Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sybot Scan Time

Esteemed Member

Interesting, someone complaining that a scan is too quick, that's a new one!

However, I wonder if by any chance they have finally found a way for the scan engines to use more than one processor core? If so, your processor utilization during the scan should exceed the normal 25% max, since I believe this would be typical on your system as it appears it's basically a quad core?

If the reinstall doesn't change anything, take a look at this possibility and let us know.

Bitman

Bitman

Thank you for taking an interest in my problem.

I opened the task manager and went to the resource monitor. Here is what I found:

Before launching Spybot S&D, the CPU usage was 1 to 3% and memory usage was 1.52GB.

After launching Spybot, the CPU usage was 3 to 27%, memory usage was 1.53GB, the average CPU was 15.23% and the percentage of memory used was 26 to 28%.

Note: This was after reinstall and it still took less than 6 minutes.

I hope this will answer your question.

thanks and regards
    johnb

PS: I would have put the results in a table for easier reading but this crappy editor wouldn't allow it.

Esteemed Member

johnb,

I don't see anything in particular that seems abnormal in those numbers. I don't currently have a PC with that much processing power available, but I'd guess that is relatively normal in such a case.

Looking back at your original post, I realize you weren't asking due to a change in scan time, but rather because some AV scans were much slower. This is because Spybot S&D isn't a file scanner, instead it searches the registry at high speed amd follows the registry entries down to the actual malware.

Rob