Thread: What's Immunization for?

Question What's Immunization for?

Hello,

Even though I've been using Spybot S&D for several years, I've always been fuzzy on how the three basic Spybot functions (Immunize, SDHelper, and TeaTimer) differ from each other. Unfortunately, the FAQ and Tutorial pages give very general overviews and haven't helped much to clear up the distinctions in my mind.

Can anyone out there provide a good description of what each of the three Spybot functions is intended to do? And specifically, what happens (or doesn't happen) if I activate (make resident) SDHelper and TeaTimer, but not Immunize -- what dangers would I be exposing my computer to?

Thanks for enlightening this intermediate user!

The Spybot Immunization function is controlled through the Spybot-S&D tab. It provides four very useful functions:

* Permanently immunizing browser from Spyware
    * Preventing browser from downloading known Spyware installers
    * Preventing Spyware from making changes to browser configuration
    * Locking the hosts file

In the past versions of Spybot - Search & Destroy the Immunization did not work for Firefox, it was only for the Internet Explorer. But since version 1.5.the immunization works also for Firefox, Opera, Netscape, and Flock.

In addition, Spybot-S&D contains the Resident TeaTimer which is completely browser independent. It is a Spybot-S&D tool perpetually monitoring the processes called/initiated. It immediately detects known malicious processes wanting to start and terminates them giving you some options, how to deal with this process in the future: You can set TeaTimer to:

- be informed, when the process tries to start again
    - automatically kill the process
    - or generally allow the process to run

There is also an option to delete the file associated with this process.

In addition, TeaTimer detects, when something wants to change some critical registry values. TeaTimer can protect you against such changes again giving you an option: You can either "Allow" or "Deny" the change.

The TeaTimer is always running in the background.
    O God! can I not save
    One from the pitiless wave?
    Is all that we see or seem
    But a dream within a dream?

Please also consider this link:
    http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=281

O God! can I not save
    One from the pitiless wave?
    Is all that we see or seem
    But a dream within a dream?

Thumbs up

Thank you, Spybotnorma -- I appreciate the explanation and the link.

Do you (or anyone else reading this) know if the Immunize function conflicts with Norton 360? I've been running N360 alongside Spybot for almost a year now with no problems, but I do have Immunize deactivated and honestly I can't remember the reason -- I can only think that it might have had to do with some kind of conflict or incompatibility between Spybot and N360.

In case it helps to know this: I use Vista Home Premium 64-bit, Service Pack 2.

Thanks again!

Spybotrnorma,

One more thing --

You wrote that I can set TeaTimer to automatically kill a process or to generally allow it to continue.

I went into Advanced Mode, but I didn't find any place where I could review the TeaTimer settings and change them. For example, I clicked on Settings > Settings, but I don't see any reference in there to TeaTimer. I also clicked on Tools > Resident, but I only get checkboxes for SDHelper and TeaTimer, no options to modify settings for either one. (And the SDHelper box, while checked, is grayed out.)

What is the sequence of clicks/commands I should follow to get to the TeaTimer settings?

Thanks once more.

Spybotnorma,

Never mind about the last post. I figured out that I could right-click on Sypbot's icon in the System Tray to get at the TeaTimer settings.

But I'm still curious about whether Immunize will work with Norton 360, and why the SDHelper box is grayed out.

Looking forward to your insights on these.

Hello,

There should not be any problems with the compatibility.
    Maybe the SDHelper is greyed out because you have no admin rights.
    Or you have Spybot installed without that feature - you can select that in the installation wizard.

Best regards
    Sandra
    Team Spybot

Default SDHelper Box Grayed Out - Why?

Hi Sandra,

Thanks for the information on Immunize. I'll try activating the function and see what happens.

Regarding SDHelper, I must have installed it in the beginning because the box is checked -- it's just that I can't change the setting because the box (and that whole line) is grayed out. When I go into Control Panel > User Accounts, I am identified as the Administrator, so how could I not have administrator rights? (I'm the only one who uses my computer.) For what it's worth, I'm on Vista 64-bit, SP2.

Thanks again.

Hello,

Windows Vista might tell you that you are not being allowed to operate at the administration level of your computer.
    You can solve this problem as follows:
    Right-click the Spybot - Search & Destroy entry in your start menu,
    instead of just left-clicking to start it.
    Then, choose Run as administrator from the context menu.
    You will find a screenshot of this problem in our FAQ:
    http://www.safer-networking.org/en/faq/42.html

Best regards
    Sandra
    Team Spybot

Sandra,

I tried what you said (right-clicking) and it worked like a charm.

Thanks very much!

--JorgeA