Thread: WorksFUD

Smile WorksFUD

I have a program in my registry startup menu that is called WorksFUD. Has anybody heard of this who can tell me if it's legitimate? My computer just restarted itself without any prompting and I was in the middle of a lot of work I lost.

Also whenever I wake my computer up from hibernation (windows xp) I have a request to go online on behalf of Symantec. Seems wierd that they need the internet every day.

Any good advice is appreciated. I have spybot 1.4, ad-aware se, Norton a.v., spywareblaster (though I'm using firefox), Windows Defender too.

Hello.

Quote Originally Posted by woody
    I have a program in my registry startup menu that is called WorksFUD. Has anybody heard of this who can tell me if it's legitimate?
    http://castlecops.com/s4526-WorksFUD.html
    A marketing program for MS Works.
    "N" - Not required - typically infrequently used tasks that can be started manually if necessary
    Also whenever I wake my computer up from hibernation (windows xp) I have a request to go online on behalf of Symantec. Seems wierd that they need the internet every day.
    The application will access the internet several times daily for the latest anti viral updates.

One's computer could shut down suddenly for many reasons, did you receive an error message? On a side note, Norton is well known for being a resource hog.
    Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2018-
    Windows Insider MVP 2016-2018
    Microsoft Consumer Security MVP 2006-2016

I have a program in my registry startup menu that is called WorksFUD. Has anybody heard of this who can tell me if it's legitimate? My computer just restarted itself without any prompting and I was in the middle of a lot of work I lost.
    WorksFUD is part of Microsoft Works 6.0 [2001] and higher. I use a version of MS Works that has WorksFUD and it is not required for Works to function properly. It's loaded at startup from the Windows Registry. Open Registry Editor [regedit.exe], search for the WorksFUD entry and delete it. The Works 6.0 software that I have can work fine without WorksFUD loaded at startup.