Thread: Spybot hangs when deleting

Default Spybot hangs when deleting

I have been using Spybot on my older computer for several years without a problem. I just bought a new computer and installed Spybot 1.4. I updated it with the update downloads it said I needed.

Unfortunately, Spybot freezes on the new computer. It performs its scans, identifies three problems, and asks if I want to fix the problems. When I click on FIX, it tells it will delete the files after it finishes backing up the registry.

And there it stops. I've rerun the program several times, it always finds the same problems, and always stops after creating a restore point. (I checked, it does create the restore points.)

What can I do to make it work? I am using a Compaq SR1000 with Windows XP for Home. I have 1.2GB of RAM and a 100GB HDD. There are no modifications to the computer.

Terry

Hello,

Please delete the contents of your Windows temp folder and try it again: For that purpose, please run Spybot-S&D and switch to "Advanced mode" via the menu bar item "Mode". Now select "Tools" --> "Secure Shredder" from the navigation bar on the left. There select "Add files from temp folder" from the drop down menu on the top (hit the small arrow next to templates). Then "Chop it away!"

You can also try the following:
    - select "Settings" --> "Settings" in the navigation bar on the left and untick the checkbox in front of "display confirmation dialogs"
    - exit Spybot-S&D so the settings are saved
    - run Spybot-S&D and "Check for problems" again

Expect it to run slowly, it appears to hang. Please be patient - it should clear with the problems fixed.

If it still doesn't work please select "Settings" --> "Settings" from the toolbar on the left. In the section "Main settings" please untick the checkbox in front of "Create system restore point when fixing spyware/usage tracks".

Best regards
    Sandra
    Team Spybot

That seems to have fixed the problem. You are right, though, in thqat it runs slowly. The scan is faster than my previous computer, but the "Fix Problems" takes almost a minute on my new 2GHz computer, whereas on my old 1GHz it took only a couple of seconds. Must be some kind of conflict with the version of XP on the new machine.

But, anyway, thanks a lot for your quick help.

Terry

Spybot freezes when trying to use the Temp files template.

I have a p4 w HT and Spybot now freezes when I try the template. "Advanced mode" via the menu bar item "Mode". Now select "Tools" --> "Secure Shredder" from the navigation bar on the left. There select "Add files from temp folder"

It shreds other files/folders fine, even on usb drives. I tried to have it running and then select the task manger to deselect one cpu as suggested in another thread re: HT processors, but I do not have the option listed.

Thanks.