Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: Spybot 1.6.2 update and Runtime Error 216

Quote Originally Posted by David12846 View Post
    ...I removed SpyBot entirely. I then shut down my PC, and re-downloaded SpyBot. When I started SpyBot, I did NOT accept the updates. The update screen showed the following were available (but I did not download them):

- - - - -
    1) Advanced detection library 1.6.3 ( 784KB - 2009-07-29 )
    2) Immunization database ( 546 KB - 2008-11-05 )
    3) Tea Timer update 1.6.6 ( 1011 KB - 2009-03-11 )
    4) English descriptions ( 281 KB - 2008-09-10 )
    - - - - -

I then ran 3 tests (Firefox running, not running, running but closed during SpyBot scan) , re-booting the PC between each test. The 216 error did NOT appear after each test.

I then re-booted, ran SpyBot and checked for up-dates. The 4 updates listed above were available. I accepted all 4 of them. I then ran SpyBot and only "Checked for Problems". SpyBot reported no problems. I then closed SpyBot.... and the 216 error appeared !!
    As someone else said, they doubt FireFox is to blame . I tend to agree. To me, it appears as if one of the updates in the list above is the culprit.

Maybe someone else (a SpyBot guru?) could/would run through my senario of reloading SpyBot without accepting the updates then execute SpyBot to be certain the 216 error does not appear (Maybe execute it 2 or 3 times to be sure... programs have an uncanny habit of making changes). Then accept the updates one at a time and execute SpyBot after each update to see whether the 216 error appears (again, run it 2 or 3 times between each update just to be sure) . Maybe "we" can narrow it down to a bad update .

While I'm here posting, I also use "Primary Response SafeConnect" (by Sana Security). It checks for programs that change behavior. A few times recently when I boot-up, it alerts me that TeaTimer has changed the way it behaves . Before the 216 error, the "program change for TeaTimer" alert did not appear.

David

Post Another Firefox User

To add to the data gathering process:

I started getting the 216 message a few weeks back. Spybot runs every night. Most nights I leave Firefox windows open.

As a test, after getting the 216 message this morning, I closed Firefox and ran Search & Destroy again. No error message. (No intervening reboot.)

I'm running:

XP Home SP3 all fixes to date installed,
    Firefox 3.5.2 all fixes installed, Adblock Plus 1.1, AVG Safe Search 8.5

Also, for what it is worth, this version of Firefox is crashing a lot and having problems re-opening all its windows / tabs when it re-starts.

Not blaming Spybot nor Firefox but there seems to be a connection. Just happy it is not a hardware problem.

I don't think it's caused by Firefox as I didn't install Firefox on my PC. I am using IE7, running on WinXp SP3. I started to have the error 216 problem since early this month.

The only thing I can do now is disable "MalwareC.sbi" in the setting, and the problem is gone. I don't know why would this happen and still looking solution for that.

Sam

Esteemed Member

Those of you stating that Firefox isn't the 'problem', you're missing the point. Firefox is simply the only currently known item that is clearly known to be able to cause the situation on some systems. It may not be the fault of Firefox itself, which is why I specifically indicated that Firefox 'aggravated' the situation in my post above.

For those who don't have Firefox installed, do you have any browsers installed other then Internet Explorer? What we're looking for is most likely a core component of the browser, not the actual browser itself and most of the other third-party browsers share the same core Mozilla components.

If not, then something else on your PC (and possibly even ours) may be involved. The only thing that a few of us know for certain is that we can turn this problem on and off like a switch based on whether we open Firefox or not during a scan.

My own guess is that a change in the new Advanced Check Library is interacting with certain core components of Firefox and possibly other programs in an unintended way, resulting in the error message sequence occuring upon exit after a scan. The fact that those testing specific SBI modules are also finding differing results points to the probability that several different combinations of programs might be involved as symptoms along with Firefox.

The fact that several Windows Updates were also released in this same time period including some related to significant changes in the ALT Libraries which are also reflected in multiple other vendors recent updates simply confuses the issue even further.

If you really are tryng to help, then find the specific program contributing to your particular situation, those of us with Firefox have already done that. We understand fully that this doesn't appear to be the issue in your case, so what is?

Bitman

Post Another piece of data

Quote Originally Posted by Ras1974 View Post
    when i abort the scan at say 545000 checked items the error will not occur.
    I'll let those of you more technically knowledgeable about spybot to decide if this is relevant. Tonight, Firefox was open when spybot started. I closed Firefox when spybot was 550,xxx / 574,xxx thru processing. When spybot finished a little while later, I was able to close it with no errors.

@ all

Thanks for posting all these information. As some users are getting the error message although there has not been no FireFox installed so far, please test the following two files. Please download the old include files and the old advcheck.dll and restart your system after the files have been installed. Subsequent please run a scan. Thanks!
    "The advantage of wisdom is that you can always act the fool. The opposite is quite tough."

K. Tucholsky

Please help us improve Spybot and download our distributed testing client.

Finally, I've done the following:
    1. Uninstalled the Spybot, delete all Spybot create folders and clean up the registry.
    2. Reboot the system and install the Spybot 1.62 again.
    3. Uncheck "Download update immediately" in the middle of the setup dialog.
    4. Finished installation, reboot and run Spybot to check, not successful, it ask me to do update first as no system files can be found.
    5. Check for update and update those available updates one by one, according to their release date.
    6. Perform a Spybot check after each update, no error 216 anymore.
    7. Do the "Advanced detection library 1.6.3" update finally, then perform Spybot check again, error 216 comes out.
    8. Download the old advcheck162.zip and run the exe file inside.
    9. Check the advcheck.dll file inside the "Spybot - Search & Destroy" folder under "Program Files", the advcheck.dll still 1.6.3.17.
    10. rename the "advcheck.dll" file, run the exe file inside the advcheck162.zip again.
    11. Check advcheck.dll again, version is now 1.6.2.13.
    12. Run Spybot check again, no error 216 message.

I think the problem solved after roll back to advcheck162.

My PC is running WinXP SP3, IE7, and AVG8.5. No IE8, Firefox or Chrome been installed before.

I have a notebook that running WinXP SP3, IE7, and AVG8.5 as well. This notebook installed IE8 and Chrome before, but not Firefox, both IE8 & Chrome been uninstalled a couple months ago. This notebook do not have the error 216 problem.

I hope the above information is useful. Anyway, it's a great relief that it's not a trojan or hardware problem, cause it bothers me for weeks!

Thank you for all of you and I will keep following this thread.

Sam

Hello Sam,

thanks for reporting! Let's see if this also fixes the issues on other systems.
    "The advantage of wisdom is that you can always act the fool. The opposite is quite tough."

K. Tucholsky

Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    Hello Sam,

thanks for reporting! Let's see if this also fixes the issues on other systems.
    I just done some combination and found the following:
    1. use advcheck.dll 1.6.2.13 + enable all sbi files in File Sets
    result: no error
    2. use advcheck.dll 1.6.3.17 + disable MalwareC.sbi in File Sets
    result: no error
    3. use advcheck.dll 1.6.3.17 + enable all sbi files in File Sets
    result: runtime error 216
    Does this test mean something to you?

Sam

Thanks for testing this. Yes it has a meaning to us. There is one more test I would like you to do. Please disable the hijackers.sbi and enable the malwarec.sbi once again.

K. Tucholsky