Thread: Problem displaying one site

Default Problem displaying one site

Since I installed Spybot S&D v1/6/2, I have had a problem displaying site www.megago.com after Immunizing with all boxes checked. I am running WindowsXP Home Edition w/SP3, and IE 8. Before I immunized, I was able to display this site without a problem. After I immunized with all boxes checked, I could not display the site. I then de-immunized with all boxes checked, and I could display this site again. I tried displaying this site from another PC running Windows 98SE with IE6. The site came up, but a message came up saying it blocked a pop-up offering me to sign up for an email account. (I am not running Spybot on this machine). I tried allowing Pop-ups in IE8, bit it still did not work. Is there any way to tell which part of the Immunization is causing this problem? Was it wrong to check all boxes during the immunization? Is there a way to allow this particular site to be displayed? Any help you can give me would be appreciated. Charles Ranheim

cran, are you certain that this site is a favorable site to visit because it has a lot of negative feedback from the Web of Trust community...
    http://www.mywot.com/en/scorecard/megago.com
    -
    When I look at the feedback, I saw "browser exploit" and that is simply enough to convince me to avoid the site.

Spybot-Search&Destroy blocks sites (Immunization) for a good reason.
    Are you still willing to visit that site?

I don't have to display this site if it is a security risk. I used to go there because it had many topics to choose from. When I could not get to the site, I did not know if the site was having a problem or if was being blocked by Spybot via IE 8. There is an option in IE8 under Tools, Spybot-Search Destroy configuration. Under settings I selected "Ask for Blocking Conformation". I thought this would alert me this site was a problem, and ask me to confirm the block. Under the Allowed and Denied tab, nothing was ever listed leading me to believe Spybot was even causing this issue. Based on this, is my IE8 failing to log the fact the site was blocked, or is there some problem in Spybot that did not pass the correct information to IE8 so that I would have know something blocked this site, instead of it just being a site problem. Perhaps I am just missing some option somewhere. Thanks for your time, I really appreciate it. Charles Ranheim

You just missed out on how Spybot's BHO works. It is the Windows HOSTS file that works the blocking. Spybot-Search&Destroy merely blocks the website for the user's safety (to prevent a possible infection by simply going to that site). Logically, your method sounds about right. But in reality, Spybot's BHO blocks malicious ActiveX and cookies that actively attempts to infiltrate your system.

The easiest way to unblock this, without having to Unimmunize is to simply remove this site (127.0.0.1 [site]) from your HOSTS file (either manually if you know your way around the system or use HostsXpert. But the drawback in this case is that there is no specific way to delete any site from Spybot's Immunization. If you remove it from the Immunization, I did recall there will be an one less count in the "Global (Hosts)" column in the Immunization tab. It might be an irritation because it'll be like that until you reimmunize and the megago site will return to the HOSTS file.