Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Spybot 1.6.2 update and Runtime Error 216

Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    @ NotGeordie Thanks for reporting so quickly. Lets try something else. Please turn off all file sets but the usage tracks.
    Ok, I did that Buster. The Error reports (both "The instruction at; etc." and the "Runtime error 216") did not come up.

My usage tracks were revealed, I shut down - no error reports.

Hmmmm.
    --------------------------------------------
    (1) XP Home SP3, IntelCore2Duo@2GHz, 2GB RAM, IE8
    (2) XP Home SP3, IntelCeleron@1.6GHz, 1GB RAM, IE8
    Wired Home Net

I still think it has to do with the recent updates concerning the last part of the scan. I also believe the very last part of the scan includes scanning the downloading directories. I don`t know if the recent updates also covered that part.

I really can`t believe the errors are due to malware. The pop-ups are generated because process SpybotSD.exe cannot be shut down. So it looks like a bug in the program to me.

@ NotGoerdie
    Ok, so lets see if this also happens using the old advcheck linked in my last post.

@ Ras1974
    If you are experiencing the same as NotGoerdie, please try the old advcheck.dll linked above.
    "The advantage of wisdom is that you can always act the fool. The opposite is quite tough."

K. Tucholsky

Please help us improve Spybot and download our distributed testing client.

Thanks for your super quick reply buster, i will try that tonight @home. I`m at work now. I will post my results tonight in this thread.

Another possible reason may be the new advcheck.dll, which has been released last week. Hence we would like you to install the old advcheck.dll, which can be found here. Please download the zip file, unzip and start the included .exe file. Thanks!
    Well, I tried that, but unfortunately, we're not there yet. The same errors came up after running Spybot. I did move the advcheck163.exe and advcheck163.zip into a temp file before executing the .exe you suggested. Should I place them back into their original folder, or is it more complex than that?

Of note, after executing the old .exe from the zip file you recommended there was NO advcheck.exe or advcheck.zip in my Program Files\Spybot-Search & Destroy\Updates folder, which is where the '163' versions did reside. Perhaps the instal didn't work and I should try again? Or is this what you expected to see?

I'll place the '162' versions in there manually, run again and see what happens, just for the heck of it.
    Last edited by NotGeordie; 2009-08-06 at 11:51. Reason: Afterthought
    Wired Home Net

@ NotGeordie
    Sorry, I should have mentioned to end Spybot and Teatimer prior to this. Usually the advcheck.dll should be replaced by this installer. Did you enter the correct program path in the wizzard? The new old advcheck (1.62) should be placed at your Spybot - Search & Destroy program directory, most often "%programfiles%\Spybot - Search & Destroy\advcheck.dll"

@ Ras1974
    Thanks, I'll keep waiting for your results. ;-)
    "The advantage of wisdom is that you can always act the fool. The opposite is quite tough."

K. Tucholsky

Please help us improve Spybot and download our distributed testing client.

@ NotGeordie
    Sorry, I should have mentioned to end Spybot and Teatimer prior to this. Usually the advcheck.dll should be replaced by this installer. Did you enter the correct program path in the wizzard? The new old advcheck (1.62) should be placed at your Spybot - Search & Destroy program directory, most often "%programfiles%\Spybot - Search & Destroy\advcheck.dll"
    OK, my last attempt, previous post didn't work. I'll undo what I've done, shut down TeaTimer/Spybot and try again. I'll get back to you after I walk the dog (his priority, not mine!).
    Wired Home Net

Sorry Buster, no luck. I turned off Teatimer, closed S&D, ran the 1.6.2 advcheck.exe, then a scan. Same error.

I rebooted, ran again. Same error.

I disconnected from the net, turned off My NIS 2009, ran the .exe again, scanned. Same error.

Of note, perhaps, even after running the 1.6.2 advcheck.exe I noticed that the advcheck.dll in my S & D folder reads version 1.6.3.17, created 25/07/2008.

I don't know.

Can you tell me how to restore things back to the way they were? Or, I have a few minutes if you want me to try something else.
    Wired Home Net

NotGeordie, should the .dll not have today as created date? What if you rename the current .dll and then again run the .exe to get the new .dll in the SpybotSD program file directory. After that run the scan again, wish i was home so that i could also try