Thread: 403 error for anyone in my LAN

Default 403 error for anyone in my LAN

Hello,
    I have a strange problem for a long time and it's making me loose my mind, so here it is..
    I used to be able to access a website "disclose.tv" and download ".flv" files from it using "Internet Download Manager" with no problems till 3 weeks ago.
    with no changes made to any software or hardware I suddenly couldn't resume the download I paused 10 minutes before in "IDM", so I tried going to the site and it displayed:

403 Forbidden
    Forbidden
    You don't have permission to access /members/action/videolist/videotoprated/ on this server.
    Apache/2.2.8 (Ubuntu) PHP/5.2.4-2ubuntu5.7 with Suhosin-Patch mod_ssl/2.2.8 OpenSSL/0.9.8g mod_perl/2.0.3 Perl/v5.8.8 Server at http://www.disclose.tv Port 80

So these are the things I tried:

1. using Firefox, IE and Chrome... the same error
    2. emptying the cache, cookies history, temp internet files ...etc.... the same error
    3. changing my PC's IP... the same error
    4. disabling firewall... the same error
    5. disabling anti virus... the same error
    6. logging on from another computer out of my network... it worked with no problems
    7. sending an message to the website's administrators from another computer. they didn't contact me
    8. accessing the website through proxy... it worked
    9. resitting my router's settings to it's default.. still the same error
    10. accessing the website from another PC in my home in the same LAN "connected to the same router" ... still the same 403 error

and i think i've tried other stuff but i just can't recall..

i'm running A Home PC
    Windows XP SP3
    No firewall
    Antivirus: NOD32 2.5
    Router:TP-LINK TD-8840T Firmware Version:1.0.2 Build 080520 Rel.36329

I posted this in Here because I think the problem has nothing to do with windows, but it's from the router ... I think.

If you need any more Information please tell me... appreciate your help

I think you will find this error is coming from the server not your router. I have seen this 403 error on several websites I have managed and it is normally caused when the file or folder permissions have been changed on the server to block unauthorised access or suspect behaviour.

The main clue I believe is the message you are getting:
    403 Forbidden - You don't have permission to access
    /members/action/videolist/videotoprated/
    on this server.

Obviously you will almost certainly need to be a member to access this folder on the server - but then your Download Manager may also need the correct access permissions on the server to allow it to locate the filenames it is looking for. The Server admins may have changed these permissions - which then blocks downloads by some or all methods.

Quote Originally Posted by DougCuk View Post
    I think you will find this error is coming from the server not your router. I have seen this 403 error on several websites I have managed and it is normally caused when the file or folder permissions have been changed on the server to block unauthorised access or suspect behaviour.

The main clue I believe is the message you are getting:
    403 Forbidden - You don't have permission to access
    /members/action/videolist/videotoprated/
    on this server.

Obviously you will almost certainly need to be a member to access this folder on the server - but then your Download Manager may also need the correct access permissions on the server to allow it to locate the filenames it is looking for. The Server admins may have changed these permissions - which then blocks downloads by some or all methods.
    Thanks for your help, I understand now that the block is from the server.
    but about the unauthorised access, this site is like YouTube exept that the videos is about UFOs, Paranormal, conspiracy theories .. etc.. you can access it without logging in so everyone is authorised...

and about suspect behaviour I never acted with a stange behavior, I watched the videos and downloaded them, and i know this is ok because they offer you this free flash FLV video downloader if you want to save the videos, exept I used "IDM" because I'm more used to it...

so i don't need to be a member to access the site, although I'm already a member, it's a free registeration, and it's not a certain folder I can't access, it's any folder, page or file on the website as far as I know..

Finally if the server blocked me, can't I change my identity or the identity of my router as the server see it??? but please not by proxy, I think my bandwedth goes slow when I use it plus I don't really think that it's a practical solution... Thank You

Hello,
    Quote Originally Posted by SyKuSyKu View Post
    Finally if the server blocked me, can't I change my identity or the identity of my router as the server see it???
    If the Server Administrators have blocked you it might not be wise for others to speculate an answer to that.

Best regards.
    Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2018-
    Windows Insider MVP 2016-2018
    Microsoft Consumer Security MVP 2006-2016

Quote Originally Posted by tashi View Post
    Hello,

If the Server Administrators have blocked you it might not be wise for others to speculate an answer to that.

Best regards.
    the problem is I didn't do anything illegal, and I don't even think this is a kind of site anything illegal can be done to... anyway what is the information I need to send the website's administerators and say "here's my info. please check it and if I'm being blocked due to an error, please unblock me " and where and how do I get this information??? Thank You...
    Best Regards.

This happens to me too but not very often. This problem appears automatically and disappears in 10-15 minutes. I have contacted my ISP and they said that this isn't a problem from their side, I must check my PC and clean it from viruses. I haven't found a good solution but I don't care because for me it is fixed automatically.
    PS: This is not a website related error since I get this error at Google.com, twitter.com and other big sites too. Worldwide temporary ban for my IP... lol/jk. :P
    Last edited by Zolesz; 2010-07-02 at 03:00.