Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Spybot 1.6.2 update and Runtime Error 216

Attempting to recreate the error after reboot on my end didn't work, either. I suppose it might've been a one-time issue? I'm certainly a little more relieved that other people are seeing this at the same time and in the same manner - Unless the latest update was hijacked from SpyBot and a SubSeven trojan was delieved with the autoupdate (possible), I'm hoping this is just a one-off fluke.

And, I will note, I noticed exactly the same behavior as NotGeordie.

Exclamation

I am still having the problem after running spybot, even after rebooting.

I think that happens when Spybot downloads an update to the program. I think it closes the old program and re-opens the new one. Well, that's my theory, and I'm stickin' to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Werewolf View Post
    I am still having the problem after running spybot, even after rebooting.
    I'm just curious... If you let the scan conclude, and then after finishing the scan, let the computer sit for a moment or two before closing Spybot, does this happen? I'm wondering if the error happens from closing SpyBot too quickly after finishing a scan.

Exclamation

Well, the problems back again, only now it reads: The instruction at "06CF40C2" referenced memory at "0x0698de68". The memory could not be "read", followed by "Runtime error 216 at 06CF40C2".

I did let the program idle before shutting down.

There's 4 or 5 current posts under different threads with variants of this problem. Haven't seen any hard answers yet.

Quote Originally Posted by steve17 View Post
    I think that happens when Spybot downloads an update to the program. I think it closes the old program and re-opens the new one. Well, that's my theory, and I'm stickin' to it.
    I've had S S&D open a DOS window quite often when doing an update.

These popup errors have happened to me, since I think the last update:
    The instruction at "0x0a1340c2" referenced memory at "0x0a3ddec8" and
    Runtime Error 216 at 0A1340C2
    The addresses may vary

See the link to my first post at:
    http://forums.spybot.info/showthread...25913#poststop

My S&D scan runs overnight, so there's hours between end of program run and program close.

Possibly some S&D code conflict?
    There are reports of this error type in several places in the forums, as NotGeordie mentions
    Dugie
    Win 2000 Pro SP 4, AMD Sempron 3000

I admit that I am becoming increasingly concerned at the lack of any offical comment on this error. It is particularly distressing that the only google searches that reference a "runtime error 216" are security bulletins indicating that the error is caused by a Backdoor/Trojan.

I hate to be paranoid, but I am beginning to wonder if one of the spybot update mirrors was used as a vector to spread something nasty. Is there any log kept of spybot's updating behavior? Is there a log anywhere indicating what mirror was used to download the updates? If there is, then those of us experiencing this error can compare what mirrors we used for the download, and see if a trend emerges.

Edit: I will admit that I am not fully convinced that something nasty was spread, so I am not trying to say definitively that a trojan is being distributed. It's merely that the odd DOS behavior, multiple reports here, and this peculiar error are starting to make me very nervous!
    Last edited by VibrationalMode; 2009-08-04 at 08:25.

29 July I updated both my computers within moments of each other from SecurityWonks.net#1(USA).

One computer exhibits the problem discussed, the other does not. So - I don't think it's a mirror being hijacked.

It probably doesn't matter but the one with the problem: XP Home SP3, Intel Core2 Duo@2GHz, 2GB RAM, IE8; the other: XP Home SP3, Intel Celeron@1.6 GHz, 1GB RAM, IE8. Both on a Wired net.

Both run NIS 2009 & S S&D 1.6.2.46 constantly with SuperAntiSpyware, MBAM and MS Malicious Software Removal Tool on demand.

Neither report any infection/malware.

Odd, this thread is getting lots of views. If you were to add the other threads reporting the same problem - LOTS of views! Still waiting for hard answers (patiently, mind you).
    Last edited by NotGeordie; 2009-08-04 at 09:24. Reason: Clarity

Quote Originally Posted by NotGeordie View Post
    29 July I updated both my computers within moments of each other from SecurityWonks.net#1(USA).

One computer exhibits the problem discussed, the other does not. So - I don't think it's a mirror being hijacked.

It probably doesn't matter but the one with the problem: XP Home SP3, Intel Core2 Duo@2GHz, 2GB RAM, IE8; the other: XP Home SP3, Intel Celeron@1.6 GHz, 1GB RAM, IE8. Both on a Wired net.

Both run NIS 2009 & S S&D 1.6.2.46 constantly with SuperAntiSpyware, MBAM and MS Malicious Software Removal Tool on demand.

Neither report any infection/malware.

Odd, this thread is getting lots of views. If you were to add the other threads reporting the same problem - LOTS of views! Still waiting for hard answers (patiently, mind you).
    Thanks, NotGeordie! Your experience fairly much rules out my paranoid theory, and I am happier for it.

I wonder if it has to do with hardware, then. I'm running a Core2 Duo e6750 @2.66GHz, 2GB RAM, XP Professional SP3, wired connection, and I browse with the latest version of Opera. I run NOD32 constantly, and I scan weekly with SpyBot and MalwareBytes AntiMalware.

Hello,

This problem you experience may be caused by an infection. Just to make sure you are not infected with a rootkit, please run a scan for rootkits. Rootkits are a technology that is more and more often used by malware to hide themselves on system level, making themselves invisible to standard tools. Our RootAlyzer shows you anything that uses certain rootkit technologies, even if it's not in Spybot-S&Ds detection database.

The RootAlyzer is a single tool which goes through the file system, the registry and process related lists. When you start RootAlyzer, it performs a very quick scan of a few important places, taking about a second on modern machines. To check the full system, you have the possibility of choosing a Deep Scan.

Currently, the RootAlyzer is a work in progress (with a new project tools category in our forum to track bugs and feature requests), but it's already helping to easily locate most of the current malware rootkits. It is compatible with Windows NT/2000/XP/2k3 and Vista. If you like to check out the new RootAlyzer you will find it in our forum: http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=24185

Here is also the direct download link.

Please set your computer to show all files.

* Double-click My Computer.

* Click the Tools menu, and then click Folder Options.

* Click the View tab.

* Clear "Hide file extensions for known file types."

* Under the "Hidden files" folder, select "Show hidden files and folders."

* Clear "Hide protected operating system files."

* Click Apply, and then click OK.

Please select the tab 'deep scan' and let it fully scan your Pc. The scan will take a moment, please be patient. After the scan is done please click on 'pack suspicious files' which is located right at the bottom. This will create a .cab file on your desktop which contains the log and the suspicious files the scan has found. Please send us an e-mail (with this .cab file as attachment) to: detections(at)spybot.info .

Please also download gmer: www.gmer.net and let it do a full scan on your Pc. Subsequent you will be allowed to save the log created during the scan. Please also send us this log.

Thanks!

Best regards
    Sandra
    Team Spybot