Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Difficulty in accessing Spybot

Question Difficulty in accessing Spybot

Good Day:
    For some time I have had trouble in accessing Spybot. When I click on my Spybot icon (its in the Quick Launch bar), I get the horizontal "buildup" window.The squares gradually fill in but stop at the last square which remains blank. I have tried waiting for this to complete but it stops there I have to access Spybot then, by going to Programs or Internet. Help would be appreciated.
    EdmundoR
    P.S. Please inform me if I am on the wrong Forum.
    Last edited by EdmundoR; 2009-10-26 at 23:22. Reason: Added note.

From your description,that doesn't quite sound like what I see when I open Spybot.
    Could you describe the horizontal buildup window a little more?
    And could you rightclick the Spybot icon in the quick launch bar,select Properties,click the general tab,and let me know what it says in the top window?

Default Difficulty in Accessing Spybot

Attn:Zenobia:
    Hi ! To answer. I'll try to describe it clearer.
    S per your instructions.....I Rt.clicked the icon.>>properties..This gave me the Properties window Title: Spybot.Search&Destroy.Properties.
    The text read:-
    Show:Target:Files\Spybot S&D
    Start in: :\\ProgframFiles\Spybot
    Find Target: This gave me a window with 20 Spybot icons/links. I clicked one which then produced the horizontal "buildup strip". The squares running left to right fiied in but, as before explained,stopped before the last square where Icould go no further.
    Does this help you to solve th problem ?
    EdmundoR

:

Hi.
    Quote Originally Posted by EdmundoR
    I have tried waiting for this to complete but it stops there I have to access Spybot then, by going to Programs or Internet.
    Could you open Spybot that way,then click Help,and then About,and let me know what version of Spybot you have?
    And what operating system do you have?

Default Difficulty in accessing Spybot

Attn: Zenobia
    Thanks for reply. Tiday (Oct 31) I tried opening Spybot from the icon. Both right click and left click produced the Loading strip again with the same buildup as reported. I opened Spybot>>Forums (to get your message) but there are no "Help" or "About" tabs on this page.
    My OS is Windows 2000 Prof. Spybot S&D v. 1.6.2.46
    EdmundoR

Try booting into safe mode:
    http://www.computerhope.com/issues/chsafe.htm#02
    Then,try opening Spybot,see if it will load then.

Default Difficulty in Accessing Spybot

Attn: Zenobia.
    Sorry for delay. No, your last suggestion re through Safe Mode did not work either. Have re-booted,cleaned up,etc without success.something is stopping the final Log-in. I will keep trying.
    EdmundoR

Please try Step # 1,and let me know if it works:
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt
    Step # 1: Start Spybot via its .scr files

* Click Start
    * Click My Computer
    * Go to C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy
    * In the Tools menu select Folder Options
    * In the Folder Options dialog select the View tab
    * Make sure "Show hidden files and folders" is selected
    * Click Ok

Look for a randomly named file with a .scr extension (JLOSSAOBEIIZCOIQOD.scr for example). Double click on that file.
    If you are using Windows Vista or Windows 7, right click on the randomly named file with the .scr extension and choose run as administrator. right click on the randomly named file with the .scr extension and choose run as administrator.
    http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=50194

* Click Start
    * Click My Computer
    * Go to C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy
    * In the Tools menu select Folder Options
    * In the Folder Options dialog select the View tab
    * Make sure "Show hidden files and folders" is selected
    * Click Ok

Look for a randomly named file with a .scr extension (JLOSSAOBEIIZCOIQOD.scr for example). Double click on that file.
    If you are using Windows Vista or Windows 7, right click on the randomly named file with the .scr extension and choose run as administrator. right click on the randomly named file with the .scr extension and choose run as administrator.

Pardon me for joining this thread. This is on a Win2000Pro machine. I've just re-installed SD three times and can't get it working. I get the same one block short of an loading - and it just goes on and on until I do a Ctrl-Alt-Del and Task Manage it away. In my folder there's no spybotSD.exe - but there is SDMain.exe (404KB). There are no .scr files at all, and no sign of TeaTimer. I had to re-instal because I found SD wasn't working (one block short...) when I remembered I hadn't updated for some time. I've had this happen before, but usually re-installing solves the problem. I'm not a newcomer to SD and have used it on my machines (and for problem solving on others) for years. The first re-install was from my stored download, and the other two from a fresh download from a wonks mirror. I uninstalled the old version before trying again, each time.

Mandoleer
    Last edited by Mandoleer; 2009-12-01 at 01:01.

Hi Mandoleer,
    Quote Originally Posted by Mandoleer View Post
    In my folder there's no spybotSD.exe - but there is SDMain.exe (404KB). There are no .scr files at all, and no sign of TeaTimer.
    The instructions you followed has an omission. When in Folder Options, make sure you uncheck 'Hide protected operating system files (recommended)' as well as making sure 'Show hidden files/folders' is selected. After doing so, continue to follow the instructions posted:
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt
    When you have finished, make sure you go back into Folder Options and re-hide protected operating system files and hidden files/folders.

Best regards,