Thread: Service Pack 3 unable to install

Default Service Pack 3 unable to install

I'm not sure this is the place to post this as I'm definitley not that computer minded, however I can follow instructions . Being a have a go female I'd like some help.

My computer has just been wiped clean & the OS re-installed however the guy only put SP2 on it & told me to download SP3 when I got back home. I've tried to do this several times but it keeps telling me the installation has failed, so this last time I read the microsoft website which said to disable my AV (Kaspersky) whilst I installed. Things did progress further this time but then it said it couldn't install as c:\windows\system32\advapi32.dll was either open or being used by another application.

I didn't have anything else open whilst I was installing & I'm not sure what the above process does when running but I really need somehelp before this computer goes out of the window.

Can anyone help? If I'm in totally the wrong place can someone tell me where I could find help please?

Default Forgot to say

My computer is a DELL optiplex GX520
    The OS is Windows XP professional
    The AV is Kaspersky
    I also have Net Intelligence installed (it's a works computer)
    I connect remotely to a server for work (not sure if this has any bearing) but I wasn't online to that server whilst trying to install SP3

Anything else please let me know. Cheers
    Last edited by tashi; 2009-08-15 at 19:26. Reason: Moved from the malware removal forum ;-)

Hi,

Try this link: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en

Cheers.

PS: Do correct me if I'm wrong
    Last edited by chewdz; 2009-08-16 at 07:39. Reason: Added info =)
    Microsoft Certified Professional (MCP) in Office Word 2007

Red Hat Certified Technician (RHEL5) 2009

Default Link

Hi,

Thanks I'd already visited that page & couldn't find anything to help me.

I've looked into the advapi32.dll file and it appears to have been created by SP2 but i'm not sure why it would be running or open whilst installing SP3.

I have also found an error code of 0x8007054f for this failed install but have trawled the internet & can't make any sense of what I find, just people refering to links which I've already visited.

One suggestion was to uninstall IE8 as that could conflict so I've done that & am back with the default of IE6

Is it possible to uninstall SP2 then just have SP1 on and install SP3? ie: will SP3 install over SP1 or does it need SP2?

Just a few suggestions before I try anything else.

It's really annoying because I can't use my ipod on this computer unless SP3 is installed!!!!

Hi,

Sorry but I'm not as good as the other members here in Spybot forums, so do forgive me if i mislead you or something like that.

I'm not sure it works by uninstalling SP1 and installing SP3. But you can try that of course, just make sure to make a copy of your computer's current state (backup, system restore, etc.)

Hope to hear from you soon.

Cheers.

PS. Correct me if I'm wrong. Thanks.
    Microsoft Certified Professional (MCP) in Office Word 2007

Red Hat Certified Technician (RHEL5) 2009