Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 289101112131415 LastLast

Thread: Spybot 1.6.2 update and Runtime Error 216

Just done the test, disable hijackers.sbi and enable malwarec.sbi with advcheck.dll 1.6.3.17.
    Result: no luck, runtime error 216 again.

Sam

Finally got something to work for me. After Samtso's post, I decided to try the advcheck162.exe file again and see if I could get it to work. I unzipped the file, and ran the executeable. To save time, I ran only the file sets that gave me the error:

trojans.sbi
    spyware.sbi

Upon exit, I received the errors. Then I checked the spybot directory to find the version of advcheck.dll used for the scan. I couldn't find it, so I went to folder options and selected to view hidden system files. Afterwards, I located the file and checked the version. It was still listed as 1.6.3! No wonder it never worked for me. Following Samtso's advice, I renamed advcheck.dll to advcheck.dll_old, and re-ran the executeable. Afterwards, I ran a spybot scan on my trouble file sets. Upon exit, NO ERROR! I think enabled all file sets and ran a scan. Once again, upon exit, no error.

BTW, I had firefox 3.5.2 open the entire time.

So now the question is, can I continue to run with the 1.6.2 version? I usually run a scan overnight, and perform the updates and immunizations then. Will the computer load the 1.6.3 version if I enable the auto-updates? And is there a way to just load the new definitions, etc... without updating the engine?

Hello TerminalMan,

I just manually do an update and don't see the advcheck163 available , I think the update log already show this been updated, so it will not bother to come up again. You may do a manually update to test it.

Sam

Thumbs up

To confirm what others have reported —

advcheck.dll was renamed advcheck.dll_old before installing advcheck162.exe.

I then scanned for problems with Firefox 3.0.12 open, and upon completion closed Spybot without any error messages.

Thanks for finding a solution to this problem!

Need a little clarification. Are you saying the problem is solved? I, for one, am not comfortable altering program files that I know nothing about. I would expect the fix would come down in an update and resolve the problem. Am I wrong?

I personally feel the same as the previous poster. As a matter of fact I have
    not updated since July 23 and don't want to do it unless I know this problem
    has for sure been taken care of. Can somebody that really knows confirm that this is fixed, without guessing. I will wait about 7 to 10 days more for a fix, if
    its not done by them I will , with a broken heart, uninstall Spybot. When the July 27 update was ready and I started reading about this run time issue with
    that particular update I decided to wait before updating. If I felt that only a
    small percentage of users were having this problem I would have updated but
    all I have read this past month here and in a couple places elsewhere is a lot of guessing and extremely wrong advice. The first suggestions here and elsewhere
    was that this problem was a virus.Incredible.
    I thank Spybot for what has meant but I dont want to waist my machine if this is a guessing game forever.
    Bo

Default Workaround, not solution

I too agree that this is not yet fixed but it seems to have been narrowed down to a particular update. I trust that the Spybot folks are hard at work figuring out exactly why spybot & firefox are not playing nice.

I am continuing to leave firefox open each night, updating and running spybot. The error keeps occurring each morning when I close spybotg but I am ignoring it for now. I assume that when spybot figures this one out, there will be an update and the error will go away. I just hope that I remember that when the absence of error occurs, I remember to post that it is gone.

Yes, the problem is not solved yet, it's just a solution to temporary get rid of the runtime error 216. I think Spybot Team already know where the problem came from and will fix it soon.

Sam

Of course the errors are irritating but they come up after you`ve already done everything you wanted to do with SpybotSD. So there is no loss in functionality because of this errors. Because the SpybotSD team cannot reproduce this error they are suggesting several tests. But they are working on a solution.

So please don`t give up on SpybotSD. It has been a defence against nasties for as long i can remember.

Esteemed Member

That's right, all of the testing many of you have performed is helping to narrow down where the real issue lies. Everyone else is simply wasting their breath, since complaining won't help provide a solution any faster. They appear to have an idea which files are involved, but may still need to determine exactly what portions of these processes or detections are creating the issue itself.

And as also mentioned, this doesn't appear to affect any true functionality, it's just an annoying error message that shouldn't be happening, so its priority will be something less than critical.

Typically, an update will be released the Wednesday following any true 'fix' that is discovered. Expecting anything else in this situation is just wishful thinking.

Bitman