Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Spybot won't run, insufficient rights ...?

Hello JHebert,

Quote Originally Posted by JHebert View Post
    I believe I've tried everything in the FAQ. I'm sorry, but is there something else I'm supposed to be doing?
    Quote Originally Posted by tashi View Post
    Hello,

Users with infected personal computers please see this FAQ: "BEFORE you POST"(READ this Procedure BEFORE Requesting Assistance)

If the infection prevents HJT from running, please start a topic anyway and make note of the situation.
    The link I provided gives instructions on how to start a topic in the Malware Removal Forum so that members can be helped by volunteer analysts. It does not give instructions in the cleaning of an infected computer.

Best regards.
    Last edited by tashi; 2009-08-20 at 21:56. Reason: clarify
    Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2018-
    Windows Insider MVP 2016-2018
    Microsoft Consumer Security MVP 2006-2016

Default Helping a friend

I am looking at a persoanl computer for my neighbor and I encountered the very same situation as described in this thread. I went as far as renaming the "spybotSD.exe" to "explorer.exe" and spybot started but disappeared a few seconds after launching. Now, I get the "Access denied" when I try to rename or delete the "explorer.exe" file.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hello,

Please have a look at the post above from Tashi.
    Thanks.

Best regards
    Sandra
    Team Spybot

Quote Originally Posted by spybotsandra View Post
    Hello,

Please have a look at the post above from Tashi.
    Thanks.

Best regards
    Sandra
    Team Spybot
    Thank you, I will look that page over but as I'm just doing this as a favor for a neighbor friend, and they only use their computer email and surfing, they already told me that they have little to loose on it. They have previously backed up their pictures and don't have much else on it.

I used one utility I found here in your forums and figured out that administrator rights have been turned off for a number of actions and these folks were smart enough to save their restore disks. So I just wiped the disk, repartitioned, reformattedto FAT32 and then converted to NTFS. I'm hoping that I got it all and there is nothing hidden in the boot sector or anywhere else. The reinstall is going nicely.

I tried to rename Spybot.exe to explorer.exe too, but only got as far as Uncheck - Hide protected operating system file (recommended). Microsoft stopped me with a sign stating "These files are required to start and run Windows. Deleting or editing them can make the computer inoperable.
    Last edited by rwphood; 2009-10-21 at 06:52.

I got Spybot working and ran a scan which went Ok, but today I had a look at Tools and found nd Spybot Configuration has blacklisted 21,005 files. When I ran yhe scan it looked like it had scanned about 7,000 files. How can I fix this?

----------------------------------------
    Mod Edit
    Other topic, http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=52775
    Last edited by rwphood; 2009-10-23 at 06:20.

Hello,

Please run Spybot - Search & Destroy and switch to "Advanced mode" via the menu bar item "Mode" and select "Settings" --> "File Sets" in the left bar. There, please right-click somewhere into the list and choose "select all available checks".

Best regards
    Sandra
    Team Spybot