Thread: Can not find Opt Out in Tool section

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Can not find Opt Out in Tool section

I was looking in the HELP section for a few things. I noticed something about Opting out of Advertisers
    (In "Help", search for the phrase "Opting out").

Help said:
    "You can find the Opt Out list by choosing Opt Out from the Tools section in the toolbar to the left".

I looked, but "Opt out" is not listed. The Tools section has only the following:
    View Report
    Bug Report
    Secure Shredder
    Resident
    Active X
    BHOs
    Browser Pages
    IE tweaks
    Hosts File
    Process List
    System Internals
    System Startup
    Uninstall info
    Winsock LSP

So where is "Opt out"

I see the section about Opting Out in the help file under update,but you're right,I don't see it in the Tools section,or anywhere else,unless I'm missing it.
    I still have an OptOut.ini in Program Files,though.

There's a warning about the opt-out links in the license.I'm guessing maybe it was removed from Spybot,perhaps for safety concerns.

4. Product info & opt-out links: those may often link to dubious pages. You may open them at your own risk, but you should take care to meet some security measures (like firewall, latest IE updates, updated antivirus software) first.

Zenobia - Glad I'm not the only one, and by the looks of your notation ("Spybot Advisor Team"), you probably are "in the know".

I was originally looking for help with a message that appears when SpyBot is started. The situation below appears to have corrected itself. The message says something about removing robot advertisements that open when other programs are executed, may prevent those other programs from running properly.

I leave my PC on overnight to run security checks. In the morning, SpyBot is waiting for me to click "OK" to that message ("Don't show me this message again" had been checked previously). I had to re-check the box, then click "OK" (SpyBot starts to auto-scan for problems). I then click on "Stop scan", but SpyBot greys out and it won't close. After waiting several minutes, I have to use Task Manager or Process Explorer to kill SpyBot so I can shut down the PC and head to work.

Anyway... for some odd reason, this morning the message was not waiting for me . SpyBot ran a scan in the wee hours of the morning unattended.

Glad Spybot was able to run a scheduled scan.
    If the advertisement warning from Spybot starts popping up again,please post back.
    Last edited by Zenobia; 2009-08-21 at 03:11.