Thread: virus prevents me from running spybot

Default virus prevents me from running spybot

Hi, I'm in need of help, let me explain the situation.

First, I use Avast as my antivirus. The registration expired, and before I could get a new one, I'm sure I caught a virus.

I started seeing popups of a program called Home Antivirus 2010. I googled it and i realized it was a virus. I did a search on my computer and deleted all of the related files.

I updated avast, installed zone alarm and spybot.

I ran avast and it found and deleted some files. I ran zone alarm and it prevented some intrusions. However, even though spybot is installed, the icon is on my taskbar, spybot won't run.

I tried renaming SpybotSD.exe and then running it, but when I did it had a
    error, i think it said it was missing the sqlite3.dll, and to try reinstalling the program. I uninstalled and deleted anything spybot related, downloaded spybot again, and reinstalled. However, I still cant run spybot.

I also noticed that the virus hacked my facebook account and posted the same video three times, but i deleted the postings, changed my password, and it hasn't happened since.

Please help. thanks

At first I couldn't find the .scr file using the instructions for step one on the link given. Then I fallowed: Uncheck the "Hide protected operating system file (Recommended)" option in step 2. There were 4 .scr files and after opening up all of them spybot finally started.

I ran spybot and it found several things: trojans, tracking cookies, and some bad registry entries. I clicked the "fix the selected problems" button. Then i ran it again. Another problem was found: Microsoft.WindowsSecurityCenter_disabled

Again, I clicked the "fix the selected problems" button and ran it again. Just like before the same problem was found again. This time however there were a lot of errors. i.e
    Error during check!
    EBlaster[29 - $5EFA35A2] (Out of memory)

Error during check!
    Win32.lksmas.ai [1 - $D8F00DD6] (Out of memor)

Then when I tried using the immunize option, but there was an error saying that there were open browsers detected even though i wasnt online. I use Mozilla, but spybot said it was IE that was open. I used windows task manager to close the IE browser, and then spybot worked.

After i closed spybot, i tried running it again using the toolbar icon, but just like before it wouldnt run. It only works using the .scr method. Thanks for the help.

You're welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by RGarcia85
    After i closed spybot, i tried running it again using the toolbar icon, but just like before it wouldnt run. It only works using the .scr method.
    In that case,I'd suggest you get checked out in malware removal.

The instructions are here:
    http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=288

Malware Removal:
    http://forums.spybot.info/forumdisplay.php?f=22