Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Global (Host)

Default Global (Host)

My global host in Immunize will not change to being protected after each update. What do I do to change that? I'm very new at this so please explain.
    Thanks.

After the update, click on the Immunize tab (Shield) and click the Immunize button (Green Cross).

Default Global (Host)

I did that and it still will not say that I am protected. It says that I am not protected by 10000. All the boxes are checked. My operating system is Windows XP, Service Pack 3.
    Thanks,

Which sections are not being Immunized exactly?

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Sequoyah View Post
    My global host in Immunize will not change to being protected after each update. What do I do to change that? I'm very new at this so please explain.
    Thanks.
    If Global (Hosts) is checked, Spybot adds entries to the system's HOSTS file during immunization. If you have a firewall or some other security application that has the capability to lock your hosts file, then Spybot Global (Hosts) will show as unprotected after immunization.

I recently upgraded my ZoneAlarmPro firewall version, and while tinkering with the settings, I configured it to lock the hosts file. That was about a week ago, and I forgot about it until today when I updated Spybot. Sure enough, 38 Global (Hosts) were not protected, or not added to the hosts file. I was about to post here and ask for help when I remembered the ZoneAlarmPro setting.

I promptly unchecked the lock feature in the firewall and re-immunized Spybot and all unprotected items are now protected!

Bottom line, see if you have something locking your hosts file.

Good luck.

What ChalupaPatrol wrote is indeed one of the most common reasons. In Spybot 2.0 we'll inform the user about such possible reasons at the end of incomplete immunizations. Here is a list of similar special cases.
    Just remember, love is life, and hate is living death.
    Treat your life for what it's worth, and live for every breath
    (Black Sabbath: A National Acrobat)

Default Global (Host)

I only have the Windows XP firewall.
    My Operating System is Windows XP,
    AMD Athlon X2 with
    Firefox 3.0.4
    Everything is updated, and is scanned weekly for all bugs.
    I do not understand why the "Global (Host)" is not immunizing.
    Do I need to un-install and re-install the program and see if it will help?
    Any other suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by Sequoyah View Post
    I only have the Windows XP firewall.
    My Operating System is Windows XP,
    AMD Athlon X2 with
    Firefox 3.0.4
    Everything is updated, and is scanned weekly for all bugs.
    I do not understand why the "Global (Host)" is not immunizing.
    Do I need to un-install and re-install the program and see if it will help?
    Any other suggestions?
    Since I don't use Windows firewall, I couldn't tell you if it has a feature that allows you to lock the hosts file. Perhaps someone will assist you with that.

If I were you, I'd check to see if your hosts file is locked down (Read-only). Navigate to C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc\HOSTS, right-click the HOSTS file and select Properties from the drop down menu. If Read-only is checked, remove the checkmark. Click Apply and OK. See if that helps.

Default Global(Host)

I did what you said to do, and it did absolutely nothing. I'm really not going to worry about it any more. It does bother me that I can not keep my computer safe, with all these jerks thinking that they are ruining Microsoft when they are really hurting the little guy who has to pay to get rid of all the bugs they put out there.
    Anyway thanks for all the help that you gave to me. It gave me some insight on how really bad I am about computers and software. But I am learning little by little.
    Thanks again.
    Sequoyah

Hi Sequoyah

I'm really bummed that you are still having this trouble. I think you can discover the cause and remedy it, especially since you say you are learning.

Please tell us if you followed PepiMK's directions and clicked on the link he provided.

Most everyone knows this, but perhaps you don't... PepiMK is the author of this fine software program we are using, and his word is golden. Please double-check his "various reasons for incomplete immunization". If you fit any of the following categories, there's help right around the corner!

Vista user
    Computer Associates software user
    AVG Antivirus user
    ZoneAlarm user
    STOPzilla user
    Firefox 2 user

Thanks for posting back and keeping us updated!