Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Spybot 1.6.2 update and Runtime Error 216

Default malewareC.sbi is where the error 216 is coming from

I am having the same 216 error, I narrowed it down to malewareC.sbi, hope this helps

is the SpybotSD team itself testing to fix this issue? are you guys able to reproduce this error?

Cool

@ Ras: a little unfair, don't you think? Buster (Member Team Spybot) has been suggesting a lot of things to try and is obviously working to figure it out.

A contribution would be to try running with various .sbi files loaded singly and posting your results. Give him something to work with, but not on Sunday.

They'll get it figured out.
    Last edited by NotGeordie; 2009-08-09 at 11:57. Reason: spelling
    --------------------------------------------
    (1) XP Home SP3, IntelCore2Duo@2GHz, 2GB RAM, IE8
    (2) XP Home SP3, IntelCeleron@1.6GHz, 1GB RAM, IE8
    Wired Home Net

I did not meant it like that NotGeordie. I am just curious if the SpybotSD team itself is trying to reproduce this error on their own machines. Or if they encountered this error themselves on (one of) their own p.c.`s. Because i have no idea how many users are affected by this.

The error is irritating but not too big. I mean the error comes up after you`ve already done everything you wanted to do with SpybotSD.

thats strange that sbi set never caused problems on my comp it was the trojan.sbi set that did.however its seems like differnt file sets are causeing differnt problems for each off us.

since i download that advcheck.dll i cant repoduce the error

the only other thing ive done is run sfc,thats out in the wild i know but heck this has got complicated and i am just trying to help.

is anyone useing I.E btw?
    or are we all useing opera or firefox?
    if so any add ons?

this threads getting a bit long to read all.
    Last edited by kinos; 2009-08-09 at 20:25.

Hello @ all,

first of all, thanks for keeping an eye on this thread.

Yes, we are still trying to track this error down. Unfortunately we have not been able to reproduce this issue on various test machines, which makes it even harder to find the origin of this bug.
    So we are still collecting information about this. Although a few users reported that disabling some sbi files could fix the error, as I already suggested in one of my prior posts, this has not been a solution for everyone.
    Regarding the distribution of this error, we are currently receiving a few emails each day, indicating, that a special setup seems to be relevant. Therefore I ask everyone who is still experiencing this bug to please send a complete bug report to detections@spybot.info with a reference to this thread.
    "The advantage of wisdom is that you can always act the fool. The opposite is quite tough."

K. Tucholsky

Please help us improve Spybot and download our distributed testing client.

I tried a "moderate" level uninstall with Revo uninstaller and then re-installed Spybot. After updating the software and immunizing, I ran a scan and upon shut down of the program, received the ill-fated error yet again. I have not rebooted yet, but plan to do that next. I am using Firefox for browsing, but still have IE 8 on my computer. I have yet to try disabling the .sbi files one at a time. Anyone else have luck with uninstalling besides NotGeordie (and do you do the most aggressive uninstall?)?

Quote Originally Posted by TerminalMan View Post
    Anyone else have luck with uninstalling besides NotGeordie (and do you do the most aggressive uninstall?)?
    Yes, I did the most aggressive uninstall, followed it with CCleaner which picked up some remaining keys and then manually rooted through the registry for any remaining bits (there were a couple).

I suppose that what I did was to effectively remove every bit of Spybot that I could find and then installed 'completely' fresh.

I've been running full scans with Spybot since then, a few times a day to see if I can get the error to show up again, but it hasn't reappeared.

Beats me.
    --------------------------------------------
    (1) XP Home SP3, IntelCore2Duo@2GHz, 2GB RAM, IE8
    (2) XP Home SP3, IntelCeleron@1.6GHz, 1GB RAM, IE8
    Wired Home Net

Tried a more aggressive uninstall and had no success. I then tried individual file sets... I've narrowed it down to the following (at least on my computer):

trojans.sbi
    spyware.sbi

Unchecking both those sets allows me to exit the program without error. Now that I know that, what's the next step?
    Last edited by TerminalMan; 2009-08-10 at 21:40.

i did the same as NotGeordie and done a aggressive uninstall with revo,then plucked out any remaints,then ran checkdisk,before i re-installed.
    updated,got errors,installed that advcheck.dll,ran checkdisk rebooted,removed tracks with mru blaster (javas cool) then no errors.
    thats it i cant see anything else i can say that will help.