Page 16 of 20 FirstFirst ... 6121314151617181920 LastLast

Thread: Spybot 2.0 ????

Quote Originally Posted by m00nbl00d View Post
    Reality is, this thread was started at 2009-08-02. More than a year ago. I'm sure the news about version 2.0 came before this.

So, does it take more than a year to release a beta version? And, Safer Networking is expecting to release a version without as many bugs as possible. How are they expecting this without the help users, who have different systems, applications, etc, so that version 2.0 comes better beta after beta?

I simply don't get how it doesn't even come out of alpha. And, if after all this time not even a beta, then when will the final release come out? Two years from now, with good luck?
    I think you make a valid point. I think that even a public Alpha would be commendable and help speed the development of the program. It is understandable to want to release a high-quality product with no bugs, but releasing it with the Beta tag represents that there are some bugs left and it is not completely reflective of the final product.

I guess different companies hold different philosophies, but I do think holding off for so long on a release of an innovative industry just causes a great program to disappear and fall off the face of the industry. By one or two years time from now nobody will know what this program even is because it becomes outdated... There might even be better alternatives.

I say that a public beta released in the next few months at least with a known issues list. This is just my opinion though.

Kudos to the Safer Networking Team for working hard though. Here's to a great new year

Quote Originally Posted by petgamer View Post
    [...]There might even be better alternatives.[...]
    Well, that is exactly the problem (for Safer Networking). There are already better alternatives for quite sometime now. Spybot stayed behind. Only weekly updates against an aggressive malware scenario isn't helpful either. These other alternatives update daily and, at least, twice a day.

Don't take this as bad criticism; I do support the idea behind Spybot, and I do install it to relatives, which is why I wonder what the heck is happening. As I previously mentioned, it would be kind of sad to see a once great antimalware application to simply fade to dust.

Well, that is exactly the problem (for Safer Networking). There are already better alternatives for quite sometime now. Spybot stayed behind. Only weekly updates against an aggressive malware scenario isn't helpful either. These other alternatives update daily and, at least, twice a day.

Don't take this as bad criticism; I do support the idea behind Spybot, and I do install it to relatives, which is why I wonder what the heck is happening. As I previously mentioned, it would be kind of sad to see a once great antimalware application to simply fade to dust.
    yea, it would be a shame if Spybot faded into obsolecense.
    let's face it. the kinds of viruses/spyware/malware released today aren't what they used to be several years ago when I used Spybot 1.2 and Ad-aware 5.x back in early 2003. Spybot S&D back then was better than Ad-aware.

ever since Microsoft Security Essentials came out late in 2009 and when I installed and ran it on all my machines, it felt like it was time to let go of Spybot S&D. And when Lavasoft released Ad-aware Free Internet Security software v8.3x in July 2010 (which was an antivirus & antispyware program), that was when I decided to uninstall Spybot S&D 1.6x on all my computers (yup, that was the final nail in Spybot's coffin). It was falling behind the times. Seems like Spybot lost me at goodbye.

I may come back to using the upcoming Spybot 2.0 program if and when it ever evolves into an antimalware/antivirus software package, which is truly needed in today's computing world. An antispyware alone program is insufficient nowadays. And an antivirus alone program is also not enough.

Cyberthreats are evolving. Time for Spybot to do the same.
    Last edited by noel-pr7; 2011-01-03 at 21:36.

Could you guys let us know what is the current status? Any estimate time of release of a first beta version? What is the situation regarding Spybot 2.0 text? Is it final? Or, are you guys still going to change some of the wording? I ask because I'd like to help with the translation to my language.

Please, say something...

As far it looks, no such reply on beta subforum at all, after like... 5-6 months. No changes at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom.K View Post
    As far it looks, no such reply on beta subforum at all, after like... 5-6 months. No changes at all.
    That's crazy. It's like they're TRYING to screw this up.

Indeed.

They have to hurry getting a release of the beta version soon. (Before February)

You could try Spybot Portable in the meanwhile

Quote Originally Posted by imageek View Post
    Indeed.

They have to hurry getting a release of the beta version soon. (Before February)
    You were saying?

You were saying?
    He meant Feb 2012 ...