Thread: Disappearing reg change

Default Disappearing reg change

I allowed a reg change last night thinking it was something else; now I'm not sure. After I did it and later shut down the computer the shutdown box took a long time to come up.
    This am. I looked into things a bit and saw in 'tools', and then 'resident' I think, a listing for that date and time last night.
    I did some research on it, was 'rtnx.dll', and didn't find anything conclusive about it with various surfing on many sites. Most warning sites don't list it as a problem, one said to delete it.
    I did a delete of all temp int. files and it took a long time to even find the file, but then did so and deleted most except a few that seem to be attached to running pages. I was going to do more deletion but did this;
    Here's the problem/question though;
    In looking at different things about Spybot I did a fix on the old bug in the popup button. I did the download of the res Hacker and so on and followed all the directions exactly.
    Now, when I went back to the 'tools' I no longer see the change that was made last night; there are no changes since January. I'm worried that it somehow got under the radar because teatimer was shut off when I did the button fix. Any thoughts/comments? Am I explaining enough?
    Thanks

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

I can't even begin to guess what the nature of the change involving 'rtnx.dll' was without additional details.

A thought about the title of your post, "Disappearing reg change" and why you may no longer be able to see the changes when you go into Spybot > Mode > Advanced Mode > Tools > Resident.

There is a button on that screen labeled "Archive log". If you click that button, the current "Resident" log is achieved and the next time that you go into Spybot > Mode > Advanced Mode > Tools > Resident, the "Resident" log will appear to be empty. This does not quite explain the statement "… no changes since January …" in the following statement since all changes are normally achieved leaving the current "Resident" log empty, rather than with changes from prior dates:

Quote Originally Posted by jerryc
    Now, when I went back to the 'tools' I no longer see the change that was made last night; there are no changes since January.
    If in fact you intentionally or inadvertently clicked the "Archive log" button the achieved log(s) should still be available. The "Resident" log(s) are normally stored in one of the following directories depending on the operation system you are running:
    • Windows 95/98
      C:\Windows\Application Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy\Logs
    • Windows ME
      C:\Windows\All Users\Application Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy\Logs
    • Windows NT/2000/XP
      C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy\Logs

The file names are:
    • Resident.log (for the current log).
    • Resident.yymmdd-hhmm.log (for archived logs - where yymmdd-hhmm = date and time of when the log was archived).

These logs can normally be opened in Notepad by double clicking on them. If the log with the actual register change(s) that you are concerned with is available, consider coping and pasting the pertinent portions of that log into another post in this topic, and possibility someone may be able to help you.

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

Default Thanks for reply

I didn't click the log button. All the entries are there that were there except the last one, the one I'm posting about.
    So I don't know what happened to it and am not sure what it was for, and now although things seem mostly fine I do think shutdown and a couple of other things are slower; temp int files and temp especially. No popups so far, no other signs of malware.