Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does Windows 7 RC install on a blank drive?

Default Does Windows 7 RC install on a blank drive?

Windows 7> Windows XP. Simple.
    Anyways, I would like some advice on this question. I plan to reformat my HD, but the catch is that it is with DBAN's Nuke and Boot. Which literally erases everything. Will Windows 7's .iso (burnt to a disc) run after I restart my PC after running a DBAN sweep?

Esteemed Member

If you're talking about a Windows 7 RTM installation disk, yes it will.

However, if you have purchased an upgrade copy it will require some sort of indication that a previous Windows operating system was installed at some point, though there's usually a way to do this that doesn't require it to be present now.

I've only installed from a full retail version installation, so I'm not sure how Win 7 determines this, though some of the older OS versions required you to insert the previous versions disk as proof.

Bitman

drragostea, in addition to bitman's advice, and noticing RC is in your subject title.

The RC will expire on June 1, 2010. Starting on March 1, 2010, your PC will begin shutting down every two hours.
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows/win...tructions.aspx

March 1, 2010 isn't so far off, five months. RTM to consumers is in October 2009.
    http://windowsteamblog.com/blogs/win...ows-7-rtm.aspx
    Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2018-
    Windows Insider MVP 2016-2018
    Microsoft Consumer Security MVP 2006-2016

Thanks bitman and tashi. I'm convinced now about not to install the RC. Mainly because in five months, it's going to shut down . But if the RTM installs fine on a blank drive, then the RC does not work?

bitman, I'm not quite sure by what you mean when you said "upgrade copy". Did you mean Vista>Windows 7 RTM?
    ~
    What would the screen look like after you wipe the drive with DBAN and restart (assuming there is nothing in the CD drive, so it won't be reading anything)? A blank screen? Or a message in a MS-DOS format that tells you that the drive is blank?

Esteemed Member

See the pricing for the various versions at the Microsoft Store. Note that the initial page is all Upgrade versions which require that the PC originally have another Windows OS that's approved for an upgrade.

There's also a note on the same page stating: "Microsoft designed Windows 7 Upgrade media for Windows Vista. Customers with Windows XP can purchase Windows 7 Upgrade versions but must back up their files, clean install, and then reinstall their applications. "

http://store.microsoft.com/microsoft...7/category/102

There's also a link to View Windows 7 Full Versions that simply toggles the Upgrade/Full version pricing on the same screen, since the price is the only real difference. As I mentioned though, I don't know what 'proof' of a previous license Microsoft is requiring, since I haven't worked with an Upgrade copy, only Full install from scratch versions of RC and RTM.

The exact message given by a PC when no operating system is installed varies since it's specific to that computer's BIOS, but it's typically something like "No operating system" or Missing operating system".

Bitman

Thanks bitman. Have a good day.

Lightbulb drragostea...

Did you pre-order windows 7? I did when they had the special offer where it was only $50 when you pre-ordered. Can't wait for my october copy haha. Anyways, ya you only have 5 months, but you can install it alongside xp or vista just to have a operating system to mess with, try it out, etc. Anyways, I hope you can get it. It really is that good. And when it does that shutdown thing cause the time ends up, it only does it every 2 hours. So its not completely worthless. You can just turn it on again later haha. But ya, install it alongside something if you want. Main OS obviously would not be good choice, but ya. Let me know what you do!
    Last edited by 129260; 2009-10-02 at 17:21.

Quote Originally Posted by 129260 View Post
    And when it does that shutdown thing cause the time ends up, it only does it every 2 hours. So its not completely worthless. You can just turn it on again later haha.

Microsoft is actually saving you money on your electricity bill. I'd imagine that most people after having their pc's switch off every two hours wouldn't want to be near the damned thing. Of course, any savings would quickly disappear if you decided to go watch some TV instead.

I don't want to pre-order a copy because the RTM version will not suffice with my current hardware. I just plan to dump my old PC and purchase a brand new desktop. Preferably a DELL or HP. I like their towers .

It's been six years since I (rather my family) bought our first desktop (Windows XP) in 2003, and I've found a perfectly good reason to upgrade because not only is it Windows 7, good hardware and equipment is cheap these days.

Thanks guys.

Quote Originally Posted by 129260 View Post
    And when it does that shutdown thing cause the time ends up, it only does it every 2 hours. So its not completely worthless. You can just turn it on again later haha.
    Ugh.

Quote Originally Posted by drragostea View Post
    I don't want to pre-order a copy because the I just plan to dump my old PC and purchase a brand new desktop.
    drragostea I think you will like Windows 7. Good luck, hope you are enjoying that new PC soon.
    Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2018-
    Windows Insider MVP 2016-2018
    Microsoft Consumer Security MVP 2006-2016