Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415 LastLast

Thread: Spybot 1.6.2 update and Runtime Error 216

Smile Thanks ...

Hi Sandra ...

(A New Member here ...) and after only about a week of seeing this 216 Run time error, I decided to get on line and find out whats been happening to fix .. it. Seems many others have seen the 216 problem for a longer period than I, so I'd say my timing was pretty good, in that when just as I was going to add my 2 cents worth... (American slang for "useless unsolicited dribble"), your post appear with the fix ... I've downloaded and will install shortly. Thanks to the Spybot team for all your efforts!!!

Mark

Default advcheck.dll

I've downloaded the spybotsd_advcheck-1.6.4.18.exe and attempted execution. The install wizard fails due to no advcheck.dll in the <C:\PROGRAM FILES\Spybot - Search & Destroy> directory.

I'm currently running 1.6.2.48, last updated on Sept 2, '09.

Am I missing something ?

Default worked for me

i use spybot 1.6.2.42 and the advcheck fixed the problem.

@MarkInCentralTexas

Hello,

We recommend a fresh install of Spybot - Search & Destroy.

Please uninstall Spybot - Search & Destroy according to the following link.
    Then make a fresh install of Spybot - Search & Destroy 1.6.2.
    You will find links to several download locations on our website.

Or choose the direct installation file.

Then download the fresh advcheck here.
    Run the exe file, it is a manual update for your advcheck.dll.

Best regards
    Sandra
    Team Spybot

Thumbs up

Just run a scan with the latest update, the error 216 gone

Thanks,
    Sam

Kudos to the Spybot team. Just downloaded this weeks updates, ran a scan and everything completed normally with no 216 error. Yea!

Cool Thank You

Quote Originally Posted by spybotsandra View Post
    Hello,

We are sorry that it took so long - but we have finally found and fixed the error. Please download a fresh advcheck here.

Best regards
    Sandra
    Team Spybot
    1st time I tried to run the exe file, I got an error. Renamed advcheck. (it is a hidden file, had to display hidden files to find it). Then exe ran fine and the 216 message went away.

Thank you.

Thumbs up 216 Error Follow Up

Hi All,

Thanks Sandra for the reply and solution. First, a couple of corrections: 1) Version is 1.6.2.46 (not ...48), 2) advcheck.dll is NOT missing. It was hidden, duh, (same as frommich), another optimization for security must have reset it to do not show.

Second, my actions (8 Sept/9 Sept): Copied advcheck.dll and SpybotSD.exe from wife's computer to thumb drive, attempted copy from thumb drive to laptop folder. Confirm rewrite over existing file ?... hmmm, canceled copy, checked and set folder options to show hidden/system files and sure enough, saw they was present (there's the 'duh' factor'). So, I re-ran <spybotsd_advcheck-1.6.4.18.exe> with the same result as before. I asked myself why is this hidden ... wife's file wasn't ... I reasoned this be why the dll update was not successful.

Quote Originally Posted by spybotsandra View Post
    @MarkInCentralTexas

Hello,

We recommend a fresh install of Spybot - Search & Destroy.

Please uninstall Spybot - Search & Destroy according to the following link.
    Then make a fresh install of Spybot - Search & Destroy 1.6.2.
    You will find links to several download locations on our website.

Or choose the direct installation file.

Then download the fresh advcheck here.

Best regards
    Sandra
    Team Spybot
    Okay, so I'd not received the instant notification emails on new posts to this thread following mine of 8 Sept, but in a discussion with my wife also that night, she had suggested the very same actions as in Sandra post, of 9 Sept above (Sandra, did you talk to my wife ? ). Anyway, it was already very late, I had other projects,tasks and errands for 9 Sept, and since the error occurred for me on SpybotSD closure only, I put it off ...

Action (10 Sept): So, I still 'had' the problem this morning. I checked the forums and see the new posts, Sandra's uninstall/reinstall, and frommich's comments. Now, I know I cannot delete 'hidden' system files (even though I own the *&$#% computer), so I (know I can) rename the advcheck.dll file (quick fix), rerun <spybotsd_advcheck-1.6.4.18.exe>, open/wait/close SpybotSD, the 216 error on closure goes away, and life is wonderful again.

Now, this solved the immediate problem, but ultimately I will do the uninstall/reinstall per Sandra's suggestion, as this will cleanup any other oddities. So, a Big Thank You to Sandra, and the Spybot S & D team involved in resolving this 216 (for me, closure) annoyance.

Mark

Thanks.
    Glad to hear.

Default fixed!

Too cool for school, the team fixed it! Thankssss!

My test scenario:

1. Updated via the usual way. A pop-up appeard stating that the advcheck.dll was read only. There was a retry button to (try to) overwrite it. I pressed it. The pop-up disappeared.
    2. Ran a complete scan, and upon closing the errors appeared again, so the overwriting of the old dll did not work via the regular update process.
    3. Ran the spybotsd_advcheck-1.6.4.18.exe, same problem, the execution could not be succesfully completed because of the read only dll. Even after pressing the rety button.
    4. Renamed the old dll file.
    5. Looked for updates again via the regular process, of couse there were none.
    6. Ran again the spybotsd_advcheck-1.6.4.18.exe en this time the execution could be succesfully completed.
    7. Checked the dll and a new one was created.
    8. Ran a complete scan, closed and the problem was solved.

So my conclusions:

A. No uninstall is needed.
    B. Just rename the old dll en either update via the regular way or use the spybotsd_advcheck-1.6.4.18.exe.

Kind regards,
    Ras