Page 11 of 20 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Spybot 2.0 ????

Quote Originally Posted by lewisje View Post
    According to the developer of Safari AdBlock, Safari 5 (available for Windows XP and later) is able to block content: http://safariadblock.com/
    WRONG, lewisje! That Adblock for Safari 5 is for Mac OSes only. The author of Safari AdBlock does NOT mention Windows! AND Safari 5 Extensions feature is for those using recent Mac OSes. OOPSIE!

Apple didn't implement "extensions" for Safari 5 under Windows. So there's no way to install the Safari adblock extension under Windows. The Mac version of Safari 5 Browser seems to be more superior than its Windows counterpart and is more robust.

Quote Originally Posted by hanschke View Post
    the project is dead
    not true, hanschke. if it were that, then it would have been abandoned already. so the Spybot 2.0 project is on standby for a while.

I may have to give up using Spybot 1.62 since I'm pretty happy using Microsoft Software Essentials with its latest detection updates and MSE doesn't take almost forever to load unlike Spybot 1.62 with its latest updates installed. I hope when Spybot 2.0 comes out (whenever it's ready), it will launch a lot faster than the 1.62 version.
    Last edited by noel-pr7; 2010-06-23 at 17:47.

standby? lol - it is only another description for the coming death. why is there no news about a soon release. i dont think that you can write a beta will come soon and after 6 month noting happen. yes there was a twitter adnouce for a beta. and soon is soon and not at the end of the year.

it's actually june, and not the end of the year.

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by noel-pr7 View Post
    WRONG, lewisje! That Adblock for Safari 5 is for Mac OSes only. The author of Safari AdBlock does NOT mention Windows! AND Safari 5 Extensions feature is for those using recent Mac OSes. OOPSIE!

Apple didn't implement "extensions" for Safari 5 under Windows. So there's no way to install the Safari adblock extension under Windows. The Mac version of Safari 5 Browser seems to be more superior than its Windows counterpart and is more robust.
    That entire post is contradicted by my own experience.

I have in fact used the Windows version of Safari 5 (and I don't even have a Mac that can run it), and just like the Mac version, you can show the Develop menu in the Preferences, and then Enable Extensions in the Develop menu, and then start installing extensions. If you doubt me I can make a screenshot showing the Extensions panel, looking at AdBlock.

As I said I don't know whether Safari 5 improved this on the Mac, but I've noticed ever since Safari 4 came out that the Windows version has seemed to be more robust and stable than the Mac version; its only issue is that the custom plugins (not extensions) like ClickToFlash and GreaseKit were hard to port to Windows and weren't ported, probably because almost no Windows user actually relied on Safari as a primary browser.

BTW, the author of Safari AdBlock didn't mention the MacOS either, so it must not work on the Mac

Sandra: When An update takes this long it usually means somethings going on.
    - overhaul of programm
    - serious programming issues
    - serious illness
    - large conflict within the group
    - being overtaken by A larger competitor
    - introducing the fact that people need to start paying for A 'full' version, but the discussion about pricing and such isn't quite finished yet.

It's not I like Safer networking having any type of issues (quite the contrary.)
    It's A bit weird to get information that the beta is almost done & all of a sudden the beta takes A few extra months to finish.

These (spreading) rumours aren't good to safer networkings rep. nor are they A very good stimulant for the team to concentrate on finishing the software.

However, you/safer networking/Patrick need to realise that little to no news concerning to S&D2 in this periode with such A 'hyped' post A good couple of months ago is fuelling the rumours of problems@safer networking HQ.

So I'd advise Safer networking/Patrick to just be honest, even for A tiny bit.
    There's no(?) need for A immediate press-release or something, but A short explainatory tweet would be nice.

Having A kick-ass programm is one thing, too much anticipation for A sequel might be(come) an issue
    Last edited by Rouke; 2010-07-01 at 05:27.

Hello Rouke,

Does it help your speculation to know that Patrick is back now after a baby break?
    You might want to follow him/us on Twitter for the latest accurate news.

Best regards
    Sandra
    Team Spybot

Quote Originally Posted by lewisje View Post
    I have in fact used the Windows version of Safari 5 (and I don't even have a Mac that can run it), and just like the Mac version, you can show the Develop menu in the Preferences, and then Enable Extensions in the Develop menu, and then start installing extensions. If you doubt me I can make a screenshot showing the Extensions panel, looking at AdBlock.
    no need to post a screenshot, lewisje. I over-reacted on my previous post.
    Contacted Michael myself about his Adblock for Safari extension a few days and it does work with Safari 5 for Windows. certainly the "extensions" feature in safari 5 (both mac/win platforms) has been hidden at first and it needed to be displayed on the menu bar.

As I said I don't know whether Safari 5 improved this on the Mac, but I've noticed ever since Safari 4 came out that the Windows version has seemed to be more robust and stable than the Mac version; its only issue is that the custom plugins (not extensions) like ClickToFlash and GreaseKit were hard to port to Windows and weren't ported, probably because almost no Windows user actually relied on Safari as a primary browser.

BTW, the author of Safari AdBlock didn't mention the MacOS either, so it must not work on the Mac
    this time you're wrong on that one. Safari Adblock DOES work on Safari 5 on Mac computers; my cousin living in San Diego owns a Mac computer and Safari Adblock works on there.

I'm now considering uninstalling Spybot 1.62 as it longer meets my needs. Lately Lavasoft will be releasing a new version of Ad-aware free edition soon called "Ad-Aware Free Internet Security" which will feature antivirus like features. I'll be getting that one and using that one along with the newly released version of the Microsoft Security Essentials software on my XP/Vista computers.

Perhaps someday I'll come back to using Spybot when a 2.0 version (beta, RC or final) is actually ready. so long for now.
    Last edited by noel-pr7; 2010-07-02 at 06:45.

Meanwhile...

Quote Originally Posted by spybotsandra View Post
    Does it help your speculation to know that Patrick is back now after a baby break?
    You might want to follow him/us on Twitter for the latest accurate news.
    Congratulations Patrick.
    Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2018-
    Windows Insider MVP 2016-2018
    Microsoft Consumer Security MVP 2006-2016

Hi there Sandra,

Since it wasn't posted that Patrick had himself A holiday I was getting worried, just like A couple of others.

Not that I really still need S&D2.0; my internet is getting disconnected.. Permanently...

Good to know Patrick had some well deserved time off, next time just inform us will you. (if you did, it didn't was noticed by all visitors..)
    or did he & his girlfriend/wife have A baby as implied?
    Last edited by Rouke; 2010-07-03 at 06:42.

Exclamation

I didn't know that Patrick had become a daddy...
    Quote Originally Posted by noel-pr7 View Post
    this time you're wrong on that one. Safari Adblock DOES work on Safari 5 on Mac computers; my cousin living in San Diego owns a Mac computer and Safari Adblock works on there.
    the rolleyes were intended to impart sarcasm

Anyway I'd recommend keeping Spybot around, and just disabling TeaTimer and only using it for its immunization feature, because I don't know another program that does all that Spybot does in that area.
    Last edited by lewisje; 2010-07-04 at 04:55.