Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Ie8: Ad Blocking With The Inprivate Filter - Spybot & InPrivate Filter?

Question Fair enough...

Quote Originally Posted by tashi View Post
    Time out.

Discussion is good, personal attacks are not.
    Fair enough...

I didn't start the fire - I just put it out!

@ bitman -

Where is your response to my challange?

I'm sure you figured it out by now, it's been almost 48 hours...

I give you a guess - The solution begins with the letter "R"...

I am still looking forward to your reply.

poolsharkzz

XP Home SP3+
    Intel Core 2 Duo Processor E7300 @ 2.66 GHz
    2.0 GB RAM (1024 MB x 2) DDR2 PC2-6400 (800 MHz)
    Intel GMA 3100 - Intel G33/G31 Express Chipset

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by bitman View Post
    However, as I stated in my post above, the real issue in this case is the outdated operating system, even though it is still supported by Microsoft. So many have become accustomed to maintaining a plethora of security applications to protect themselves when it would be far simpler to upgrade the operating system and gain not only better security, but also the other features that the newer os includes.
    "Outdated"? How do you define "outdated"?

An OS, like any tool, needs to be suited for the task. An OS, like any tool, is "outdated" only when it cannot effectively and efficiently perform the task required. Understand?

I maintain a fairly large number of computers, both professionally and for family. All are Windows XP. I've standardized on a select few applications for firewall (either Outpost, or Windows Firewall), antiVirus (SystemSuite 7), and malware (Spybot). All are set to automatically update themselves with no user interaction (even Spybot grabs updates from the internet in the background without user interaction!!!).

Security maintenance is virtually zero-effort when you STANDARDIZE, and when you are an experienced professional that knows what you are doing. I gently suggest that "bitman"'s methods are "outdated"
    Last edited by BillGio; 2009-12-09 at 20:22.

Talking About time...

Kudos to BillGio!

Thank you for your response - I've been waiting for another seasoned professional to weight in on this topic for awhile now.

You may want to take a look at this thread: XP and Spybot 2.0

Here is a really good read as well:

Spybot Immunize Plus IE 8 Final Equals Disaster On WinXP SP3

Orginally, after reading over those threads, I was in shock and very upset - was I a bit hard? Maybe, but I really doubt it...

With deep concern, I voiced my distaste (my wraith) over what I felt was information and comments being given in such a charlatanistic way - only to learn there are a few folks that are "fans" thus spent their time defending instead of contributing.

I also have to agree with you - I spend less than 5 minutes per week dealing with security. The only time I focus on security is when a new version of what I'm using is released, then I spend the time researching and reviewing exactly what is "new" with the update before I update.

You see, I don't trust Microsoft in the way some folks do - I mean, do we have to give examples of all the BSODs, error reports, and crashed systems we have had to deal with over the years?

Are we now to trust Microsoft with their User Account Control (UAC) and their new SmartScreen Filter along with the new Cross Site Scripting (XXS) Filter?

Sorry Charlie, I don't think so - no can do - not this crazy cat!

Microsoft should stay out of the security business altogether and stay out of "The Security Company's" way - Let the security company focus of the security aspect and then let Microsoft continue it's focus on designing the next-gen operating system so that I have something to upgrade XP to in April, 2014.

I am glad someone else understood what I was trying to say.

If you can, post back - I would love to read your responses!

poolsharkzz

PS. Internet Explorer 9 will be here sometime next year - let's see what happends then - The Gazelle Browser is just right around the corner...

I doubt either one will be any "safer" than IE6 - Immunized or not.
    Last edited by poolsharkzz; 2009-12-14 at 21:47.
    XP Home SP3+

@poolsharkzz, thanks for your comments!

Referring to those posters as charlatans is a bit harsh - I'd label them "pretenders".

No, I don't blame Microsoft for any of these problems - I blame the people that don't know how to do an initial setup of a Windows computer properly. With Windows computers, an ounce of prevention is worth a ton of cure.

In my extensive experience, it is rare that a computer I've set up experiences problems of any kind. The ONLY time a computer I've set up has problems - THE ONLY TIME A WINDOWS COMPUTER I HAVE SET UP HAS PROBLEMS - is when the computer has that crappy Viewpoint Media Player installed. Regardless of whether you call it spyware or not, it's crappy software that runs with Administrator privileges that multitasks badly. Often, uninstalling Viewpoint will fix any and all IE problems.

I contributed a post on how to PROPERLY update Spybot and immunize here.
    Last edited by BillGio; 2009-12-14 at 22:14.

Talking

I couldn't agree with you more!

The way I see it:

Microsoft builds the house. For the most part - it's a solid house...

Yes, the house comes complete with standard locks on the doors and on the windows. Unfortunately in today's world, standard isn't good enough.

If you don't want to get robbed, I'd suggest changing the standard door and windows locks and replace them with more security-focused products...

and then put up a good fence around the house.

and then put a lock on the gate.

and then get a few dogs.

and then get a few guns.

Yes, all that before you move into the house!

In today's world, you have to be proactive and at the same time be able to quickly react when some zero-day nasty pops up - otherwise you're toast!

Most folks today take a computer out of the box and plug it in and away they go, not worrying about security, maintenance, backup, etc.

Crazy as it seems, I make a part of my living off people just like that! (LOL)

I don't blame Microsoft either, it's just I don't trust them or anyone else with something as important as my home system's security when my wife is paying our bills or doing the banking or shopping online.

Regardless what they say - Microsoft isn't going to reimburse me if someone robs my house, drains my bank accounts, or steals my credit card numbers...

Nor are they because a few "pretenders" out there said that all I needed to do is update my OS and "Microsoft will take care of everything else"...

Which is why I came down so hard on those guys!

I hope there was no one out there that actually took some of that bad advice and at the same time I was making sure "The Powers to be" wasn't either...

It would be a real shame if they were.

poolsharkzz

PS. You know what's really funny?

Not one person from Spybot has asked me more about the orginial topic.

Not one person...
    Last edited by poolsharkzz; 2009-12-14 at 23:35.
    XP Home SP3+

Actually, it's much simpler than that. For one-shot setups for WinXP computers I don't maintain after they see me, I do the following:

1. Log in as Administrator and set a password for that account
    2. Enable Windows Firewall
    3. Install all Windows Updates & disable auto-update
    4. Install Quicktime and configure
    5. Install Adobe Flash & set to auto-update
    6. Install Spybot & set to auto-update
      Enable Resident & Teatimer
    7. Install user's anti-virus (NOT McAfee or Avast - both can hose your computer)
    8. Configure Services
    9. Properly configure all Internet options (takes 20 minutes)
      Allow ActiveX to run, but disable downloading any new ActiveX.
    10. Install user programs (Office, etc) (NEVER AOL)
    11. Set up main user account as LUA
    12. Give them the computer
    13. Drink beer
    14. That's It

That's it. THAT'S IT!

This provides:

• Primary account is a Limited User Account (LUA) - the OS is protected (door is closed)
    • Windows Firewall (door is locked)
    • Spybot (door is steel-bolted)
    • Disable downloading ActiveX controls (door is invisible)

If they install any programs from AOL, including Messenger, I tell them I won't help them do anything else on the computer.

For antivirus, I prefer Trend Micro, because they are the only major antivirus company in the past six years that have NOT released an "update" which mistakes good OS files as spyware (earlier this year, McAfee's updates bricked computers this way - TWICE). Plus, Trend Micro's antivirus uses very little system resources.

Notice that I disable auto-updates on Windows Update. Auto-updates can cause problems. But who cares - if you have a firewall, antivirus, and Spybot, the security "improvements" won't affect you because you're protected. Plus, if you do have problems later, often installing Windows Updates will help by over-writing corrupted OS files for you!

And anyone who uses an Administrator account as their daily login deserves a corrupted computer.
    Last edited by BillGio; 2009-12-14 at 23:59.