded SpyBot. When I started SpyBot, I did NOT accept the updates. The update screen showed the following were available (but I did not download them):

- - - - -
1) Advanced detection library 1.6.3 ( 784KB - 2009-07-29 )
2) Immunization database ( 546 KB - 2008-11-05 )
3) Tea Timer update 1.6.6 ( 1011 KB - 2009-03-11 )
4) English descriptions ( 281 KB - 2008-09-10 )
- - - - -

I then ran 3 tests (Firefox running, not running, running but closed during SpyBot scan) , re-booting the PC between each test. The 216 error did NOT appear after each test.

I then re-booted, ran SpyBot and checked for up-dates. The 4 updates listed above were available. I accepted all 4 of them. I then ran SpyBot and only "Checked for Problems". SpyBot reported no problems. I then closed SpyBot.... and the 216 error appeared !!
As someone else said, they doubt FireFox is to blame . I tend to agree. To me, it appears as if one of the updates in the list above is the culprit.

Maybe someone else (a SpyBot guru?) could/would run through my senario of reloading SpyBot without accepting the updates then execute SpyBot to be certain the 216 error does not appear (Maybe execute it 2 or 3 times to be sure... programs have an uncanny habit of making changes). Then accept the updates one at a time and execute SpyBot after each update to see whether the 216 error appears (again, run it 2 or 3 times between each update just to be sure) . Maybe "we" can narrow it down to a bad update .

While I'm here posting, I also use "Primary Response SafeConnect" (by Sana Security). It checks for programs that change behavior. A few times recently when I boot-up, it alerts me that TeaTimer has changed the way it behaves . Before the 216 error, the "program change for TeaTimer" alert did not appear.

David