Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Immunization Problem

In reply to Gopher Johns post,,I'm the only user of the computer so I found the Opera in the,,,C/documents and settings/owners/application data/opera,,I don't understand about changing a name as theres no name associated except "ower",,should I rename owner to something else??? But,,to ask again,,if I can't get this to immunize these 3 cookies will my computer be at risk for anything. Is there anyway without me screwing things up to try to uninstall Opera if thats even possible??? I'm not looking to do anything technical that I'm not good at,,my biggest concern is any risks these cookies pose. BTW the Opera folder says it was modified on 12/15/2005,,maybe I did install something but I sure don't remember,,,but,,until this weeks update every cookie in the opera was immunized. This is the first time I've had any problems with the immunization of anything.
    Last edited by firebrddriver; 2009-10-29 at 22:24.

Default Immunization Problem

Sure enough, there was an Opera directory under my userID - noplace else.

Obviously at some time during the history of this machine I must have installed and uninstalled Opera - don't know how else it could have gotten there.

In any case, delete the entire Opera directory - problem solved. I did not have any other instances (or users) but if I had, would have dumped them too.

It is still a mystery to me why - when I update Spybot regularly - and have not used Opera since I can remember - Spybot would all of a sudden pick up 3 suspicious Opera cookies.

Water under the bridge now in any case.

@firebrddriver

No need to rename anything. I was just trying to point you to the profile which you found. If Opera is not installed, you can delete the Opera folder if you want.

@bobreeves

It is still a mystery to me why - when I update Spybot regularly - and have not used Opera since I can remember - Spybot would all of a sudden pick up 3 suspicious Opera cookies.
    SpyBot S&D's Opera cookie immunization increased from 193 to 196 with the 2009-10-28 update. The cookies were not found in the profile, instead the 3 new cookies couldn't be immunized.

What puzzles me is that for me the Opera cookies issue only presented itself after updating to Opera 10. Something is truly quirky with the way SpyBot Search & Destroy interacts with Opera, since you'd remember Opera 10. It's only been out a few months.

Hopefully, SpyBot S&D 2 will solve these little niggles. It's not a big deal, as it's only cookies.

Glad you got it sorted for youself.

Quick question,,if I had installed Opera at some point,,and then un-installed it (as I can't find anything in my programs folder or my "add or remove" in my control panel),,is this all something i shouldn't even be worried about??? Being a computer novice even something as small as this worries me.

Quote Originally Posted by firebrddriver View Post
    Quick question,,if I had installed Opera at some point,,and then un-installed it (as I can't find anything in my programs folder or my "add or remove" in my control panel),,is this all something i shouldn't even be worried about??? Being a computer novice even something as small as this worries me.
    If you have no other traces of Opera other that the profile folder, the Opera immunizations are of no concern. OTOH, loss of memory as to whether you did install and then remove Opera could be a medical concern. We all have our moments.

If you are surfing as Admin, I'd be more concerned about that, from a security standpoint. Better to surf as a limited Windows user.

OK just found something interesting,,,In the Opera folder under "profile" I noticed some cookies,,I sent them to my re-cycle bin and then re-immunized and the unprotected cookies for Opera now says "0",,I then restored the deleted cookies back to the folder and tried to immunize and the 3 unprotected cookies showed up again...can I just send these back to the recycle bin ,,empty it,,and not expect any problems???,,I don't want to delete them until I know I won't screw something up,,,,thanks for all your help.

Anyone have any suggestions as to my last post,,thanks.

Was wondering if anyone can reply to my latest post about the cookies I found,,and I was never told if I'm at risk for anything if they remain,,anybody???

Sorry to be a pain but can anyone answer my question,,,thanks

Hello,

That is a little bug which should be fixed with our next updates, which are released on Wednesday.

Best regards
    Sandra
    Team Spybot