Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Unable to update Detection Rules

Default Unable to update Detection Rules

Have been running Spybot SSD for nearly a year now and have never had problems updating, other than occasional CheckSum error when server is busy. Last two days I keep getting these two error indications and cannot update Detection Rules:

Socket Error #10060 Connection Timed Out
    HTTP/ 1.1 200 OK

Don't know what they mean. Any problems with update server? Any suggestions?
    -----------------------
    My System Specs if needed:

Dell Dimension 4700 Desktop Intel Pentium4 2.80 GHz
    512MB DDR2 SDRAM
    SBC DSL 2 Wire Home Portal External Modem w/built-in hardwire firewall
    Windows XP SP2 V5.1.2600 with Internet Explorer v6.0.2900
    SBC Yahoo DSL Browser (modified IE)
    Java JRE v1.5.0 (build 1.5.0_06-b05)
    SpywareBlaster v3.5.1
    SpywareGuard v2.2.0
    Spybot Search & Destroy 1.4 (Teatimer off)
    IE-Spyad
    Ewido 3.5 Free (EwidoGuard removed)
    Adaware SE 1.06r1 (on demand)
    CCleaner v1.30.310
    MVPS Hosts File
    McAfee Personal Firewall Plus v7.1.113 (WinXP Firewall OFF!)
    Avast!4.7 Free Home Edition Build: 4.7.844
    MS Windows Defender v. 1.1.1347
    Specs: Dell 4700 Dsktop Intel P4; 512 RAM;
    WinXP 5.1 SP2; ATT-DSL Browser (uses IE6)
    SpywareBlaster;IE-Spyad;MVPS Hosts
    Comodo Firewall; Avast!Antivirus;
    Spybot S&D (Teatimer OFF)

***Thankyou Spybot S&D. Its the people like you that make the Internet a more safer and friendlier place to be!!!***

Default HTTP/1.1 200 OK Error Msg

Have tried all servers and still getting HTTP/1.1 200 OK. with every attempt to update Detection Rules. I'm not sure I fully understand the Tools Update manual process described therein. If I read this thread correctly, I do the manual download & execute it. Then I go into Spybot program integrated updates to flag this item as "Add to exclude list" to get this item off the available update listing. Then I should verify the size of my new Tools.dll in properties to be sure it is updated correctly. THEN I should once again go back into the program and remove the item from the exclude list? Correct?

Question

I just noticed your thread link refers to that poster's inability to update the "Detection Support Library". Is that the same thing as "Detection Rules", which is what I am unable to update? Just noticed the difference in wording.

I checked and the properties of c:\ProgramFiles\SpybotS&D\Tools.dll file is 467 kb and is Version 2.0.0.2. Would this indicate I'm up to date? If so, should I exclude Detection Rules to get it off the available update listing or not?

It would appear that you are now up-to-date. It is up to you whether or not to exclude the list, it shouldnt make any difference.
    ***Thankyou Spybot S&D. Its the people like you that make the Internet a more safer and friendlier place to be!!!***

Thank you very much for your help Jim B. I put this Definitions Rules update on the Exclude List. As I did NOT actually have to manually download the tools.dll, as MDSpybot Fan suggests here, & this file apparently updated OK the very first time I did the update in the normal fashion (w/ error message), then is this just a glitch in the software or update process itself? I'm up to date but the update doesn't recognize that I'm up to date? My Spybot integrated program update feature will still continue to offer future updates without a hitch, don't you think? Sure hope so.

I cant see any reason why it should not display future updates (or even download them through the integrated updater). I dont know exactly what it isat the moment, but if you search the forum people are having the same problems as you regarding the updates. Hopefully it should become right and you hopefully will be able to use Spybot as usual.

Just have to hope for the best.

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

buttoni:

Quote Originally Posted by buttoni
    I just noticed your thread link refers to that poster's inability to update the "Detection Support Library". Is that the same thing as "Detection Rules", which is what I am unable to update? Just noticed the difference in wording.
    You are correct!

The following two updates are not the same:
    • Detection rules
    • Detection support library

In addition there are two (2) other similarly named updates (containing the word "detection", that you may have received in the past or are pending) that are not the same as either of the two updates above:
    • Advanced detection library
    • Intermediary detection update

If you did an "Add to exclude list" for the following update in Spybot's integrated update facility you will no longer be notified of Spybot's weekly updates for the "Detection rules":
    • Detection rules

Were do you stand as far as updates are concerned? Please go into Spybot > Help > About. What are the following values?
    • Spybot - Search & Destroy 1.?
    • Latest detection update: 200?-??-??

If you go into Spybot > Updates (left pane) > then right click in the display area of the right pane:
    • Is "Remove from exclude list" grayed out?
      • If not grayed out, select "Remove from exclude list" and document what is in the menu.

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

Sorry I'm just getting back. Was out buying a new car yesterday. Help, About shows Apybot Version 1.4, Latest Detection 2006-06-02

When I right-click the update window, "Remove from Exclude List" is not greyed out and the submenu now shows Detection Rules (because I put it there yesterday). Is there a way to get it off the Exclude List?