Thread: Is spybot a complete antivirus?

Default Is spybot a complete antivirus?

Well, I have installed trend micro's Pc cillin 15 in my computers.

I am not very happy with it because it is huge, slow and complicated.
    But it is the corporate antivirus in our university, so it is free for me, that's why a still have it installed.

It is supposed to be a complete anti-virus, anti-spam an anti-spy/malware solution, that has its own firewall too.

In the past two weeks I got infected by some ad-ware virus, although I had the antivirus running.
    I made a complete virus scan and it detected nothing.
    I used the microsoft windows defender and run a complete scan, and detect nothing.

Then I found spybot.
    Installed an run it, and it detected 14 spyware programs and deleted them and the ad-ware dissapear.

And it is free!!

Great for you.

But what concerns me now is, may I uninstall PC-Cillin and inhabilitate windows defender?

I don't want three anti virus solutions in my computers.

I was thinking in configuring spybot and the windows Vista own firewall.

Would it be enough?

I suppose it does not detect spam, but, what about other viruses, like boot viruses?

What other free security software would I need besides spybot?

Thank in advance.

spybot is not a anti virus app.it in no way replaces any antivirus application.
    it complents your security,it doesnt replace it.

windows defender~wounld even bother running it imo.
    the deffinitions are not somthing to relly on.

you must only have one anti virus app,witch atm you do.
    more than one and your going to hit a problem.
    m/soft are releasinbg a free anti virus app but windows deffender is not such.

spybot is a great tool for removing spyware ect from your comp once its made it way on there but i has very little in the way off real time proctetion.
    all be it a very solid well worth keeping program.

malwarebytes is another free program deff worth useing.

http://www.malwarebytes.org/

(my spellings poor due to eye operations but thats the right addy,see below)

please check the spelling if you google it youself as there a sponsered rouge look-alike program that tries to con pps into buying the free version,the real version has a lifetime lincince but you can use the free program with no obligation at all.and it works well.

spyblasater (javas cool) like spybot does add another layer off proctection with its imunision (sp) feture.

http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/spywareblaster.html

there a lot more i use like no script,better privacy & ad block alought there firefox add ons.

edit to try and clear up some tyops.
    Last edited by kinos; 2009-10-24 at 15:01.

sorry typo
    its spywareblaster. not spyblaster.
    the site addy i gave was the right one thou.

deff wouldnt fess them up.

ofto play with my youngest,atm while my spelling is so dire,sounds like a better idea.best wishes in your endeavors.

Thanks a lot, Kinos.

I have been wandering about this forum and confirms what you say.

So if I understand it well, I should install an antivirus and firewall program and spybot besides it.

But I supposed that Trend Micro antivirus would have spyware protection and Internet explorer supervision... won't it be in a race condition with spy bot?

Should I have spybot running all the time besides my antivius program, or should I run spybot from time to time?

I am having problems unintalling Pc-Cillin. Now it seems to have been uninstall.

I suspect it is the program which is preventing me from being able to install the Vista Service pack 2.

Thus it may be the time to test other free antivirus.

Will have a look in what you comment.

well i got kicked out of her room so i have more time than i thought.

about trend micro.
    http://forums.spybot.info/vbglossar....howentry&id=11

(macfee and kaspery do the same)

there are unistallers out there if you need them for trend micro and other anti v products,think i have a link,imo its best to use them av`s will leave some reg entries and other remains.

http://uninstallers.blogspot.com/
    http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=233421
    offical link to fully uninstall trendmicro
    http://esupport.trendmicro.com/Pages...ion-faile.aspx
    simply put its a unstaller,they make it so long winded,if the installion fails or not its a unstallier.or a clean up tool.

just do regular scans,you can set spybot up to do them automaticly.
    that future is hidden in default mode,spybot has a advanced mode,see top,click mode,choose advanced,that should release a tools section and settings section at the bottom,choose settings and you should find it there.

there is nil point in having spybot run 24/7.

i really should off mentoied this before,if malware has made its way onto your system,it might be a idea (i would) run a online scan with one of the below.

http://www.eset.com/onlinescan/
    http://www.pandasecurity.com/homeuse...ns/activescan/

not sure what you ment by race but if you mean will one cancel out the other,then the awnsers no.

each anti malware/virus app has differnt deffinitions some are the same to a point,but each differs in various ways,spybot will find stuff trend doesnt and vise versa but they are totally differnt products.

as with all anti v apps some miss what others find.(alought as said spybot isnt a anti v app)

not sure why you cant install vista sp2,there mabye other reasons but a millon miles away so to speak i can only guess.

my only vista experinces are with my daughers laptop witch i get given to when its junked up with malware/virus ect ect.so i must admit to not being fully up to date with vista other than cleaning up stuff i know shouldnt be on there.

you need both a firewall and a anti v app.

well have fun and best wishes.

edit;tyops
    Last edited by kinos; 2009-10-24 at 17:33.

Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2018-
    Windows Insider MVP 2016-2018
    Microsoft Consumer Security MVP 2006-2016

Thank you both for your answers...
    I had misunderstood the objetive of spybot.

I now understand that it depends in other antivirus and firewall tools to get the system secured.

I had to uninstall the Trend Micro and other antivirus to see if I can get the Vista service pack installed, that will be a good in order to secure my system (I cannot get lot of other security updates from MS if I have not installed P2).

The problem is that it does not install in my system.. after step 3 of installing int reverts changes and boots again.

It seems there are some issues with antivirus programs and SP2.
    That is why I uninstall all of them for a while.

Once install I will reinstall Trend Micro and Spybot all together.

I am not very happy with Trend Micro's PC Cillin, but it seems difficult to get a secure system running using free software pieces.

Later on I will try a free Antivirus (AVG or Avast) and a firewall, I have to take an indepth look at the threads you gave me.

Thank you both.

Hi there,
    Quote Originally Posted by ariznaf View Post
    but it seems difficult to get a secure system running using free software pieces.
    All of my security programs are freeware and I haven't been infected in years. To some extent it depends on one's surfing habits.
    Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2018-
    Windows Insider MVP 2016-2018
    Microsoft Consumer Security MVP 2006-2016

I meant that you have to install and configure several different programs, that overlap partially between them and that may get in conflict.

I did not mean that free software is inferior to comercial packs.

But I have not the time now to jump into that war, so I have to install Pc cilling to get some kind of protection.

But later I will follow your opinions and try the softaware mentioned in the posts.

Anyway I would like something simple. Security software is not fun for me.. just a must have.