Thread: CoolWWWSearch Spyware Killed Spybot

Arrow CoolWWWSearch Spyware Killed Spybot

The CoolWWWSearch spyware-virus got on my computer, and Spybot 1.3 wouldn't work. It was closing down with some German words partway through searching for spyware. CoolWWWSearch came up on its list of spyware on the computer. It did this whenever it searched, so I uninstalled it. But Spybot 1.4 won't install correctly, because of a "corrupt" include.exe (or something) file, which might have been left over from the previous version. Or maybe it is really the spyware virus preventing it from working right.

CWS shredder does not completely remove it, since there are some hidden things that the spyware respawns from. Ad-aware and Adware-away recognize it and appear to remove it according to the programs, but the spyware reappeared on Spybot, so the programs' removal of the CWS spyware was not complete.

We took the computer to the computer repair store. The store fixed it like it fixes many other things- the computer works, CWS doesn't effect the computer's most significant processes, the internet and other programs (except spybot) work. But the CWS spyware still came up on Spybot. The CWS spyware also prevented the online WINDOWS UPDATE v4 from working.

Do you have a response to the above problem, and an easy way that removes the CWS spyware completely? The computer is a Dell Laptop with RAM memory that is too small for Symantec's memory hogging virus scanner to run smoothly, although I think I tried it too (It did not remove the CWS spyware.).
    Last edited by tashi; 2006-06-10 at 11:15. Reason: Duplicate topic removed

Hello.
    Please follow the instructions in this sticky topic:
    BEFORE you post and who will advise you. Preliminary Steps

As you are having problems with Spybot-S&D at the moment, skip that particular scan.

Start your own topic here:
    Malware Forum

Someone will then take a look at the system as soon as available to do so.

Regards.
    Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2018-
    Windows Insider MVP 2016-2018
    Microsoft Consumer Security MVP 2006-2016

Tash, so in other words, you want me to post it in the malware forum?

I read the place you linked to. What you meant is that you dont want me to use the anti-virus scan that is offered at the site? I ran an AVG scan, and it came up clean.

I posted here not just to get advice but to commiserate with other Spybot users about this problem.

Thanks,

-Rako

1) In the Malware Forum you will get help from a Malware Removal Expert to remove the CWS Pest and eventual other Malware from your PC. For that you need to post there :

a) The HiJackThis log
    b) The on-line Anti Virus scan log/report

And you post there too that you have problems with Spybot-S&D at the moment, and eventual any other problems you can think of that could be Malware related.

2) In this part of the forum you can discuss technical issues/problems about Spybot-S&D.

Greetz, Red.

I downloaded and ran the latest version of spybot. It was able to run successfully and "fix" the problems without starting in safe mode. Of course the problem with CWS could be "fixed" but pop up again next time just like it happened after I "fixed" it with CWSHREDDER.

Thanks for advice.

-Rako

Hello rakovsky

Quote Originally Posted by rakovsky
    The CoolWWWSearch spyware-virus got on my computer,
    CWS shredder does not completely remove it, since there are some hidden things that the spyware respawns from.
    The CWS spyware also prevented the online WINDOWS UPDATE v4 from working.
    UPDATE v4? What is your Operating System and which security programs are installed besides anti spyware applications?

I posted here not just to get advice but to commiserate with other Spybot users about this problem.
    Procedural advice has already been posted above.

In the malware removal forum you did start a topic but without providing the logs requested (in the link provided) for analysis:
    http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=5048

If you wish to receive assistance to remove a malware problem or check the system for problems, please follow the instructions in this sticky topic:
    BEFORE you post. Preliminary Steps

Regards.
    Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2018-
    Windows Insider MVP 2016-2018
    Microsoft Consumer Security MVP 2006-2016

Quote Originally Posted by tashi
    UPDATE v4? What is your Operating System and which security programs are installed besides anti spyware applications?
    The V4 Windows Update site only works for Windows 98, Windows 98 Second Edition and Windows Millennium Edition. that I know because when using WU on my WinME computer it goes to the Windows Update V4 site. so it looks like rakovsky might be using either Win98 or WinME [though it would be best if he mentioned in his posts what version of Windows he is using]. Those using Win2000, XP or 2003 the WU site will redirect to the V6 Windows Update site.