Thread: Please help, Spybot S&D keeps freezing

Unhappy Please help, Spybot S&D keeps freezing

PLease help, i just downloaded spybot S&D 1.4 and downloaded all the updates. then when i use the serch and destroy feature the program just freezes. i havent had much protection on my computer and i dont know what to do. please help

Hello,

Please delete the contents of your Windows temp folder and try it again: For that purpose, please run Spybot-S&D and switch to "Advanced mode" via the menu bar item "Mode". Now select "Tools" --> "Secure Shredder" from the navigation bar on the left. There select "Add files from temp folder" from the drop down menu on the top (hit the small arrow next to templates). Then "Chop it away!"

You can also try the following:
    - select "Settings" --> "Settings" in the navigation bar on the left and untick the checkbox in front of "display confirmation dialogs"
    - exit Spybot-S&D so the settings are saved
    - run Spybot-S&D and "Check for problems" again

Expect it to run slowly, it appears to hang. Please be patient - it should clear with the problems fixed.

If it still doesn't work please select "Settings" --> "Settings" from the toolbar on the left. In the section "Main settings" please untick the checkbox in front of "Create system restore point when fixing spyware/usage tracks".

Best regards
    Sandra
    Team Spybot

i am having the same problem. i have just installed spybot s+d but everytime i run it the program freezes. this happens at different stages ranging from the start of the search untill almost the end. i have tried using the advanced mode and the secure shredder but this freezes it instantly, and i have to use my task manager to end the program. please help.

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

Cheery:

Spybot has been known to hang on some systems with HyperThreading Technology.

Does your processor have HyperThreading Technology? If so, try running Spybot on one CPU and see if the scan completes. To do that:
    • Open Spybot, then leave it alone.
    • Open Windows Task Manager and go to the Processes tab.
    • Right-click on SpybotSD.exe and choose "Set Affinity...".
    • On the box that comes up, check/uncheck boxes so that ONLY "CPU 0" is checked.
    • Go back to the already-open Spybot, and run a scan.

Hopefully the Spybot scan will complete without hanging or losing responsiveness.

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

thats sorted it. thank you!!

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

Cheery:

How?

Was it a HyperThreading Technology problem? If so could you indicate the processor you have?

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.