Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: WGA (Windows Genuine Advantage)

Turning it off will not be a long term solution.

Consider reviewing the WGA blog for the listing of issues, and then posting your issue in the WGA forum
    Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2018-
    Windows Insider MVP 2016-2018
    Microsoft Consumer Security MVP 2006-2016

Hi Tashi,

I know this doesn't really 'fit' in the Spybot forum, but since you suggested reading the WGA blog [which I did ] I'm hoping maybe you might have some thoughts on this.

We have 3 puters here, two Dells and a Compaq [which prob doesn't matter]. Two came with their own Windows CD; one Dell and the Compaq - sometimes where you buy them don't bother giving you the CD.

Now, one puter probably doesn't matter since it's never updated for anything and is not connected to the internet for ANYTHING exect networking between the other two puters. It's primarily for backup and secondary that the children's games are on it. This one never came with a CD.

I discovered one day that both my hubby's and my puter's have the exact same Windows installed [same OEM number (the backup one does as well, but as stated above, it didn't come with a CD, I don't think it'll matter too much since it's not 'allowed' on the net)], which I know isn't right. Now, of course, even though I keep ALL our disk's for each puter in it's own box, I can NOT find a 2nd CD for Windows. I've been searching systematically for the other CD, I know I have to find it eventually - I have the little booklet it came in, but for some reason there's no CD in it .

My question is: is there a way to find out which OEM is supposed to be on which puter so I know who has the right one and who doesn't? Does it matter that the same OEM is put on the same puter it was originally put on?

Thanks,
    Teesa

Hi Teesa.

Instructions on how to verify if you have a genuine copy of Windows:

http://forums.spybot.info/showpost.p...44&postcount=2

Use "Windows Validation Assistant" for each PC and let us know how it goes.

Hello,

I bought my PC from "Comet" a few years ago (er 3 or 4 I think), everything was pre-loaded - *everything* - thats the way it used to be. What the hell am I supposed to do?? I paid for and am using the PC in good faith.

I bought a second-hand (from a `proper` registered dealer) laptop for my wife 18 months ago - it also had *everythying* pre-installed.

Does MS realy think we all go out and buy `Windows XP` and the like seperate from our PC - we might not buy it if we did!!
    OR - do MS think we all go out - after buying an expenxive machine - to buy something which is not genuine??

This whole business stinks - we users are paying hard cash (twice) for dealers on the fiddle - MS should `get` them not us.

blind_I
    Some people know bugger all but I know bugger nothing <(O)^(=)>

Hello blind_I

I know it is frustrating and there are venues where you can make your concerns heard.

Speak to us at Microsoft! » Windows Genuine Advantage Talkback

An interesting topic:
    http://forums.microsoft.com/Genuine/...0809&SiteID=25

Questions and comments posed in a reasonable way will always be appreciated I'm sure.

Best wishes.

Post Spybot put WGA in Spybot Spyware db.

Move To : New or undetected SubForum

WGA is technically spyware

Two reasons why:

(1)WGA is mandatory, and you can't uninstall WGA. It also does unauthorized spying. It sends data to Microsoft. Since they put it in SP2 customers aren't notified Microsoft is spying on you.

It's forced spyware.

(2)I had a incodent where my operating system was secretly sending data to www-.fbi.-gov without permission.

Also we don't really know what WGA is sending. Is Microsoft really telling the truth about WGA. Should someone, or the CDT monitor WGA to see what it reports, what it does?

I need proof it's not spyware. If not WGA needs to be in the Anti-Spyware databases because I don't like a program that spies on you by Microsoft which you can't remove. Espically reporting all the time. They know I paid for XP and shouldn't have to keep reporting my XP's key all the time. They could be spying on me too. Espically the index.dat files.
    Last edited by alexbill; 2006-09-19 at 21:29.