Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Spybot 1.6.2 update and Runtime Error 216

A week ago I deleted SpyBot completely. I re-installed it a few days ago and accepted all the updates. I'm also getting the Runtime Error 216 like others are getting.

I wish I had time to monkey around with all the suggested fixes, but I don't. I DID have time to run my Panda Rootkit Finder with a reboot, but it found nothing (A different rootkit finder was suggested in a previous posting). I could not get SpyBot "Tools>Bug Report" to send my bug report as suggested by Buster (below). The mail settings tripped me up (Thunderbird). I copied and pasted the "system generated report" into a standard e-mail along with the Configuration.ini file attached. Hope that is sufficient.

David

Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    Hello @ all,

first of all, thanks for keeping an eye on this thread.
    ...Therefore I ask everyone who is still experiencing this bug to please send a complete bug report to detections@spybot.info with a reference to this thread.
    Last edited by David12846; 2009-08-11 at 05:57.

I've been experiencing these same errors on closing SpybotSD after completing a scan.

I've tried to isolate the conditions where I get the errors and when I don't. Today I figured out that the error occurs when firefox is up during the scan and not when it is not up. I reproduced the error twice today while firefox was up and I avoided the error in between the two error runs buy closing firefox. My firefox has about 90 tabs open (I saved the session) and I use a lot of extentions. On the first error I noticed a quick message "Registry hives may take a while to unload" (from memory) before the first popup message occurred. I was distracted on the second run which reproduced the error so I didn't see the message.

Here's MR Tech's Toolkit - My Config listing for my firefox.
    Generated: Tue Aug 11 2009 10:49:27 GMT-0500 (Central Daylight Time)
    User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.2) Gecko/20090729 Firefox/3.5.2 (.NET CLR 3.5.30729)
    Build ID: 20090729225027

Enabled Extensions: [20]

* Adblock Plus 1.1
    * Adblock Plus: Element Hiding Helper 1.0.6
    * Add Bookmark Here ² 3.5.20090621
    * FireFTP 1.0.5
    * Forecastbar Enhanced 0.9.6
    * Java Console 6.0.14
    * Java Console 6.0.15
    * Java Quick Starter 1.0
    * Launchy 4.2.1
    * Link Alert 0.9
    * Linkification 1.3.6
    * MR Tech Toolkit 6.0.3.4
    * NoScript 1.9.8
    * OpenBook 2.0.1.1
    * Session Manager 0.6.6.2
    * Sunrise XP 1.0
    * Tab Kit 0.5.6
    * WOT 20090414
    * Xmarks 3.1.0
    * Zotero 1.0.10

Disabled Extensions: [22]

* All-in-One Sidebar 0.7.10
    * Bookmark Duplicate Detector 0.7.5
    * Bookmarks LinkChecker 0.6.8.4
    * Calculator 1.1.12
    * Dafizilla Table2Clipboard 0.2.1
    * DictionarySearch 3.5.1
    * Firefox Search Sidebar 1.2
    * FirefoxView 1.0
    * FireShot 0.77
    * FlashGot 1.2
    * Greasemonkey 0.8.20090123.1
    * IE View Lite 1.3.4
    * iMacros for Firefox 6.2.4.0
    * Image Zoom 0.3.1
    * InfoLister 0.10.1
    * Microsoft .NET Framework Assistant 1.0
    * Personas for Firefox 1.2.2
    * ProCon Latte 1.7.9.7
    * Screengrab 0.96.1
    * Tagging For Multiple Bookmarks 1.7
    * TagSifter 4.1.4
    * Tweak Network 1.3

Total Extensions: 42

Installed Themes: [1]

Installed Plugins: (17)

* Adobe Acrobat
    * Foxit Reader Plugin for Mozilla
    * Java Deployment Toolkit 6.0.140.8
    * Java Deployment Toolkit 6.0.150.3
    * Java(TM) Platform SE 6 U15
    * Microsoft Office 2003
    * Microsoft® DRM
    * Microsoft® Windows Media Player Firefox Plugin
    * Mozilla Default Plug-in
    * QuickTime Plug-in 7.6.2
    * RealArcade Mozilla Plugin
    * ScorchNetscapePlugin
    * Shockwave Flash
    * Shockwave for Director
    * Windows Genuine Advantage
    * Windows Media Player Plug-in Dynamic Link Library
    * Windows Presentation Foundation

I was not able to verify that the bug report actually sent since it didn't respond after I accurately filled in all the SMTP information and user Mail Settings. I'm going to try to send the same information by a direct mail.

Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    Therefore I ask everyone who is still experiencing this bug to please send a complete bug report to detections@spybot.info with a reference to this thread.
    Last edited by TexasDayLily; 2009-08-11 at 19:25.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasDayLily View Post
    I've been experiencing these same errors on closing SpybotSD after completing a scan.

... Today I figured out that the error occurs when firefox is up during the scan and not when it is not up. I reproduced the error twice today while firefox was up and I avoided the error in between the two error runs buy closing firefox. ...
    For me, the error appears even with Firefox NOT open. I booted up, ran SpyBot, checked for problems, immunized, and closed SpyBot (The hives unload during the closing). A few seconds after SpyBot disappears from the screen, the error messages appear.

I had the same run-time error as well,hope it'll be fix soon.

I've done some tests. Hopefully this will shed some light on the issue. At first I thought it was an issue with running Windows Update and then running Spybot before restarting, but now I'm more certain it has to do with having Firefox open before and/or during the scan. I have 3 computers, one of which I am *positive* is not infected with anything, and I'm able to reproduce this error on all of them.

First computer (running firefox 3.5.2, first time I got the error):
    Opened firefox
    Did windows update, didn't restart
    Updated spybot to new detections
    Scanned with spybot. *CRASH* on exit with error.

Second computer (running Firefox 3.5.2):
    Opened firefox
    Scanned with older spybot detections file (mid-July)
    Closed spybot. No problem.
    Did windows update, didn't restart
    Scanned with older spybot detections file again (mid-July)
    Rebooted (finished Windows update).
    Scanned with spybot without firefox open.
    Opened firefox.
    Scanned with spybot.
    Opened spybot and visited the immunizations tab (received warning about firefox being open...I haven't updated my immunizations yet).

Third computer (known uninfected, running Firefox 3.0.12):
    Scanned with older spybot detections file (mid-July)
    Scanned with spybot.
    Did windows update, didn't reboot.
    Scanned with spybot.
    Opened firefox.
    Rebooted (finished Windows update).
    Scanned with spybot without firefox open.
    Opened firefox.
    Opened spybot and visited the immunizations tab (received warning about firefox being open...I haven't updated my immunizations yet).

Hello,

thanks for this very detailed error report. We are currently trying to reproduce this according to your description. Everyone else who wants to test this on his own, an installer containing old include files can be downloaded here.
    Once more thanks to everyone who submitted a report in the past days.
    "The advantage of wisdom is that you can always act the fool. The opposite is quite tough."

K. Tucholsky

Please help us improve Spybot and download our distributed testing client.

Tried the old include file that buster posted with no success. Also tried using it in conjunction with the advcheck162 file, but that produced the same error. Afterwards, I updated spybot and returned to advcheck163, ran a scan, and still got the error upon exiting the program...

Is it possible that using the advcheck162 and old include files didn't actually revert to what my spybot program would have been like at that date, before the error cropped up?

Also, I show no difference whether or not Firefox is running.

I've run some more tests trying to simplify the Firefox 1.5.2 configuration to the point where the SpybotSD does not crash, if possible.

First Try - safe mode
    Started Firefox - default profile in safe mode (with extensions noted in prior post)
    Started Spybot.
    Updated spybot - no new updates since I updated yesterday.
    Immunized - nothing unprotected.
    Scanned with spybot. Crash on exit with error.

Second Try - new profile in safe mode
    Started Firefox - profile manager in safe mode (firefox --profilemanager --safe-mode)
    Created new profile
    Selected new profile and selected on popup window all changes to disable and reset to default settings permanently
    then click "make changes and restart"
    This caused all plugins from default profile to be installed but disabled
    Only the following extensions were automatically installed and disabled (I think I'd have to uninstall them from the the external application.)
    * Sunrise XP 1.0
    * Java Quick Starter 1.0
    Started Firefox - profile manager in safe mode (firefox --profilemanager --safe-mode)
    Verified plugins and extensions installed and disabled
    Started Spybot.
    Updated spybot - no new updates since I updated yesterday.
    Immunized - new profile required immunization
    Scanned with spybot. Crash on exit with error.

That's all I can do for right now.

Esteemed Member

I can confirm that Firefox 3.5.2 can aggravate and cause this situation.

On a Windows 2000 (PII 400) system that has Firefox 3.5.2 installed, I had never experienced this error before, though I had manually scanned with the same updates dated 08-05-2009 when downloaded on 08-07-2009. The system also has AdvCheck163.exe installed in the main Spybot S&D folder with a verified good digital certificate.

After opening Firefox and running a manual scan, I received the same error messages mentioned in this thread and verified as the first time via Event Viewer. I normally run a scan with everything else closed, so interaction is undoubtedly involved.

Since Firefox was also Immunized, I have removed that with 'Undo' and am re-running a scan. This will take over an hour on this old system though, so I chose to post this portion now and will return later to update with those results.

Bitman

< EDIT > For the record, AV installed is Avast! current version, 4.9 I believe.
    Last edited by bitman; 2009-08-13 at 23:04. Reason: add Avast! note.

Esteemed Member

The results of testing by TexasDayLily are similar to my own, since only the fact that Firefox is open during the scan itself appears to matter. Removing all Immunization as well as closing TeaTimer seemed to have no effect on the issue. In fact, starting the scan with Firefox open but closing it shortly after the scan has started (before the 1,000 item mark) doesn't cause the error.

I'll also mention that my Firefox installation is the simplest possible, with only a default install and absolutely no add-ons of any sort, just a basic install of 3.0 upgraded to 3.5, 3.5.1 and then 3.5.2 over the last few months. In fact, it's barely used since it was installed primarily to test the browser on a custom web server application.

So it appears that the issue in my case relates only to Firefox being open during scan and then exiting Spybot S&D after an otherwise 'clean' result.

Since this really isn't an issue for me based on my normal usage patterns, I won't be spending any more time on this myself unless there is a specific potential fix the Spybot Team wishes to confirm. The slowness of this PC is simply too agonizing and I have no interest in installing Firefox anywhere else.

Bitman